Here we go again Another probable wazzing.

das

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, SurreySquireler said:

[the father of the boy] whose house the boys were at, was a licensed shotgun and firearms certificate holder, and had his firearms locked in a cabinet as required by the law. He was also the owner of the air weapon in question.

Which means that by law he should have had that air rifle locked away in a gun cabinet with someone under the age of 18 living at the same address

Graham M ....as far as I know he only has to take "reasonable precautions" to prevent access by under 18's - who determines what this means is unclear. If I tell my kids not to touch my Air Rifles then I expect them not to do so, is this a reasonable precaution? (worked for me for over 10 years - not one of my 3 kids ever went near my Guns when they were spread around the house) - whilst buying a cabinet may well be the safest course to take I'm not sure that the Law can force you to do so? As for the latest attempts by Whitehall to further strangle the Shooting fraternity, I say we should remember that attack is the best form of defence - rather than bending over and waiting with a tube of KY why do we not petition Parliament for an increase in the power levels of Airguns?

6 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Graham M ....as far as I know he only has to take "reasonable precautions" to prevent access by under 18's - who determines what this means is unclear. If I tell my kids not to touch my Air Rifles then I expect them not to do so, is this a reasonable precaution? (worked for me for over 10 years - not one of my 3 kids ever went near my Guns when they were spread around the house) - whilst buying a cabinet may well be the safest course to take I'm not sure that the Law can force you to do so? As for the latest attempts by Whitehall to further strangle the Shooting fraternity, I say we should remember that attack is the best form of defence - rather than bending over and waiting with a tube of KY why do we not petition Parliament for an increase in the power levels of Airguns?

The same law of "Taking reasonable precautions" also applies to cartridge  rifles...........and we all know that means a gun cabinet otherwise your FEO won't pass off on your ticket.

It is illegal:

• To shoot on any land, including common land, river banks, public land, recreation and land covered by water, i.e. lakes and rivers where you do not have full permission from the land owner or tenant.
  • To fire an Air Rifle closer than 50 feet (15 metres) from the centre of a public highway, or footpath.
  • To fire an Air Rifle pellet beyond the land to which you have permission to shoot
  • For a person in possession of an Air Rifle to fail to take reasonable precautions to prevent someone under the age of 18 from gaining unauthorised access to it

Which means, as far as most licensing dept's are concerned, locking it up in a gun cabinet.

We can argue this back and forth 'till the cows come home, but I would bet a pound to a pinch of salt that his dad is going to be in breach of his conditions and that he WILL lose his ticket.

Someone has to be at fault and it won't be the police.

•  

I was a fac shooter for years both rifle and hand guns, the law stated we handed all hand guns in . I kept my rifle as I had two perms  for it . I gave up fac a few years ago and came back to shooting air rifles and I have 3 perms. I was gutted when we had to hand our hand  guns in , all hand gun sport as gone and for what , there are more guns on the streets now and all licenced users have lost there sport,

I totally understand your point Graham but this scenario comes down to the Police and their ability to decide how they see the law - a cabinet is not essential. I think that prosecution will be down to how much the local police want to push it - guidelines are one thing but the attitude of your average FEO can vary considerably and more so over the last couple of years when they have been so behind with applications/renewals.

If you are an FAC holder you are a 'known entity' to the Police, and so they would expect you to treat your sub-12s with greater care than a non-FAC holder (even if there is no legal requirement to do so).

This makes me laugh. And I'm sorry for that, but

Many mocked Scotland when they pushed for licensing. And laughed when I said it would only be a matter of time before Westminster did the same. And this, under a Tory govt?...? I did warn you all.

I go against the grain as an Airgun, FAC and SGC owner though - my view is licensing should have been done 40 years ago. Doing it now is like shutting the door after the horse has bolted. Of course this hurts the law abiding, but instances involving air guns is all too common and something has to be done. The problem is there's far too many already in circulation.

2 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

my view is licensing should have been done 40 years ago. Doing it now is like shutting the door after the horse has bolted. Of course this hurts the law abiding, but instances involving air guns is all too common and something has to be done. 

Do you have a link to statistics for these "all too common instances" please?

Guest topshot_2k
3 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Of course this hurts the law abiding, but instances involving air guns is all too common and something has to be done. The problem is there's far too many already in circulation.

Then they should start by handing out proper sentences for misuse and for anyone caught with air guns not locked away when there are under 18s living in the house.

Licensing will do little to reduce the amount of crime as the handgun ban proved, will cost the tax payer and make shooting less accessible for youngsters. The firearms licensing can't even get the SGC and FAC application processed on time let alone process thousands of air rifle licenses. 

Signed the petition. 

Edited by topshot_2k

15 minutes ago, topshot_2k said:

Then they should start by handing out proper sentences for misuse and for anyone caught with air guns not locked away when there are under 18s living in the house.

Licensing will do little to reduce the amount of crime as the handgun ban proved, will cost the tax payer and make shooting less accessible for youngsters. The firearms licensing can't even get the SGC and FAC application processed on time let alone process thousands of air rifle licenses. 

Signed the petition. 

I agree it won't address the issues. But we all know that's not how politics/politicians work. More legislation and restrictions are easier to pass on to the law abiding and look meaningful to 'Joe Public' without ever actually sorting anything out.

I haven't signed the petition. I don't know if I can sign or not due to my location, but I believe it to be wrong for me to add my name to a petition which is solely a devolved issue and will not affect me. It's your fight with your government, not mine - we had ours and lost, even with a hefty petition. But I wish you all good luck.

Edited by Harry Callahan

Petition signed, unfortunately I don't think it'll do much good, our sport is being harmed by idiots who have no regard for the law and it'll be the same idiots who flout it when they bring licencing in, what really gets me though is the damage being done to our sport by fellow shooters, take the cat shot with airgun thread for instance, people on there appearing to condone cat's getting shot as "it shouldn't be in my garden" this type of small minded attitude by fellow shooters is idiotic at best and is doing no end of harm to our sport, or take the recent BOP thread, to a lesser extent the let's bury our head in the sand and deny that BOP are ever unlawfully killed attitude is also harming our sport, if we don't stick together and follow the rules as they are now, no matter how much we disagree with them and also cindem those flouting the law, we are all actively contributing to the end of shooting sports in this country.

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Petition signed, unfortunately I don't think it'll do much good, our sport is being harmed by idiots who have no regard for the law and it'll be the same idiots who flout it when they bring licencing in, what really gets me though is the damage being done to our sport by fellow shooters, take the cat shot with airgun thread for instance, people on there appearing to condone cat's getting shot as "it shouldn't be in my garden" this type of small minded attitude by fellow shooters is idiotic at best and is doing no end of harm to our sport, or take the recent BOP thread, to a lesser extent the let's bury our head in the sand and deny that BOP are ever unlawfully killed attitude is also harming our sport, if we don't stick together and follow the rules as they are now, no matter how much we disagree with them and also cindem those flouting the law, we are all actively contributing to the end of shooting sports in this country.

+1 well said

It’s already illegal to shoot people and cats with guns; licensing airguns won’t change that. 

It is however, much easier to remove such items from the populace once they’re registered. The powers that be however, are fully aware that it is only the law abiding who will license them, but couldn’t care less.