Vintage machinery

BrowningDJC

my father has a bit of a collection, I can't say I share the passion... he started out buying an Austin healy mk111, absolutely gorgeous it was... then sold it on to buy a field marshall. he's got the thick end of 100 tractors now plus a few old combines, and not a decent motor to be had about the place.

I've spent the odd weekend over in the yard making stuff up to restore some of the old machinery, some of it is interesting stuff, he's got a fully restored 35x which is a nice little tractor so i'm not a complete philistine, but it doesn't exactly tickle the old pickle.

On 07/02/2018 at 13:51, BrowningDJC said:

Just wondered if there are many other vintage tractor/machinery owners on here? Now the season is over road runs and shows will be my main past time as the better weather comes. 

.Have a David Brown 880 its a four cylinder one its late 50s early 60s got it as a pile of parts ten or more years ago, built it up replaced some bearings clutch cover ring gear repaired the rotten mudguards as in replaced the rotten metal then body soldered the sections but just red oxide primed the repair and satin lacquered over the primer.

Did less work but similar repair to the front section of the grille and fitted expanded mesh insert . wired original lights dash panel where necessary. and there it stopped.    I never wanted to re Finnish the tractor any more kept the patina it had but did repair what i had too, to the best i could, its a great starter i have a ransomes 3 gang on the linkage cut the back paddock with it when needed.

Edited by lancer425

6 hours ago, BrowningDJC said:

Nice to keep things original if you can. 

Still see a few 50 series working in my area. Not had much experience with them. 

No i've not had much experience with them. one of my former colleagues was a big fan having spent thousands of hours in one.

I used to drive what we'd call a modern classis, a pair of John Deere 6310's, 20 years old and better than anything modern!

Give me an older tractor over all these electronics any day

i think lots of people liked the sg cabs on the deeres but if im honest i much preferred the 30 series masseys or the 10 series fords.

Agree the older stuff is much easier to maintain, a friend has a ford 7840 with over 20,000 hours on the clock still working and maintained by himself, wont see that on the new stuff.

5 hours ago, snow white said:

Hi Paddy Galor think your dad brought a tractor of me about 5 years ago from up here in north wales he said he would send me some photos when he had restored it.

Would you mind asking him if he brought a tractor from up this way please.

of course, not a problem, pm me your details and i'll pass them on. he has been a bit poorly of late

21 hours ago, islandgun said:

DSCN0048%5B1%5D.JPG.3d0059cc13ab033aa36a81ed497c642e.JPG

It works well Mat. This is on sandy soil but it rips through pasture as well

DSCN0048[1].JPG

Do you do much with it? 

I did find a similar one locally but it was in such a state! 

That soil looks at the heavy end of sandy, i've got some photos somewhere of us planting tulips on land that was like ploughing skegness beach!

1 hour ago, Big Mat said:

Do you do much with it? 

I did find a similar one locally but it was in such a state! 

That soil looks at the heavy end of sandy, i've got some photos somewhere of us planting tulips on land that was like ploughing skegness beach!

DSCN8880.JPG.ee2454fbcf78e1787dcfb27c1b7eb2e8.JPG

Its very sandy mate...;)... heres a photo on a better day.  my strip is about 3 acres here, with a large veg patch next to the house, I grow carrots and spuds and if i get time, a cereal crop for the birds.  A machine like the plough would be very happy with your fen soil, I got it on Ebay  for about £300 and was delivered on a pallet. I enjoy using it.......(and thats the main thing)