Not scrap

Walker570

One of my friendly farmers asked me if I had use for two or three loads of pallets and of course seeing them as both good usable timber any broken ones would be split for starting wood.

Al the first three loads were softwood of some kind but still very usable, on the last load I noticed the unmistakable characteristics of beech and also some was spalted. A closer look and a fair few pieces screamed ....knife handles !!!!

Just planed and sanded a few and gave them a light wipe with linseed so you can see what I'm talking about.

Waste not want not !!

2013-01-17 02.42.08 (800x534).jpg

i have seen some knife handles made from "rotton" oak................look around old oak trees and find the old rotton branches that have gone soft and white with rot....chop away the rot and sometimes inside there is a piece that is as hard as stone.................very usable..:good:

i can see these threads are going to be long and interesting..........:lol:

Rather than start afresh I think I can go on from here to show how easy it is to make yourself a very comfortable portable folding stool.  My sciatica insists that I sit down when I can and without some form of stool my driven days would have ended.  I purchased one of those excellent Bergara Stag swivel seats which i used for a season and then whilst in Slovenia saw most of the Slovenian guns using three legged folding jobs, much easier and lighter to carry and when sat on remarkably comfortable. On returning home I found an old ash fork stail and cut it into three pieces, then the fun began because the shape of that T piece which holds the legs together but allows them to swivel is critical. It is very slightly out of 'T' so to speak and the photos explain this better than words.  Otherwise very simple to make. You need a piece of STRONG leather for the seat part because that also holds the whole deal together. I unitially used a piece of nilgai skin for my first attempt but decided I would need to reinforce the corners, (see photo). Three long ...3 to 4 inch screws and 30mm washers to secure the seat on the legs. I found three Danish coins which have holes in them which I used on one seat. I also cut 1/4inch thick pieces off a red antler and araldited onto of the screw heads on the other, just hollowed them out. I secured a strap and clup to hold the legs together when transporting and a shoulder strap. You can keep it simple or dress it up a bit as with the stag head engraved on the leather seat.  The extension pieces on the bottom of the legs is so the seat will fit in my bag when I go to Slovenia, they unscrew ... legth of threaded bar glued in the bottom and threaded tube similar in the extensions.   I now see them for sale around £80 a piece but you could make your own for a fiver or maybe £15 if you had to buy some new bits rather than being a scavenger like me.

2018-02-06 15.20.08 (450x800).jpg

2018-02-06 15.20.32.jpg

2018-02-06 15.21.27 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-06 15.21.14 (800x500).jpg

2018-02-06 15.22.11 (800x450).jpg

2018-02-06 15.21.20 (800x491).jpg

I use a similar stool which I purchased from Utting’s, complete.  I think it was about £25. Given many years of serviceable use. Put at the bottom of a tree and just lean back against the trunk. I can even go to sleep ? quite easily in the early morning, waiting for the dawn to come.

15 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

me too mate... Nice Marmot. 

You see what happens Larry?! 

This could go on! Apologies for derailing the thread. 

Love the stool. I'm going to have to stop reading the craft section, makes me very jealous of the skills the good folk of pw have.