Monopod vs Bipod vs Tripod

Little test this afternoon with a mono, bi and tripod. A bit breezy so no surpringly the tripod won.

The bipod was good and with practice would be ok. Easier to carry than the tripod.

The mono actually felt worse than free-hand, swaying about in the wind! However I know it can work well from a sitting position which the others are too tall for.

Which do you prefer?

Edited by Guest

I've used all of them. Started with a monopod, which was okay, them bipod, which I found better. I then bought a tripod (HSF make) which was good. Finally, I bought a Gen 2 trigger stick tripod with 2 point rifle rest. Both are excellent. The rifle rest comes into its own when I'm baiting Foxes and laying in wait using my NV scope. My rifle with all the add ons comes in heavy but the rest supports it well.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, DC177 said:

When using the nv set up, the balance of the rifle is different and the only way I can get a rock-steady hold is sitting using my knee and mono.

I use the Primos Gen 2 tripod with 2 point gun rest. My Tikka 243 with moderator, N750a scope and NV rangefinder weighs in quite heavy. The 2 point rest is excellent in supporting the weight and helps keep the rifle steady. I only use the 2 point rest when baiting Foxes.

13 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I use the Primos Gen 2 tripod with 2 point gun rest. My Tikka 243 with moderator, N750a scope and NV rangefinder weighs in quite heavy. The 2 point rest is excellent in supporting the weight and helps keep the rifle steady. I only use the 2 point rest when baiting Foxes.

I need to check out the 2-point rest. 1-point is hopeless when you have all that extra weight on the rifle and aiming with a screen.

1 minute ago, DC177 said:

I need to check out the 2-point rest. 1-point is hopeless when you have all that extra weight on the rifle and aiming with a screen.

I had doubts about the 2 point rest before I bought one, owing to reports of it being flimsy and flexible. This is not true. I can actually balance my rifle on the rest, should I wish to do so. It's holds the weight perfectly. Worth the money in my opinion. :good:

48 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, home made sticks, i have just made a set for another PW member, 2 x 6ft green coated poles from home base about 15 mm O/D and a nice leather yoke from Mel and Lin, cut up old bike inner tube 1 inch to hold together,

hello, to add i use my 5 ft sticks with a CZ 455 22 L/R and a photon night vision scope, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, to add i use my 5 ft sticks with a CZ 455 22 L/R and a photon night vision scope, 

Tell me more about the Photon. Bit limited on mag (x6.5) isnt it? Esp for a 22lr.

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I had doubts about the 2 point rest before I bought one, owing to reports of it being flimsy and flexible. This is not true. I can actually balance my rifle on the rest, should I wish to do so. It's holds the weight perfectly. Worth the money in my opinion. :good:

Does the 2-point fit both Gen 2 & 3?

5 hours ago, DC177 said:

Tell me more about the Photon. Bit limited on mag (x6.5) isnt it? Esp for a 22lr.

hello, it is the mark 1 photon not the XT and i limit my range to 50/60 yards although my added I/R will see an easy 250 yards, when the clocks change i go back to a Hawke rimfire scope

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 19/02/2018 at 14:33, DC177 said:

I have the 4.6 xt, if you need more mag it's a simple and straightforward job to "Extreme"  one and put a 105mm camera lens on this gives around 8-9x mag.

There are fb groups and nvuk forum is a good place for more information.