Muntjac in Wales

walshie

I don't know if this should be in the stalking section, but as I wasn't stalking or shooting, I'm not sure where to put it. 

As I was driving along earlier this evening, I rounded a bend and a muntjac ran out into the middle of the lane in front of me. It was right in my headlamp beam, so no mistaking what it was. After a few seconds it turned and ran back where it had come from.

Not that unusual you might say, but I have never seen one here before and all the deer sites say there are no muntjac in West Wales. :hmm:

Edited by walshie

They taste nice but they are a bloody nuisance. Pregnant '365' and damaging to woodland and gardens - one little sod pinched several of my sprouting brock until I increased security! I see them every day here moving from the wet wood at the bottom of my garden to the dry wood the other end and they are noisy at night. On a long walk with my dogs I can count 5/6 scrapes where bucks mark territory entering hedgerows. No shooting in this little bit of Norfolk so they are thriving.

We saw at least one set of tracks of deer last year that have been positively identified by someone working as an environmentalist for the council -- she's an expert. She found all kind of other stuff we had no idea about, but the deer track was a bit of a surprise to her as well. 

I'm just on the other side of the cambrian 'mountains' from the OP -- around Beulah

I've seen roe round here but this is the first muntie I've seen and I'm out and about most evenings. I read there is a population of red/sika hybrids in the area but not seen one of those either and you'd think they'd be a doddle to spot. 

Edited by walshie

3 hours ago, walshie said:

I've seen roe round here but this is the first muntie I've seen and I'm out and about most evenings. I read there is a population of red/sika hybrids in the area but not seen one of those either and you'd think they'd be a doddle to spot. 

90% sure ive seen em up Llangoedmor. Down the road opposite cardi builders. Go talk to teifion in the gun shop. He knows most areas/gossip. Also tbh it was under lamp light and I might be wrong

Used to shoot in beulah all the way down to cwm-cou. Never saw any signs or word. Mind you never looked that hard either, never dreamed they'd spread that far. That's if they aint been shot yet. 

btw I grew up in capel tygwydd near emlyn for my sins. Weird seeing those places come up on here. Small world...

You’d be surprised how fast they can spread around. 

Lots of them get over 70mph down the M4 ? 

The boys are too eager to bag them though out with rifle and the Lurchers boys nailing them! 

There were apparently Roe introduced in the Merthyr Mawr area of Bridgend but they soon all disappeared. 

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You’d be surprised how fast they can spread around. 

Lots of them get over 70mph down the M4 ? 

The boys are too eager to bag them though out with rifle and the Lurchers boys nailing them! 

There were apparently Roe introduced in the Merthyr Mawr area of Bridgend but they soon all disappeared. 

No Deer will survive round there, as you mentioned the long doggers and lampers will shoot anything that moves generally

8 hours ago, buze said:

We saw at least one set of tracks of deer last year that have been positively identified by someone working as an environmentalist for the council -- she's an expert. She found all kind of other stuff we had no idea about, but the deer track was a bit of a surprise to her as well. 

I'm just on the other side of the cambrian 'mountains' from the OP -- around Beulah

We have seen muntjac in our wood near Beulah as well.

51 minutes ago, r1steele said:

There's a good population of fallow in the Merthyr Mawr area.

And in Margam. 

There are people out lamping them with rifles and running dogs on them. 

That area is very “hot” with the Police having an entire operation dedicated to tackling poaching. They often have the helicopter out.