Some Carpentry jobs

winnie&bezza

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Dekers said:

Great to see this sort of work/skill. :good:

I'm quite handy myself but don't have the skill or tools to do most of that!

Have you really put yourself to the test to be able to say you can’t? 

17 hours ago, Cosd said:

Great skill and craftsmanship. I to love carpentry and have done a lot of similar bits at my home. 

Cos

Thanks mate. Where’s the pics then? 

8 hours ago, BRYAN3 said:

Lovely work there.  Reminds me I have some old pallets to get rid of.

??

5 hours ago, millrace said:

Were the round treads formed on site?

No I got the job through a joinery company I know. They were contacted by the customer and then they recommended me. They supplied the oak treads and bendy oak veneered MDF for risers. Flooring was 20mm engineered board.

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

most things I do go over by about a year and a half, my better half would be delighted with a day and a half.

love the flooring doing something big like that really gives a wow factor.

As for resizing your pictures I've just downloaded a free one, select your pic then just click which ever size fits ie less than 2.9 mb

Haha I better stop moaning then! 

Cheers. It did transform it from that blue carpet I must say. 

Well I’ve downloaded 2 resize apps and they don’t say what mb size it is. Just the pic size I.e. 850 x 1200 or whatever size it is. When I reduce it low, it still says too big. 

I end up sending pics to my email, choosing medium size and then I can resize them on app. Blimin pain!! 

37 minutes ago, winnie&bezza said:

Well I’ve downloaded 2 resize apps and they don’t say what mb size it is. Just the pic size I.e. 850 x 1200 or whatever size it is. When I reduce it low, it still says too big

that's the re size I use, but since the upgrade I haven't really had to use it much

Not harsh the op stated pics of his work,,the flooring is just fitting some one else's work...yea you still need to know what your at but its still just fitting pre made bits....sorry like the decking steps not impressed.....but each to their own...lol (im sure most ppl who have commented also thought he made it not fitted it).....big difference!!! 

Edited by millrace

2 hours ago, millrace said:

Would have been impressed if you made them on site (templates jigsaw router table) but as you just basically fitted a wooden floor the skill lies with the supplying workshop......(sorry just my view)

Your either having a laugh or an idiot. I wouldn’t have a problem making those treads. Long sections just router a nosing and a groove to except tongue of flooring. Curved sections just template, join some 20mm oak over sized, cut with jiggy or router with template and then router nosing. Joiners had it easy (no disrespect nath ?). I had to alter the curves and join more oak on as they wasn’t long enough to mitre. Certainly not a case of just ‘fitting’ pre made sections. 

The lady said she contacted loads of carpenters but they didn’t want to touch it. One said We’ll do a timber floor but keep steps carpeted and one said he charges £300 a day so obviously didn’t want it. 

So really I should take it off my advertising page as I didn’t really do it. 

As title says, Carpentry jobs! 

I can only laugh at the comments above, my old man used to do all his own work, so just fitting someone else's work and it never looked like any of the above pictures.

WP_20180204_09_29_04_Pro.jpg.06b18d9d1fd24e1919e3605176b55aab.jpg

I'm still recovering from the last thing I made, not upto your lads levels but my little girl thinks I'm amazing, wife's design all made from scratch taking most of the summer before a mad rush to finish before her birthday, only nearly caused a divorce. Best bit was the ladder, had no idea really what to do just winged it and it turned out great ? 

Oh how times change, this was 25-26 years ago, my boy wanted a Cabin bed but all the shop ones had shortcomings, so I designed and built one myself from scratch, stair rungs are a broom handle (car spray painted), speakers and electrics installed, cupboards, drawer, shelves, wardrobe, desk, etc.   All made from scratch.

003.jpg.a035be314713b4559eb18291358dc79c.jpg

I was quite pleased at the time, so was my lad!

13 hours ago, millrace said:

Would have been impressed if you made them on site (templates jigsaw router table) but as you just basically fitted a wooden floor the skill lies with the supplying workshop......(sorry just my view)

There’s always one,

I’d be impressed when there isn’t!!

Get over it...he fitted a floor and treads big deal....as a time served joiner (30yrs) myself i see it as basic skill hence not impressed like i said if treads had been made on site then yes fair play but they wernt....i did not at any point say it was poor work.....skill sets have changed nowadays the ability to do things truly bespoke on site is almost a thing of the past....young tradesmen(i use this term losely) dont know how and mostly dont want to be bothered thinking on there feet its either im to busy or wont turn up...they think working on pre-made houses makes them a tradesman....a 60yr old workshop man has a true skill set thats now being lost to the flatpack generation....

23 minutes ago, Dekers said:

Oh how times change, this was 25-26 years ago, my boy wanted a Cabin bed but all the shop ones had shortcomings, so I designed and built one myself from scratch, stair rungs are a broom handle (car spray painted), speakers and electrics installed, cupboards, drawer, shelves, wardrobe, desk, etc.   All made from scratch.

003.jpg.a035be314713b4559eb18291358dc79c.jpg

I was quite pleased at the time, so was my lad!

Nice job there?? I bet he was. 

29 minutes ago, millrace said:

Get over it...he fitted a floor and treads big deal....as a time served joiner (30yrs) myself i see it as basic skill hence not impressed like i said if treads had been made on site then yes fair play but they wernt....i did not at any point say it was poor work.....skill sets have changed nowadays the ability to do things truly bespoke on site is almost a thing of the past....young tradesmen(i use this term losely) dont know how and mostly dont want to be bothered thinking on there feet its either im to busy or wont turn up...they think working on pre-made houses makes them a tradesman....a 60yr old workshop man has a true skill set thats now being lost to the flatpack generation....

If someone put some pics up of work and I wasn’t impressed then I wouldn’t say anything. I wouldn’t dig them out. 

As I have said, I was put forward by a joinery company and they told me they were doing the nosings so I had no say in it. If it was all my job then I’d do them as I like challenges.

You don’t really make sense with the thing on your feet bit. My part I’m in took all the thinking on your feet because I had to alter the treads length etc to make it all work. More testing than cut a few curved sections ina workshop. 

Mans by the way, I hate flat pack and prefer making everything from scratch.

I made that from scratch if it pleases you.

7A92C25E-EEFD-41EE-B55D-4AB9777810BB.jpeg

24FB24CB-E781-4709-BAAF-E190450373EF.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Mice! said:

very nice deckers, the purple is ply pink is mdf over pine? Ladders are ply weighs a ton all put together with twice the number of bolts and screws than probably needed.

:good: Dead right, mine was solid, weighed a ton, over engineered and full of screws, had to be assembled in sections in situ!  That's the way doing it yourself, lasted forever and a right job to take apart when he grew up.

Anyway, yours is well impressive and without doubt shows the passage of time/style/design. 

40 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

yeah that is a lovely stock, don't let ****** get under your skin :good:

I can take justified Cristism but not utterly pointless and stupid comments. 

53 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I'm ordering a stock wow ?? 

Haha cheers. I didn’t want to put pics of that on this thread as I have already put it up on here before.

50 minutes ago, haynes said:

That' a nice stock. It' surprising what you can do with mdf and some crayons

Crayons! It’s walnut veneered MDF I have you know ?.