Reliable and good expanding .22lr ammo

I used to use 40 grain winnies but havent got any lately. They had a good expansion rate due to the large hole in the projectile and the decent wound channel can make up for a bit of ranging error on the kill zone. I've heard the 42 grain one's sometimes go supersonic and have fliers.

I've recently tried RWS HP's - they'd just as well have no hole because its so tiny it doesnt expand. They are more accurate than the winnies and would seem to be great for paper punching which I don't do.

Ficcohi hollow point subs look to have a decent size expansion hole - can anyone on here give any feedback on them?

Any opinions on on other brands?

Any thought on this please?

Edited by Dave-G

15 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

No difference between 40g and 42g Winnies as far as i’m Concerned

Possibly BUT 42g Winnies will not reliably feed through my Brno 581 whereas 40g were fine,still using them up through my CZ 452.Possibly from a poor batch as they are none too accurate although they certainly hit hard when they do connect.

1 minute ago, Dave-G said:

Is it reasonable to assume the 42 grain bullet protrudes a tad further out the case?

Never compared the two as I had no 40gn left but I have a feeling it may well, however I think the feeding issue in the 581has more to do with the squarer/less tapered shape of the bullet.Possibly tweaking the magazine lips would help but as the gun has no problems with RWS subs(much more accurate)and CCi segs(just as accurate+harder hitting)I have not bothered.A few years ago I either bought Winnies or Eleys and had no probs but now have had issues with both.RWS subs,although I find consistent and accurate,also seem to lack the range and hitting power of the old Winnies so I use them for brain/head shots at short to medium ranges.

17 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Is it reasonable to assume the 42 grain bullet protrudes a tad further out the case?

No, l just measured both and from stock and the overall length for both was between .978/.980.

From tip to rim was from .940/.942.

Hole diamension.068/.073.

So pretty consistent external dimensions.

On 06/02/2018 at 19:46, Ultrastu said:

Cci segmented are the best by miles as they brake into 3 bits on impact .

Just hope your gun likes em .

They have performed very well in cz barrels. 

As Stu says, they’re very good if your gun likes them. My anschutz however, spits them all over the place, but I know that they do work well when they connect.

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

Magtech 40g HP.

The HP is massive, expands very well and does the job .    I used to use them all the time when few knew of them, they were cheap, but are far from cheap now, worth a try if you can find someone selling them!

:good:

Yes I've had some of them in the past. As you say massive hole with a big smack on contact. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2018 at 19:37, Dave-G said:

I used to use 40 grain winnies but havent got any lately. They had a good expansion rate due to the large hole in the projectile and the decent wound channel can make up for a bit of ranging error on the kill zone. I've heard the 42 grain one's sometimes go supersonic and have fliers.

I've recently tried RWS HP's - they'd just as well have no hole because its so tiny it doesnt expand. They are more accurate than the winnies and would seem to be great for paper punching which I don't do.

Ficcohi hollow point subs look to have a decent size expansion hole - can anyone on here give any feedback on them?

Any opinions on on other brands?

Any thought on this please?

try eley subs  hollow point    very good 

My cz511 used to love winnie subs until a while ago then something changed and the grouping opened up, I changed to RWS which were very accurate and consistant but my rfd stopped stocking them, I'm now on eley subs which are performing aswell as the winnies used to and have a good HP.

Edited by thepasty

• 2 weeks later...