Car camera to catch vandalism

treetree

Some of the cheap car dvrs have motion sensor recording now, have been playing with one and a external battery to make a trail cam for sub £30.

the question is what are you going to do if you have evidence of the person? Is it a restricted car park so only employees can get in so you can narrow the search down? If its just a randomer coming into a public space then its a slim chance of finding them unless they do it every tuesday at 3pm.

just speaking from experience of many cctv jobs and finding the person is difficult and most results I have got are from a lucky brake.

We have had one guy do £3k of damage to a car and just drove off,. The only reason we got him to fess up is he got out to see the damage so we could nail him.

Lots of research needed as RC says?

FWIW. A friend had a PCSO visit following a major garage burglary. She lives remotely. After her conversation with him she gave up as we eventually do? He dismissed as worthless all of her CCTV and security ideas. Crims very smart these days courts weak and easy? What he intimated is that the Police not really interested anyway due to staffing levels.

My Mrs works in security and says your only allowed ones that record whilst the car is running etc. 

If your recording 24/7 or motion activated etc you have to have signs up (cctv in operation etc) 

youd be better off having cctv put up on the building at work. 

Also why is your car repeatedly being keyed? Who did you upset? 

19 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

My Mrs works in security and says your only allowed ones that record whilst the car is running etc. 

If your recording 24/7 or motion activated etc you have to have signs up (cctv in operation etc) 

Just a sign in a window should cover it, something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/cctv-window-stickers

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

You dont have to upset someone to get your your car keyed, some people are just plain nasty or jealous of your car.
I do a lot of repairs on vandalism damage, and quite often it happens in a public place, just after being valeted.
Looking all nice and shiny, and some scrote just thinks 'Im not having that !'

Its a peculiar thing when you cant protect your property, just in case it 'might 'infringe someones privacy.
I understand that some might not like being filmed , but lets be honest, you cant walk down any high street without being covered by  CCTV, shops, parks ect.
I dont want to ignite a big debate about this, but theres a certain amount of double standards, when we live in the most camera covered country in the world, and the legal advice on the governments website concerning home CCTV starts with - Do you really need CCTV ?

As an aside, a friend of mine lives opposite a tram stop, he has CCTV covering his car on the street, as many people do.
He is asked by the police on a regular basis for any footage of incidents that happen at the stop, on the other side of the road.
He was even asked to adjust the camera to cover it.

7 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

It depends where the car is parked. If it is a public place, the public could reasonably be expected to be filmed on CCTV. The OP's car seems to be on a works car park - hence the advice about signage.

Admittedly the signage kind of sorts it legally.
It just seems strange that to make it legal, or to put it another way, to not infringe someones privacy, you have to warn them you are doing it !
If you can see the signs ,you have already been filmed :hmm:
Im not advocating anything in particular here, I just read the GOV website concerning it, and found it to be contradictory and hypocritical.

Regarding the video, its a shame she didnt play the game and wait for the Police to turn up.

They would have both been nailed then.What a pair of Scroats.

And how stupid not to look for a Daschcam.

Regarding your problem.

I remember back in the day of mass car thefts, hot hatches etc. A system called Toad would warn people to move away from the vehicle. 

Before video and alarm would kick in.

Worth a look there ?

Edited by mickyh

Hi treetree, a few questions....have you informed your employer (assuming you're not self employed) of the incidents?  Would it be possible for them to monitor the car park and your car with CCTV?   Is it a private car park? Is it large? Do you always park in the same spot?  Have you made a note of the car reg no's near to your car, to see if one particular car is always parking near you.  If the car park is large, then the chances of one particular car parking very near you every day would be reduced, imo. Is your car parked where lots of pedestrians walk past it?  Hopefully, you'll catch the scum soon.  When you do, remember the Klingon Proverb...revenge is a dish best served cold!  A potato up the exhaust pipe should do the trick!

During the last 5 years at work before I retired I had more flat tyres than I ever had in over 40 years of driving (7 /8). Always the same, happened in an open car park at work. Always a new clouty nail through the tyre on the edge of the sidewall and main tread., above any level that could have picked it up from a random nail in the road and of course not repairable.

We started work at 07:30, I was first to open up and put the kettle on, production manager was next. After that 2, 3, and 4 arrived together. Had   a good think and one morning after the production manager arrived and before anyone else did told the PM I had yet another flat. Went on to outline my thoughts that someone in our factory was doing it. During this process I developed a deliberate hissy fit (almost foaming at the mouth), Told him that if I ever found out who was doing it that person would be a very unhappy bunny. Strange thing is he never said a word just listened.

Never had another flat from a clouty nail after that.  May be presumptuous of me but go figure ???