Syndicate prices

stu_young

This is are first year taking over the shoot we have 12 to 14 drives over 1150 acres,

we are going to put down 2000 pheasant 500 partridges and 300 duck,

DIY with work parties two new pens to erect also feeding on rota,

8 guns with pigeon vermin and lots of duck fights and geese

Two 100 bird days will be sold with 10 days to the syndicate members and beeters day.

29 minutes ago, The gouse said:

This is are first year taking over the shoot we have 12 to 14 drives over 1150 acres,

Two 100 bird days will be sold with 10 days to the syndicate members and beeters day.

Sounds like it will be a nice shoot if it all goes to plan, there’s a lot of work on that size shoot and that amount of birds, it would be a full time job for a keeper never mind DIY work parties but good luck and hope it all works out.:good:

2 hours ago, The gouse said:

I'll bet the 'duck fights' are fun to watch too    !   I could imagine the feathers will really fly.   :yes:

16 hours ago, The gouse said:

What is your acreage just asking as you shoot 8 drives for not a lot of birds put down,

is your land good for holding birds can you not up your numder of birds.

what numder as been put down in the past.

I’m not 100% sure on acreage, I’m pretty sure it’s 250+

the land is not the best at holding them, or has not been the last few years but we are looking at improving this. We have some big woods just off the shoot and a shoot next door that does not put any birds down!!

the shoot has been steadily declining that is why me and another gun has taken it on.

we have 2 small release pens that can take 150 each. Recent years we have gone for ex layers but I was to reintroduce poults.

i did want to do an ex layer poult mix but have been told ex layers will drive poults away.

i was going to start a new thread asking for some advice etc

£340 full gun 20-50 birds days shooting 10-12 plus vermin and pigeon shooting and rough walked up days if the birds are about outside the “drives” fair bit of woodcock and snipe on the right years.   Since a new keeper took over bags have been close to 40-50 than old 20-25.  So really got better value over the years. 

£340 full gun 20-50 birds days shooting 10-12 plus vermin and pigeon shooting and rough walked up days if the birds are about outside the “drives” fair bit of woodcock and snipe on the right years.   Since a new keeper took over bags have been close to 40-50 than old 20-25.  So really got better value over the years.

i am intrigued how you manage this, assuming stand an walk with 16 full paying guns and an average bag of 36 that is around £15 per bird. To shoot 360 you would need to release a minimum of 1000. More likely 1200-1500.  That is nearly £4000 worth of poults. A grands worth of pellets,  a grand and a half for wheat. Do you not pay any rent?

24 minutes ago, scolopax said:

i am intrigued how you manage this, assuming stand an walk with 16 full paying guns and an average bag of 36 that is around £15 per bird. To shoot 360 you would need to release a minimum of 1000. More likely 1200-1500.  That is nearly £4000 worth of poults. A grands worth of pellets,  a grand and a half for wheat. Do you not pay any rent?

The keeper must do it for the love off the job also,

2 hours ago, scolopax said:

No rent a lot of members donate spare kit electric fences and batteries fence wires and panels. Fair few wild birds and good husbandry by new keeper see a better than average return on birds. 

10 hours ago, halowa said:

Yes it does add up if you are surround by a commercial shoot releasing 1000’s of birds. 

About the only way this can be done.  Even without rent the numbers barely add up. Might be possible if they rear from day olds, and time and equipment, depreciation etc is not costed. Would love to know numbers released.

on my own shoot just taking into account poults, rent and feed our birds cost £20 + ( I dare not work it out exactly but it is no doubt a big +). This is ignoring the various equipment, quad, fuel, time and beaters on the day. We shoot on average 30 pheasants between five guns, mini driven. 

Lots of members provide free of charge lots of the kit and consumables for the shoot.  

For example

Quad bike and fuel provide by a member. 

I provide all the keepers ammo 

we are surrounded by 3 large shoots and put down around a 1000 pheasants no partridge (but see coveys on a few drives as well as snipe woodcock and duck that are not released) 

There seems to be some unbelievably cheap shooting mentioned here.

I would say most syndicates will not be as cheap or shoot as many birds for the money as have been mentioned, I'd say they are the exception rather than the rule.

My area has heaps of DIY syndicates (possibly too many as almost all of them are short of members) and all are dearer and with poorer returns than wot have been mentioned here.

Many shoots subs are roughly about £1 per bird released, so 1000 birds to wood is around £1000 subs, if ur any cheaper than that u are getting pretty good value.

I know 1 syndicate releasing about 700 birds and is lucky to shoot 20-30 birds even at the start of the season. not a great example but plenty like that do exist and something in between will be the more likely norm

Every syndicate is different but sometimes the bigger bag syndicates u'd be better of buying days, if ur syndicate is priced roughly for 10x100 bird days (ie 1000 birds over the season) u really need to be shooting close to 200 early season as most likely ur end season bags will be down to 50's, many just shoot around the estimated bag size and then they drop off.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 17:36, The gouse said:

It will depend on ur ground but that is not a massive amount of birds to be selling (and guaranteeing 100 bird days) esp in the first season.

Dodgy weather on the shoot day or a disaster or 2 in pens (foxes or disease) could really put the pressure on with not a lot of extra birds in reserve

Also a hell of a work even attempting to carry that out on a park time basis, ur easily talking about 20-25T of feed to be put out

4 hours ago, scotslad said:

There seems to be some unbelievably cheap shooting mentioned here.

