Diesel generators

bornfree

picked up three generators this week a 97 kva with a Cummins 6bt. A 31kva with a Bedford 220 and a 52kva with a lister HR4. The lister is a beauty it hadn't run for 8 years and with a charged battery on it fired up after a couple of turns. It must be quite old as the alternator is brushed its producing 415 volts but I haven't load tested it yet.

2 hours ago, bornfree said:

what models did they build there?. ive worked on the small b series and the L10 and 14L big cam truck engines

When i first started we were building the vee engine , we machined every part in plant , the when the "B"  came online we became a build only plant .we built the b series  the 4 the 6 , then the c series started up . I left in 1995 due to ill health a great company to work for , 

8 hours ago, johnphilip said:

When i first started we were building the vee engine , we machined every part in plant , the when the "B"  came online we became a build only plant .we built the b series  the 4 the 6 , then the c series started up . I left in 1995 due to ill health a great company to work for , 

When I first started on the farm we had a ford d series with a Cummins v8 504 it was not the most reliable engine? in the end we replaced it with a Perkins v8 510 and that was only slightly better. 

Edited by bornfree

13 hours ago, bornfree said:

When I first started on the farm we had a ford d series with a Cummins v8 504 it was not the most reliable engine? in the end we replaced it with a Perkins v8 510 and that was only slightly better. 

Oh Perkins was a swear word in our factory. When they designed the "b " series,  it was ment to be a throw away engine , in the block theres no linners , so unable to rework the block with new linners and pistons .they wanted you to buy a short block and rebuild.

At the time they did not know how popular it was becoming, also they did not know how versatile  it could become .with the tightening up on emmisions in the states the fuel pump was able to be update and fine tuned for want of a better word. They started building bigger pumps , on some of the little 4s the pump was nearly as big as the block. It a few years now since i left . And have not realy kept up with what they are building these days .the vast amout we build were for British Leyland . Happy day 

3 hours ago, bornfree said:

We had a 6 bta 180 HP in an ERF 17 ton truck and it did 750,000kms with no problems and was still not using oil. And I've heard of 6b 130HP engines in Leyland roadrunners doing over a million kms.  People have started fitting them in landrovers now.

They are maybe the ones i built :lol: