Anschutz 1517 Not Grouping Over 100yards

Brad93

Hi all. Had my Anschutz for about a year now. Never really shot further than 100 yards. 

I’ve recently got a Rangefinder to start shooting a bit more accurately at longer ranges, but I can’t get the rifle to group >100 yards. 

I’m shooting Hornady 17gn .17HMR Vmax Red Tips. 

At 100 yards is pretty good. See first image. Gave it two clicks up two clicks to the left, see second image. 

But extend that to 120-130 yards and the group really opens up. 

Now I admit I’ve only got a 14” barrel Annie and a cheap Hawke Endurance 3.5-10x50, but should the group really open up that much!? 

I’m shooting off outdoor connection beanbags and feel pretty stable. Perhaps it’s parallax or I’m pulling the shot slightly. 

Or the barrel doesn’t like being shot warm? 

Dare not extend the range any further it might look like a shotgun pattern! 

230BF80B-2FFC-45C0-8E0E-26565F384A6C.jpeg

CC9DE74E-2E0E-4F63-936D-6DCD4BDC9A7D.jpeg

EE1E87F4-C7EA-4F70-8622-BEDF4FBF23A0.jpeg

7C4B1446-1025-4FCC-AF62-AD06A9EB5CBD.jpeg

No, horses in the field next door so didn’t want to make it any louder. 

I might take a little more out of the stock on the left side as you can only just slide a piece of paper under the barrel. 

Im going to give the barrel another good clean. It had about 40 rounds through it today. 8 first rounds were from a bad batch (purple tips). 

The problem you may have is probably born from the mount of fairy tales you read on the internet. You 're led to believe that the HMR will shoot a gnats danglies off at 150 yards. 

But what you have found is that in the real world it's basically a load of tosh.

Got the same rifle but with an 18” barrel. I’d say I get 2” groups at 150 yards. Have played about with going further but only on targets. 

I find point of impact wanders a little when it gets dirty, usually give it a clean, stick 6-8 rounds through it and it’s ok again. 

20 hours ago, Dougy said:

The problem you may have is probably born from the mount of fairy tales you read on the internet. You 're led to believe that the HMR will shoot a gnats danglies off at 150 yards. 

But what you have found is that in the real world it's basically a load of tosh.

This ??

If I was you I would be happy with you 1moa  , that’s about as good as it’s gonna get with your silly speed air gun pellet . 

Just a thought but are you capable of shooting  as good as your expecting your rifle too ?

Edited by stevo

I know its not in the same league trigger wise but my virtually new browning T bolt is doing 1MOA at 100 yards reading a few comments and reviews on the cartridge that's about par for the course for HMR. I did have a while ago a HW60 that would hold 3/4 MOA off the bench being a better trigger.

If you want really tight groups I would look towards at .17 hornet then you can really bring the group sizes down but its a much better cartridge consistency wise that can be also improved by hand loading. 

Mines got a 16" barrel and a decent mod, I shoot the same ammo as the poster with no issues at all! Its important you shoot it in the right conditions but I'm happy to head shoot rabbits well past 150 yards, I've never had a problem with mine but each to there own!! It's a tool for a job and it does it very well for me...

tedly 

6 hours ago, stevo said:

Just a thought but are you capable of shooting  as good as your expecting your rifle too ?

^ this.

I've heard some damned amazing grouping claims... But when I try I'm nowhere near what some claim. When I set up to check zero etc, If I can repeatedly group within the size of a rabbits head at 100-120 yards, off my bipod, leaning on the Defender bonnet then I am more than happy. I KNOW the rifle can do better, but I don't think I can - not without many hours practice and fettling with the gun. I may get flack from some for that, but I'm being honest.

In the real world, I kill many more rabbits than I miss. I'm not looking for pretty target paper groupings to win prizes...

Well I can shoot sub 1/2” with my .22LR and subs at 80 yards. So I’d like to think I can do my bit. 

I could do with a slightly higher mag and finer reticle scope. That would improve my groups a little. 

Out to a 100 yards I’m more than happy, it’s when I want to push it out a bit further. If I can shoot 150 yards with it I would be happy. 

Edited by Brad93

3 hours ago, Tedly47 said:

Mines got a 16" barrel and a decent mod, I shoot the same ammo as the poster with no issues at all! Its important you shoot it in the right conditions but I'm happy to head shoot rabbits well past 150 yards, I've never had a problem with mine but each to there own!! It's a tool for a job and it does it very well for me...

tedly 

Yes, you do shoot well with the rifle - but I think you need to exchange it for a CZ455 Varmint.

My mate has the same rifle.

Like you he gets 1" groups @ 100y.

The only way I can see you getting it tighter is fettling the trigger or perhaps try different ammo.

Having said that he uses his out to about 130 and rarely misses.

The other way to look at it is at 100y the bullet is only going to impact a maximum of 1/2" from the centre of the crosswire which is fairly tight shooting.

Also I have noticed the tiny bullet holes are a bit deceiving and make the group sizes look bigger than they really are.

3 shots with a .30 cal wouldn't look half as bad.

I always mess up sending links so search ' Varmint Al's field testing the .17 hmr'

Quite an in depth article.

Edited by Robertt