I would say most syndicates will not be as cheap or shoot as many birds for the money as have been mentioned, I'd say they are the exception rather than the rule.

My area has heaps of DIY syndicates (possibly too many as almost all of them are short of members) and all are dearer and with poorer returns than wot have been mentioned here.

Many shoots subs are roughly about £1 per bird released, so 1000 birds to wood is around £1000 subs, if ur any cheaper than that u are getting pretty good value.

I know 1 syndicate releasing about 700 birds and is lucky to shoot 20-30 birds even at the start of the season. not a great example but plenty like that do exist and something in between will be the more likely norm

Every syndicate is different but sometimes the bigger bag syndicates u'd be better of buying days, if ur syndicate is priced roughly for 10x100 bird days (ie 1000 birds over the season) u really need to be shooting close to 200 early season as most likely ur end season bags will be down to 50's, many just shoot around the estimated bag size and then they drop off.

It will depend on ur ground but that is not a massive amount of birds to be selling (and guaranteeing 100 bird days) esp in the first season.

Dodgy weather on the shoot day or a disaster or 2 in pens (foxes or disease) could really put the pressure on with not a lot of extra birds in reserve

Also a hell of a work even attempting to carry that out on a park time basis, ur easily talking about 20-25T of feed to be put out

We have a lot of big warm woods with loads of cover the land is all down to grass with a lot of birds already in residents. It’s testing ground with a lot of cover crops going in. If we get the birds going over the guns where we won’t them they will take some hitting.  I will supply all wheat and barley at cost price. I will also be trying to rear day olds if I keep the little beggars a live I will do lots more next year. like I said it’s are first year we have a lot to learn. I just hope this time next year I’m not putting up a post saying are returns are below 30% ????

Fair play to u gouse, must admit i'm a great believer in starting small and grow as u learn.

Unfortunately u/everyone makes mistakes but not as expensive when u have less birds to lose.

Big financial outlay too, I'm guessing if u were buying poults in u'd be looking at £14k just to buy and feed them, never mind ur other birds and rent, pens, hoppers, cover crops etc

it really is not cheap to set up a shoot and there is masses to go wrong, even when u know wot ur doing or don't do anything wrong (weather)

Not far away mate £15k I’m a firm believer that you learn from your mistakes and only make that mistake once????

I’m going to try and rear partridges from day old and 500 pheasants to save on cost.

all the rest are ordered  as poults. The feed wheat will be about £65 a ton and barley around £60 as that is what it will cost me to grow. Cover crops the likes of kale is cheep to grow the mazie is the expensive one but I have got 3 bags left over from last year. I’ve got all machinery to do this just no mazie drill. 

On 11/02/2018 at 08:12, Dazza9t9 said:

I’m not 100% sure on acreage, I’m pretty sure it’s 250+

the land is not the best at holding them, or has not been the last few years but we are looking at improving this. We have some big woods just off the shoot and a shoot next door that does not put any birds down!!

the shoot has been steadily declining that is why me and another gun has taken it on.

we have 2 small release pens that can take 150 each. Recent years we have gone for ex layers but I was to reintroduce poults.

i did want to do an ex layer poult mix but have been told ex layers will drive poults away.

i was going to start a new thread asking for some advice etc

Apart from the acreage the layout sounds similar to mine, we managed just shy of 40% return on Pheasant and 29% return on partridge.

How you set the partridge up is key for them.

On 2/10/2018 at 16:58, Penelope said:

900 acre, DIY, 16 guns, 8 days plus 2 outside days, walk one, stand one, 6 drives plus odd walked up bits, 500 birds to pen, 50 - 20 avg. bag, duck and goose flights, two 16 acre reservoirs, cover crops, pigeon, rabbit and vermin out of season, feeding rota, 4 - 6 work parties, friends and family beaters. £500 full gun, £250 half, £5 per gun beater's tip.

50% return on our shoot this season.

I have been a member of a syndicate in Essex for the past few seasons where it has worked out approx. £25 per bird . We all pay the same but obviously some shoot more than others so it is luck of the draw ( or maybe skill level) to a certain extent . After 20 years it is not continuing this season due to change of land use , so I will be looking for something similar , not easy to find in Essex.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 16:58, Penelope said:

900 acre, DIY, 16 guns, 8 days plus 2 outside days, walk one, stand one, 6 drives plus odd walked up bits, 500 birds to pen, 50 - 20 avg. bag, duck and goose flights, two 16 acre reservoirs, cover crops, pigeon, rabbit and vermin out of season, feeding rota, 4 - 6 work parties, friends and family beaters. £500 full gun, £250 half, £5 per gun beater's tip.

If you have any vacancies please message me. Thanks.

48 minutes ago, Geo said:

I have been a member of a syndicate in Essex for the past few seasons where it has worked out approx. £25 per bird . We all pay the same but obviously some shoot more than others so it is luck of the draw ( or maybe skill level) to a certain extent . After 20 years it is not continuing this season due to change of land use , so I will be looking for something similar , not easy to find in Essex.

If you have any vacancies please message me. Thanks.

Likewise for me - They're putting the new Thames crossing right through half our land!