Long Range Shooting Calculations

Danger-Mouse

The don't show you all the ones that miss! its still an incredible shot but you can't predict all the variables, wind speed, thermal upcurrents, even the density of the air have to be a judgement call at best.

I have done some long range varminting in Arizona and the heat shimmer as seen through the scope looks like you are trying to shoot through water 

Edited by Vince Green

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

The don't show you the ones that miss, its still an incredible shot but you can't predict all the variables, wind speed, thermal upcurrents, even the density of the air have to be a judgement.

As above, the best maths in the world cannot calculate the tiny fractions of variables over those distances, so an element of good fortune is required, even for the most experienced/skilled shooter!

:good:

56 minutes ago, Dekers said:

As above, the best maths in the world cannot calculate the tiny fractions of variables over those distances, so an element of good fortune is required, even for the most experienced/skilled shooter!

:good:

Yeah they freely admit that, calling it a "Hail Mary shot". Even a 1mph change in wind would throw the shot off by 6ft. Then there's the fact the bullet is in the air for almost 10 seconds so the target could easily move.They also say he probably had to take multiple shots and walk the rounds onto the target.  I know the previous record holder, Craig Harrison, took about half a dozen shots before he hit his target and he was 1,000m closer, albeit using .338 Lapua rather than .50 cal

12 minutes ago, scotslad said:

I tried to watch it last night but think I was dozing off, it was lateish.

Did he say there was 1000" of drop??

He was also on about 84 mils? I take it that is MOA?

He says 10,000 inches or using old school "Kentucky Windage" you would be aiming 400 feet above the target!

Mils are Milradians or MilRads. I couldn't begin to explain it so . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliradian

1 minute ago, Danger-Mouse said:

Yeah they freely admit that, calling it a "Hail Mary shot". Even a 1mph change in wind would throw the shot off by 6ft. Then there's the fact the bullet is in the air for almost 10 seconds so the target could easily move.They also say he probably had to take multiple shots and walk the rounds onto the target.  I know the previous record holder, Craig Harrison, took about half a dozen shots before he hit his target and he was 1,000m closer, albeit using .338 Lapua rather than .50 cal

He says 10,000 inches or using old school "Kentucky Windage" you would be aiming 400 feet above the target!

Mils are Milradians or MilRads. I couldn't begin to explain it so . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliradian

The problem was running out of adjustment/ holdover, even with an inclined rail.

I thought part of the problem would be the 100 yd zero, but Ive just done the calculations for 1000 yd and 2000 yd zeros, and its still 100 s of feet of drop.
That .50 bmg round drops like a stone after 1000 yds.

On 05/02/2018 at 11:02, Danger-Mouse said:

Craig Harrison, took about half a dozen shots before he hit his target

But not for the second shot, that only took one.

In a BBC interview, Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to range the target. Then, he reported, his first shot "on target" was a killing shot followed consecutively by a kill shot on a second machine gunner.

He did also say that the conditions were perfect.

Edited by Newbie to this
Bad spelling