Uplift talk or whatever its called.

harrycatcat1

7 minutes ago, walshie said:

Australians have been doing it for years. Winds me right up. it's as if they have to end every sentence with a question to make sure you understand them as you are thick.

Jinx!

That would explain why the Australians got into the habit when talking among themselves.:lol::lol::lol:

They also accompany the verbal inflection with a slight facial inflection (raising of eyebrows) and a pause which again implies a question is being asked 

16 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28708526

I hope the link works.

I find this talk really annoying, talking in questions???????

Is it just the young ones that do it?

Every sentence containing the words 'Literally', 'Basically' and 'Like'. My two step kids 20 and 17 and my 2 nieces and 1 nephew do this all the time, drives me nuts!!!

I would say it's a lazy way to converse, but they use more words in a sentence than required.

15 hours ago, Pistol p said:

It's not as bad as that teeth sucking fake Jamaican rubbish that some of the trash use around my way.

Ah, Wiggerish, bruv.

19 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28708526

I hope the link works.

I find this talk really annoying, talking in questions???????

Is it just the young ones that do it?

I was going to put a thread on here about this ages ago, along with a thread about the use of the word "literally" - possibly the most over used word in the English language, right now.

It definitely isn't exclusively a young person thing. I don't know how it has spread so much, but it is rife! "Upspeaking" really, really annoys me. I can't take people seriously when they talk like that. Has got me annoyed just thinking about it!

Trouble is, I am worried that it may one day start to infect me, such is the level of exposure to it that I often receive!

Edited by motty

17 minutes ago, motty said:

I was going to put a thread on here about this ages ago, along with a thread about the use of the word "literally" - possibly the most over used word in the English language, right now.

It definitely isn't exclusively a young person thing. I don't know how it has spread so much, but it is rife! "Upspeaking" really, really annoys me. I can't take people seriously when they talk like that. Has got me annoyed just thinking about it!

Trouble is, I am worried that it may one day start to infect me, such is the level of exposure to it that I often receive!

Motty, it all starts with the yoof and the mind numbing 'reality' **** they watch;  Kardashian's, Love Island, The Only Way Is Essex, et al.

An annoying phrase going around at present, is, 'to be fair' at the start or end of every sentence. Oh, and 'can I get' is another one that boils my whizz.

3 hours ago, Penelope said:

Every sentence containing the words 'Literally', 'Basically' and 'Like'. My two step kids 20 and 17 and my 2 nieces and 1 nephew do this all the time, drives me nuts!!!

I would say it's a lazy way to converse, but they use more words in a sentence than required.

Ah, Wiggerish, bruv.

33 minutes ago, motty said:

You have both omitted to mention "obviously" which is usually used when it is not obvious at all!

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You have both omitted to mention "obviously" which is usually used when it is not obvious at all!

I don't hear it used nearly as much as the others though. My step kids will use, literally, basically and like, two or three times each in a sentence.

My pet hate is starting a sentence with "So".  It's a conjunction and is properly used to join two parts of a sentence as in "Rain was forecast so I decided to take a waterproof coat"

What would annoy me would go something like this "So, rain is forecast therefore I've decided to take a waterproof coat".  In this example 'so' would be fine in place of the 'therefore', but NOT to start the sentence.

There was a recent interview on Radio 4 with a clearly well educated lady (she had a doctorate) in which about half or more of all replies to the questions (which were friendly) started like this  "So, in the current climate ........" and "So, when we looked at ........" . In each case it was a reply to a question from the interviewer, and therefore a conjunction was not an appropriate start.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I am glad to see it's not just me. I find the fashion for starting off an answer with "so" to be incredibly annoying. Where did it come from? It seems to be favoured by academics and comes across as slightly patronising, as if the Learned One is about to explain something important to a slightly dim child. 

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

My pet hate is starting a sentence with "So".  Its a conjunction and is properly used to join two parts of a sentence as in "Rain was forecast so I decided to take a waterproof coat"

What would annoy me would go something like this "So, rain is forecast therefore I've decided to take a waterproof coat".  In this example 'so' would be fine in place of the 'therefore', but NOT to start the sentence.

There was a recent interview on Radio 4 with a clearly well educated lady (she had a doctorate) in which about half or more of all replies to the questions (which were friendly) started like this  "So, in the current climate ........" and "So, when we looked at ........" . In each case it was a reply to a question from the interviewer, and therefore a conjunction was not an appropriate start.

I agree entirely. Even some of the more intelligent people being interviewed on radio 4 of late have started their resonses with 'so'.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I don't know.  It is reasonable to suspect America since most annoying things come from America, and that includes language related matters.

I work for a Dutch company and we Brits have joked about this for years.

Every sentence seems to start with “ sho” ( the ‘h’ being added for the Dutch accent).

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 17:39, frankydiver said:

fake Jamaican boils my p- - -

I was sitting on the bus a couple of months back and a couple of (what I thought was) west Indian lads sitting behind me were talking away the whole time.  "Dis am wot you have to do Bro, its dif-i-cul-t" and that sort of thing.  That's not at all unusual in my part of London. What surprised me was when I got off I glanced back and it was a couple of white lads sitting behind me 

I told my son afterwards and he said it happens all the time.  

Edited by Vince Green

37 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I was sitting on the bus a couple of months back and a couple of (what I thought was) west Indian lads sitting behind me were talking away the whole time.  "Dis am wot you have to do Bro, its dif-i-cul-t" and that sort of thing.  That's not at all unusual in my part of London. What surprised me was when I got off I glanced back and it was a couple of white lads sitting behind me 

I told my son afterwards and he said it happens all the time.  

Yep, wiggerish!