Mad English Men and 2 Dogs

Clodhopper

Today my friend Giles, JDog and I met up to try and flight pigeons that were heading to feed on some rape in a sheltered valley. The plan was to intercept them on their flight path as they came over the banks at the top end of the valley. 

We shot this line last week and had moderate success until the wind died off. Today the wind was much stronger which  had us all a little excited at the prospect of birds zipping over the crest of the banks.

I arrived at the meeting point to find JDog already spying on the local pigeon populace. There were a 2 separate flocks feeding, with around 300 in total. The weather was lovely, a strong wind, blowing a  mixture of sleet, rain and snow down our necks but the thought of challenging birds was enough to take away thoughts of cold extremities. There was added pressure as my good lady had told me that she fancied pigeon breast for tea.

We secluded ourselves in some willow trees at the base of the bank in anticipation of pigeon arriving from the woods some half mile away. We waited and waited and waited. The birds eventually appeared, sneaking in at the far end of the field. We moved to get under this line and the birds reverted to coming over where we had been in the willows. We moved back. Some birds did appear but were very nervous, which was definitely not the case last week as they came confidently but just too high. Infact we left them pouring into the field last week. I know this field has not been shot since.

We concluded that the birds maybe be unsettled due roost shooting starting last weekend.

2 birds were put in the bag, both nicely retrieved by the dogs, these are marinating as I write this, defrosting in front of the log burner. A discussion as we finished confirmed that we all must be mad to be out in such conditions chasing elusive birds but that is pigeon shooting and we have got the bug.