Variation

bode.boden

22LR because it's quiet. 17HMR because 22LR bounces and the HMR is (apparently) less susceptible to ricochet and for the rabbits that are further away. Discuss with your FEO, you might be better off getting a centrefire. One of the .22 (.222/.223/.22-250 etc.) would be great for fox and if you reload it's not much more expensive than HMR

I've got .22LR and .17HMR. I gave the exact reasons stated above. The HMR also gives a flatter trajectory so gives you a bit more range on the rabbits.

I've just got my variation granted for a .223 for fox. Ammo is cheap and easily available. Further accuracy gains can be made if you hand load. Loads of rifles to choose from.

13 minutes ago, Brad93 said:

Unsure if you will get a .222 with limited rifle experience. Worth a shot though. 

Why did you go 222 over 223 out of interest? 

if you think I would not be granted222 because of experance then wouldn’t that be the same for223 sorry for all questions as new to this but have shot 22 rim fire 

Well "bullet guns" might be the first giveaway of your inexperience.

A jump to centrefire with the users experience being FAC Air would normally lend itself to restrictions or mentoring conditions being put on. 

222 or 223, there will be little difference. The bullet head is still .224 and the power is virtually the same. The .223 is a more readily available cartridge.