First time decoying.

Ploughman

32 minutes ago, JDog said:

You may learn more sitting and watching than shooting the odd passing pigeon.

That is exactly what I told Ploughman to do , for a novice setting up on a new field without knowing where the pigeons are coming from or going to very rarely ( if ever ) work.

29 minutes ago, motty said:

Well, I did advise getting set up before the birds arrived. You may well have attracted some early arrivals to your decoys. I hope you did learn something from your morning out.

If the op had minus 4 like we did first thing this morning and the rape was covered with a sharp frost I think he would have been wasting his time putting out a dozen shells without any mechanical devise , he might have got one or two under a sitty tree but would he had known what trees they use first thing in the mornings ?

17 minutes ago, marsh man said:

That is exactly what I told Ploughman to do , for a novice setting up on a new field without knowing where the pigeons are coming from or going to very rarely ( if ever ) work.

If the op had minus 4 like we did first thing this morning and the rape was covered with a sharp frost I think he would have been wasting his time putting out a dozen shells without any mechanical devise , he might have got one or two under a sitty tree but would he had known what trees they use first thing in the mornings ?

I thought he had already watched the field.

11 minutes ago, motty said:

I thought he had already watched the field.

He did the previous afternoon , and the only pigeons he saw was ( in his words ) there is a big gang of pigeons in a tree about 200yds away ( not on my permission ) and now again a odd few fly to my field .................. That didn't tell him what it is like in the mornings

I don't know about you, but I still spend more time looking and watching than I do shooting .

In my opinion, he stood little chance, whatever he may have done. I honestly would have just set some decoys where the most pigeon damage had been done or maybe another likely looking spot. He may have had some shooting. I don't think any less would have been learnt by setting up and giving it a go. He may have learnt when the birds turned up, and how many at a time.

I spend more time shooting than watching.

23 minutes ago, motty said:

In my opinion, he stood little chance, whatever he may have done. I honestly would have just set some decoys where the most pigeon damage had been done or maybe another likely looking spot. He may have had some shooting. I don't think any less would have been learnt by setting up and giving it a go. He may have learnt when the birds turned up, and how many at a time.

I spend more time shooting than watching.

Im with you Motty, get the deek's out , pour some coffee and hope it works out in your favour, there are no prizes for not trying, even on frosty rape, it will normally melt off in an hour or two with a good chance of the odd bird calling in, better than just sitting in the car watching them pass by. We had the same thing here on friday, 7 am start, frosty as santa's grotto, but we managed 5 birds and a few point and hope shots before we gave up , just need to persevere. 

Hiya ploughman! I’d say get out and have a go what have you got to lose, a bit of time maybe but you learn something every time you go out that’s part of the attraction to pigeon shooting! I’d say the pigeons in the tree 200yrds away won’t be there after your first shot so it depends how badly they want to be on your field, and I’d say ideally you set up we’re the damaged short rape is but it wouldn’t hurt to set up in the hedge and place a few decoys on the top of the hedge as it would a place where the birds would rest between feeds and would attract pigeons coming from your tree,

good luck and enjoy yourself you can’t beat pigeon shooting in all its forms! And keep posting and let us know how you fair!

On 14/02/2018 at 19:23, Wilksy II said:

Hiya ploughman! I’d say get out and have a go what have you got to lose, a bit of time maybe but you learn something every time you go out that’s part of the attraction to pigeon shooting! I’d say the pigeons in the tree 200yrds away won’t be there after your first shot so it depends how badly they want to be on your field, and I’d say ideally you set up we’re the damaged short rape is but it wouldn’t hurt to set up in the hedge and place a few decoys on the top of the hedge as it would a place where the birds would rest between feeds and would attract pigeons coming from your tree,

good luck and enjoy yourself you can’t beat pigeon shooting in all its forms! And keep posting and let us know how you fair!

Thanks for your reply and advice, I have been to the field this last couple of Mornings at daylight, I took my gun and sat in the hedge, there were plenty of shootable birds early on but as there are houses close bye I couldn’t shoot as the farmer had had complaints previously. 

I am toying with the idea of a 410 hushpower as I know these pigeons will decoy in close early on from the last 2 mornings. 

Am going to have a look at the 3 shot Mossberg next week does anyone use one of these if so any recommendations for cartridges?

thanks for all advice so far. 

19 hours ago, Ploughman said:

Thanks for your reply and advice, I have been to the field this last couple of Mornings at daylight, I took my gun and sat in the hedge, there were plenty of shootable birds early on but as there are houses close bye I couldn’t shoot as the farmer had had complaints previously. 

I am toying with the idea of a 410 hushpower as I know these pigeons will decoy in close early on from the last 2 mornings. 

Am going to have a look at the 3 shot Mossberg next week does anyone use one of these if so any recommendations for cartridges?

thanks for all advice so far. 

A moderated .410 is a good idea. I use (amongst others) 18gm Eley 7.5s or Fiocchi 18gm 8s. They will do the business at close quarters.

42 minutes ago, Ploughman said:

Thanks for your reply Motty. 

Will take a look at those cartridges when I have a look for a gun. 

The mossberg pump 410 that I have seen. On guntrader some say moderated and some say hushpower are these the same one or different mods?

I'm sure they are the same.

These guns take a little getting used to, but are an effective tool.

I have a moderated .410 .

And really like shooting it . Even over my 20 b hushpower .

I've tried 6 or 7 different carts now .And for me the best allrounder is the gamebore hunting  16  grm of no6 .

There are quieter (dont kill so well ) and there are bigger loads ( too noisy ) but take it from me the gamebore will drop crows at 30 yds and pige out to 35  at a push. Look no further