Centrefire rated gongs/silhouettes

rimmie

33 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Question, I have a country smiddy, agri engineer close to me, do you think I could get scrap bits of him and make my own?  Does the thickness of the steel need to be a certain size?  will be using .22 and .17hmr cheers.

If it's cheap and easily replaceable I would use your scrap contact, you may vet away with 5mm mild with the 22lr but not the HMR. 

58 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Question, I have a country smiddy, agri engineer close to me, do you think I could get scrap bits of him and make my own?  Does the thickness of the steel need to be a certain size?  will be using .22 and .17hmr cheers.

If he's an agri engineer ask for some old mower blades they are very hard. My 243 hardly dents the 10mm thick ones I have. It will go straight through 10mm mild steel.

Just mind and hang the gongs on a chain rather than securely so it can move with impact.

I think I'm right in saying ideally u want 'Hardox' (think they use it for digger buckets) or something similar, but it wouldnae really matter if u could get plenty of new ones form the agri engineer for cheap.

I'd also guess u will have more scraps that are square shaped than round, I'd just get him to cut it to roughly the right size and use it like that (but it also wouldnae take that long to knock the corners off with some oxy). When u get into heavier steel, even mild it can be slow going cutting with a grinder

Edited by scotslad

12 hours ago, Dougy said:

If it's cheap and easily replaceable I would use your scrap contact, you may vet away with 5mm mild with the 22lr but not the HMR. 

6mm thick mild steel plate is all that's needed to stop hmr and .22lr. that's what I used to make my rimfire gongs from just set it out over 60yrds and it will be fine.

Going to ask a stupid question, but wot is the point in using gongs at relatively close ranges?  (Say 50-200m)

Can see the point at silly ranges for a bit of fun where ur only interested in hitting the gong.

But for a zero check at normal range are u not as well doing it on paper anyway. I'd want to see where I'm hitting on the paper and my groups rather just hearing I was within 4-6"

They won’t be for zeroing, I’m getting into “varminting” so they will be long range practice with the .204 and .17 HMR. In conjunction with a ballistics app on my phone and dialling the turrets on the vortex.

also you can see the hits as long as you paint the gongs.

Edited by rimmie