Clock spring

SimpleSimon

Hi all,

Been having a problem with my Xtrail for a while now. The airbag light remains on after starting and flashes constantly, there's a reset using rhythmic turns on/off of the ignition which works initially, but after a few journeys the light comes back on.

Had a local garage look at it the other day and he said likely to be a connector under the seat, which he cleaned (no charge). Light back on a couple of days later.

Now...

A long while prior to the first appearance of the airbag light I noticed that the stereo controls on the steering wheel weren't working. I find they're in the wrong place anyway and so I never use them and ignored it.

The cruise control buttons (opposite side of wheel) do work, as does the horn.

Do you think it's likely to be the clock spring? I was under the impression that the horn and other steering-wheel controls would ALL fail in that case, but I'm basing that on uneducated assumption rather than knowledge!

Bit of googling suggests very likely the clock spring cable, which can fail on any number of its many connections. I also noticed today through experimentation that truning the wheel to certain positions would make the faulty buttons work again, which would explain why the airbag light comes on seemingly at random (I guess after rotating the wheel a certain amount in the right direction)

On 04/02/2018 at 22:41, SimpleSimon said:

Bit of googling suggests very likely the clock spring cable, which can fail on any number of its many connections. I also noticed today through experimentation that truning the wheel to certain positions would make the faulty buttons work again, which would explain why the airbag light comes on seemingly at random (I guess after rotating the wheel a certain amount in the right direction)

should log fault code for driver air bag trigger circuit if clock spring usually wiring under pasenger seat  multi plug