freelander or summat else

ips

been toying with the idea for a while about getting a second vehicle for shooting, dog and towing caravan. Has to be 4x4. Only want to spend 3k as the point is that I won't be bothered about it getting filthy and possibly scratched. Have looked at a few freelanders around 2k but they have been very poor. I am now thinking I will get more for my money if I look at Hyundai or Kia as unlike LR they have cruise and heated seats and stuff.

anyone had experience of the Hyundai Tucson o Kia sportage particularly towing and off road.

any thoughts on the whole idea or options

1 minute ago, bluesj said:

Toyota rav4 is also in your price range

Yep but I don't think they are big enough to tow the caravan. That's the other criteria. Has to be capable off road, tow 1400kg and have cruise control, (sciatica bothers me on long journeys)

A friend has a Sportage and likes it. Although it's mostly an urban tractor with no off road that I know of, he has used it for towing a caravan - which it did quite happily - and it's been trouble free since he got it pre-loved a few years back. Kia has close links with Mazda and some if not all, the hardware is Mazda sourced so very likely to be bulletproof.

I had a Hyundai Tucson 2L diesel for 5 years , did 130k and did not have anything at all go wrong with it in that time. Good economy. They had selectable 4 wheel drive unlike some like the CRV which is automatic upon loss of traction. Selectable is better in my view. The pre 2005 had 5 gears and were less economical than the later 6 gear (as mine) models. Used it for moderate off road stuff and never let me down. A mate had the same model for towing (large caravan) and was well impressed. Mine was the CRDX model and had all the required bells and whistles. Wish I still had it. Never had any DPF problems although most was motorway driving so didn't experience short trips.

Hope this helps.

OB

One for the xtrail, the are a little “rugged” and farmer like inside (within your price range) but I love mine

i do 60 mile commute and get decent mpg

during winter months I put at tyres on and it handles brilliant around the farm

im currently on 168k when this one dies I will be replacing it with another I would have thought 

On 2/7/2018 at 18:56, mudpatten said:

Honda CRV mk2. Frequently Caravan Club car of the year. Better off road than you`d think.

Got a Honda CRV Mk2 too. Good off road with decent tyres, exhaust ground clearance is a bit low but ok for fields, muddy tracks etc. Lots of room in the back with rear seats folded forward  Mine gets used and abused for fishing and shooting, gets filled with wet dogs and gear. Amazingly reliable, nothing ever goes wrong. Only downside is that genuine Honda parts are expensive.

On 10/02/2018 at 10:47, Dazza9t9 said:

One for the xtrail, the are a little “rugged” and farmer like inside (within your price range) but I love mine

i do 60 mile commute and get decent mpg

during winter months I put at tyres on and it handles brilliant around the farm

im currently on 168k when this one dies I will be replacing it with another I would have thought 

+1 Had mine for over 10 years, very reliable

In the stronger separate chassis 4x4s and 3k to go at, i would go for a Nissan Terrano a 2.7 engine and watch registration dates to keep road tax down. They take the miles well low to mid 30s on a run late 20s round and about so ok on diesel. 7 seats roomy comfortable look for a nice one look after it it will last you years. Not in vogue at the moment and the bargain even in the hundreds some serviceable examples to be had.

thanks for continued input gentlemen.

as a curve ball I am now considering something specifically for shooting and not towing. Something good off road, small and light weight a Suzuki grand vitara three door appeals to me, any thoughts.

Ps

as an aside is it correct that propper off road tyres are not available for 16" rims ?

4 hours ago, ips said:

thanks for continued input gentlemen.

as a curve ball I am now considering something specifically for shooting and not towing. Something good off road, small and light weight a Suzuki grand vitara three door appeals to me, any thoughts.

Ps

as an aside is it correct that propper off road tyres are not available for 16" rims ?

Terrano again. Why not a swb or if you don’t need more than two seats why not a commercial version. ?

On 13/02/2018 at 10:41, ips said:

there is no problem getting tyres for 16" rims, it all depends how off road you want to go, mud terrains look good but lose adhesion quicker on wet roads, but not brilliant in snow/icy conditions, was thinking of putting these on mine but going to put all terrains on now as do more road miles in it towing, not decided yet whether BFG ko2's, 771's or Toyo's  all terrains are a compromise, not as good as full muds off road but a lot better on road and normally all you would need if you have a good proper 4 wheel drive system, do a search,