Variation ammo allowance

Rst1990

Has anyone upped there allowance if so how did you do it?

I want to increase my allowance on my 223 do I just send off for a variation with the related fee?

Also when filling in the form do I just put down x amount of ammo in the box, will they know what I want considering there will be no rifle in the adjacent box?

cheers guys it’s got me baffled.

15 minutes ago, bluesj said:

they will probably want to see that you are using the ammo, if you have 100 on your ticket and have been buying 60 or 80 every few weeks you should be ok but if you've only bought 100 in the last 12 months the probably not

Yep been going through ammo in no time, cost of diesel is adding to the cost of ammo now lol

when I have upped my allowances on all my other calibre i have just told the Feo on a variation or renewal never sent off for it.

You don't need to pay a fee but there may be a problem reconciling a larger qty with the size of your storage capability. Reloading can be an easier option to buffer supply problems sometimes

I would phone and talk to somebody first, get their advice. Then send it in to them marked for their attn

Edited by Vince Green

44 minutes ago, Brad93 said:

250 hold 200 buy is the standard on new applications - it’s what I’ve just been granted on my .223. I’d press for more if you use more than 250 in six months. 

I got granted 100 because that’s what I asked for on the form as I thought I wasn’t going to use the gun that much. Well.......... I’m using it all the time, it’s such great calibre. I will have to call me feo and ask what I have to do ie variation.

Just recently pushed my .22LR up to 1200 from 400 as I had finally decided to join a club (after 40 odd years!), covering letter to Firearms dept and no problem, and no visit. Ammo variation of course no charge.

All my other stuff is 600 to hold and 450 to purchase, though this is irrelevant as I home load everything else. No way would I want to hold that many loaded rounds but as I like to journey to Catton Park and Garlands, dusting the environment, I may wish to carry as many as 300 or more and this is then covered.

As long as you have a good reason shouldn`t be a problem, best reason given is home loading for many different bullet weights for different quarry. That`s what I did for my 1st rifle in .243.

On 08/02/2018 at 10:11, Flyboy1950 said:

Just recently pushed my .22LR up to 1200 from 400 as I had finally decided to join a club (after 40 odd years!), covering letter to Firearms dept and no problem, and no visit. Ammo variation of course no charge.

All my other stuff is 600 to hold and 450 to purchase, though this is irrelevant as I home load everything else. No way would I want to hold that many loaded rounds but as I like to journey to Catton Park and Garlands, dusting the environment, I may wish to carry as many as 300 or more and this is then covered.

As long as you have a good reason shouldn`t be a problem, best reason given is home loading for many different bullet weights for different quarry. That`s what I did for my 1st rifle in .243.

That’s pretty much the info I was after, thank you

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

My .22LR allowance is 1750, .243 is 750, .204 is 500 and .22 Hornet 750. The .22 allowance has been like this for the past 10 years, as is the .243.

How did you increase your allowance for the calibres you listed? Was it the same as flyboy? I will contact my Feo as soon as I can for his guidance.

27 minutes ago, Rst1990 said:

That’s pretty much the info I was after, thank you

How did you increase your allowance for the calibres you listed? Was it the same as flyboy? I will contact my Feo as soon as I can for his guidance.

By showing my FEO etc that I use a lot of ammunition, especially .22LR. The other calibres, I reload and stated that I wanted to buy the same batch of bullets etc.

30 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

By showing my FEO etc that I use a lot of ammunition, especially .22LR. The other calibres, I reload and stated that I wanted to buy the same batch of bullets etc.

Bit crossed wires here, I meant did you write a letter like flyboy or like myself I just asked my Feo on variation and renewal and my amount was changed.

I’m using plenty of ammo that’s why I need the increase just the same as my other calibres 3 of which I have increased.

will call my Feo Monday 

I told them I need more 22lr as it’s my main bunny gun and I need batches. 

Dont mention prices being less on higher amounts. It’s not an excuse as I was informed.

i upped my .223 and .243 as I reload and need to test/load development. 

I have 300 on each as I was told no more . In all fairness I can’t store 300 of each anyway. Have you seen the size cabinet you need for 700lr, 500hmr ,300 .223 , 300 .243.    I have 2 and they’re full ;) 

10 hours ago, Rst1990 said:

Bit crossed wires here, I meant did you write a letter like flyboy or like myself I just asked my Feo on variation and renewal and my amount was changed.

I’m using plenty of ammo that’s why I need the increase just the same as my other calibres 3 of which I have increased.

will call my Feo Monday 

Sorry. I just requested an increase when my FAC was due for renewal. For the .22LR ammo' he could see that I was getting through many 100's of rounds, and with the other calibres, I told him I was reloading.