Clays in portugal

besty57

Hi all 

I'm going to the Algarve in April and looking to shoot some clays ,

I've found one ground called campo de tiro o pinhal, and I've emailed them ,

Regarding what I need to take in the way of paperwork, costs of gunhire clays cartridges etc,

Just wondering if anyone had shot here and has any knowledge of the ground,and of any other grounds , and any thing i should be aware of,

Thanks in advance, 

Al

Edited by besty57
Spelly

A similar question was asked on another forum about Jarapalo in Spain it seems if you take your SGC & EFP you can rent a gun & shoot no problem, if you don’t take them you have to be accompanied by an instructor at an hourly cost - best thing is to email the ground which is what he had done. 

18 hours ago, besty57 said:

I've had a reply and was told I only need my sgc to be able to shoot and by cartridges, 

Just wondering if this is the only ground in the algarve, and if anyone had shot there,

I shot the FITASC UT World Championships there in 2012, came 6th in my category after leading the event for 5 rounds on 124 ex 125. A 22 wrecked my chances of glory and then 47 ex 50 on the final day wasn't enough to drag me back into contention. The three medals went on 195 after shoot offs and my 193 was a case of so near yet so far.  

For trap shooting it is an excellent ground but I can't speak for any other discipline.  There is a small shop on site and it also has a restaurant that was superb.  I stayed in a friend's villa and as it was so hot we didn't venture very far from the poolside when I wasn't shooting. 

There used to be a large shooting ground at Vilamoura, but I think it is now closed and is a housing complex, well that's the rumour.

I shot a Compak Sporting Grand Prix there a few years back, (I think it was the year before Phil's near victory..?)

Good targets, mainly set in / over a wide ravine, so a good mix of birds, well worth a visit, food & drink in the clubhouse was cheap compared to prices generally on the Algarve.

Incredibly steep paths around the ground, so not suitable if you're in a wheelchair..!

As with all grounds abroad, do check the opening times, as they probably only open 4 or 5 days a week, and may not open until 2pm on practice days.

You'll enjoy a visit there.

Cat.

A group of us spent a week in Portugal and incorporated 3 days shooting at O pinhal and had a great time. We returned the following year and received the same warm welcome.

There is a good mixture of targets over the 5 or 6 Compact Layouts and we had our own marker from the ground who looked after us during our visit. We paid for our clays and Cartridges and gun hire at the end of each day which was a reasonable price and then at the end of our visit we chipped in and gave our marker a tip.

They are very accommodating and will set up OT, DT or sporting. The food in the restaurant is very good and not over priced.

I am sure you will enjoy your visit.

Northern Gunner 

On 03/02/2018 at 19:19, besty57 said:

Hi all 

I'm going to the Algarve in April and looking to shoot some clays ,

I've found one ground called campo de tiro o pinhal, and I've emailed them ,

Regarding what I need to take in the way of paperwork, costs of gunhire clays cartridges etc,

Just wondering if anyone had shot here and has any knowledge of the ground,and of any other grounds , and any thing i should be aware of,

Thanks in advance, 

Al

Ive visted a number of times, only showed my SGC once, nice set up, its great shooting in the warmth. Loan guns arent the best, well used. Riu (owner) is really nice chap

• 3 months later...

Well I did visit o,pinhal.on my last day I shot the ball trap ,on my own as there wernt any shooters there apart from one guy from the Portuguese shooting team,i tried to get the g/f to shoot but she wouldn't have it.

He was practicing on the o,t,.so after I had 3 rounds of abt, I went and watched him,it makes you realise how good these guys are, 

I really enjoyed o,pinhal and would recommend it ,if your in the area,