another,ready for varnish

single barrel

3 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Hi

I have made several with holly shank which have the bark removed but always think they look like a blind mans stick. Which may be the way to go

cheers stimo22, ive never use holly always stuck with hazel, but yeah there not everyone's cuppa tea with the bark stripped.

atb bud....... mark

17 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

If your not using it frequently then watch for woodworm. They just love hazel.  I have a bunch drying in the roof of my garage and forgot to wipe them over with smelly furniture wax which seems to do the job and they are ruined.

thanks for that walker570, il bare that in mind . ive always just cut them and tied them in bundels and left them to dry,

cheers bud 

6 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

My mate said to me , hey you make sticks , yes i said , he says he would like to have ago. I said great. He said how long should i leave them before i make one . I said about a year an inch.WHAT he said the ones i could are near 60 inches long . I said relax an inch diameter,  phew he said .

lol

5 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I like Holly both stripped and with the bark on.....when stripped it dries white but when you treat it with several coats of natural colour hardwood oil, it dries a golden colour......which with a antler top and buffalo spacer looks really nice!

might need to have a bash at making one with holly,. cheers bud

22 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I like to leave the bark on holly and blackthorn, when you grind the joints back and then sand them they produce some interesting colours.

This stick I made back in 1992. The top is antler obviously but what is the wood?

2013-01-15 09.00.29 (533x800).jpg

2013-01-15 09.00.37 (533x800).jpg

nice clean joint there bud, but I wouldn't have a clue to the rod.

that's a fine collection you've got there bud, especially the one on the left, looks like ive still got a fair bit to learn mate

Edited by single barrel
it on the wrong picture

I actually cut that stick in New Zealand and brought it back in my rifle case. I believe they call it lancewood. It is quite hard and I left the outer bark on as it is quite decorative.

I was offered serious money by a number of professional stick makers at the time. Non of them could name it though.

I now fit all of my stick with a sloping joint.  There used to be a stick head carver, name Tom, at the game fairs back in the late80s and early 90s. Really nice guy willing to share his secrets and he told me to use the sloping fitting as it was easier to get a real clean tight fit. I didn't initially believe him until I tried it and this was the first attempt.  Definitely my favorite stick for walking and deer stalking.

On 04/02/2018 at 19:34, Walker570 said:

I like to leave the bark on holly and blackthorn, when you grind the joints back and then sand them they produce some interesting colours.

This stick I made back in 1992. The top is antler obviously but what is the wood?

2013-01-15 09.00.29 (533x800).jpg

2013-01-15 09.00.37 (533x800).jpg

Dog Rose?

Looks like Dog Rose or wild Rose, I have made a few using it and have some left to do 

On 04/02/2018 at 20:50, Walker570 said:

Nice collection there.   You often find a good straight sucker on the side of an old apple. Nice wood to work.

Anyone had any luck artificially inducing a twisted stem?  Put some thick string around a hazel a couple of years ago but it is not making much impression at the moment.

you need to use fence wire and its better if its rusty ,and if your going to cheat make sure you rap the wire round the right way  !

Iv'e got some twisters  spare if anybody  intrested pm me ! (these are real honey suckle)