15 weeks later

fatchap

Back in October 2017 I decided I was going to build a quick hunting knife I had seen a nice knife on  You tube called ""symphony in red" and I wanted to have a go myself, I didn't like the handle but the blade was nice. I could have cut it out of some flat stock I have but I had seen a blank on HH that would fit the bill, I ordered said blank which as usual with HH arrived promptly, sadly it also snapped promptly as soon as I put it in the vice!!

So looks like I was going to build it from scratch after all. I used the broken blank as a template and made a start, I ordered some acrylic scales from English handmade knives which didn't look like the picture on the site, I almost sent them back, glad I didn't as the end result isn't  too shabby.

5a7a0f773f65f_knif1.JPG.5cdf51fa3b4eeb0bcbe974b1e4266e97.JPG

15 weeks it took to make this as pretty much everything that could go wrong, DID!!

Getting the top bevel to behave took 5 attempts thus 5 new blanks to cut only had enough steel for two so had to buy more, blah blah took ages to make.

Thanks it was a labour of love making it. I would like to achieve a solid mirror polish on the blade but cant get it past the "milky" look. I have used vornex, smurf poo even autosol but it just wont polish up.

I have mirror polished loads of blades made with stainless and 01 tool steel, this is the only one thats putting up a fight.

22 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Seeing the brilliant stuff which you knife makers turn out, I am tempted to have a go.

Couple of basic questions for me - easy for you.

What do you use for knife blanks? How do you make the Bolster? How are the brass rivets done? Are they glued or hammered over?

You can get flat ground 01 tool steel on the bay in various sizes which is what I mainly use, you can also use circular saw blades but you have to be careful with the heat treat as they can easily warp. The bolster depends on the tang, either full tang or hidden, hidden is easier to make the bolster for. And the brass pins are glued with epoxy and left proud on one side then you hit the proud end with a ball pein hammer which distorts the pin inside creating a mechanical and a chemical fixing at the same time.

A bit sketchy I know but there are exellent tutorials on you tube which will show you more in depth, Search for Diresta, or greenbeetle.