Motorcycle test

Hornet86

As above, got my mod 1 test on the 19th ? Anyone done it recently ? Any tips ?, used to ride a 125 regularly about 10 years ago to get to work and back, in total I rode for about 4 years ish until my bike got nicked,passed the theory,  did my cbt again last week and enjoyed being on 2 wheels but this Sunday will be my first time on the big 600, instructor reckons il need about 3 days training, 3rd day is half a days training and then the test, how easy is a 600 to ride compared to a 125 ? Iv been told there a lot easier to handle due to the weight etc but never actually ridden one it seems very daunting, bricking it slightly if I'm honest, any tips ? 

1976 round the block twice on a Honda CB200.

1 emergency stop and 20 yards using clutch control

3 questions.

Doddle

GT 750 Kettle 2 weeks later!

100's killed in the 70's mind on rubbish handling, rubbish brakes, rubbish tyres and rubbish common sense.

They are fair bit quicker now though.

And the Government dont like Bikes ?

Good luck with it all.

good luck with it was a biker back in the 60,s some of my friends are still at it in their 60,s but another mate tried it again after about 35 year lay off an didnt like it,fireblade for too much for him.didn,t have the magic it had when we were younger.

8 minutes ago, mickyh said:

3 questions.

Doddle

100's killed in the 70's mind on rubbish handling, rubbish brakes, rubbish tyres and rubbish common sense.

Good luck with it all.

As above apart from test on a z200 and z1000 one week later

Passed mine 19 years ago . Mine was a restricted 125 then wait 2 years .

i was that nervous I almost wet myself and got told off by the examiner lol. 

Ive never had over a 400cc as I like enduro bikes. A 600 is only 55bhp I think on the tests bikes so it’s a smooth ride

Edited by team tractor

Haha cheers walshie, and hats off to your mrs, mine won't entertain the idea of bikes full stop, although I think it's it's due to restoring a nsr in the kitchen for 18 months, still have the oil stains on the kitchen table, well, she calls it stains, I call it memories. Hoping to have it all passed for summer. with regards to the slow control I'm feeling confident about that bit, it's the high speed stuff I'm nervous about, I'm doing the mod 1 stuff this Sunday so il hopefully iron out any problems before the actual test, got another full day of practice on the 18th so I can only hope I have it nailed by then, just hope nerves don't get the best of me.

Hornet 86 don't worry about the high speed stuff 600s nowadays are as smooth as silk and still tractable just relax and enjoy it  passed my test in 1973 on a borrowed yamaha yds7 250cc as my rd250 was stolen the day before 2 laps round the block I stop and that was all you needed bought a kawasaki h2 750 triple the week after I have had bikes ever since  enjoy yourself just remember the throttle works both ways . Rob

Did a two day course including tests to go from cbt plus a bit of pottering about to 600cc a few years ago. I got one minor, my mate got four. It was easier than we both expected. We did one full days tuition including some module one test track time, then the mod one test the following morning, then another morning of a short ride then mod two.

600s are very different to a 125, everything has to be much smoooother in terms of control inputs. 

Download and memorise all the showme tellme questions, there is no excuse for losing such easy marks, have faith in how grippy the mod one surface is, watch lots of youtube videos to try and work out what is expected for both mod one and two. 

9 hours ago, mickyh said:

3 questions.

Doddle

Good luck with it all.

yep easy in the old days,been there done it.past on a 250cc

Edited by mossy835

10 hours ago, mickyh said:

3 questions.

Doddle

Good luck with it all.

A mates brother was doing the same on a CB 125 when he got a puncture, the examiner walked up to him, failed him for mechanical failure then strolled off back to the test centre leaving him stranded!

@Hornet86 I did what you are doing 2 years ago, so quite recently.

If you have a good instructor and listen to what they say you should be fine. I found manoeuvring the bike a little tricky at first but then just practiced when there was down time.

On the mod 1 I stupidly put a tyre over the line in the ride in/out of the garage section, I put that wobble down to nerves then was 1km under speed on tthegun on the last stop test. But both minors so still a pass. 

Mod 2 I actually took a wrong turn due to a misunderstanding, do thought I had failed. From that point on I just ride it out completely relaxed as I thought it was just practice for next time. When I got back he passed me two minors.

The last geared bike I rode before doing all that was a fizzy in the late '70s - so if I can do it anyone can.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

1975 round the block test honda C50 push rod engine 1964 model, climbed off that and jumped straight on a Triumph T120 1969 model 650. , kept ridding still do  xt600e drz400 .

Never did the super bike thing or the Harley Davidson  thing  just  old suzuki gs fours the odd brit and various trail bikes mostly Yamahas.

I do a weeks holiday on the bike most years in scotland midges and all.

Edited by lancer425

When I did my test many moons ago I remember instructor telling me leaving your indicators on was top of fail’s along with life saver checks & not checking mirrors. On my test day previous guy failed for life saver checks & doing 40mph in a 60mph zone, he was trying to impress the instructor by not showing he was a speed king, as for a 600cc you will find them a lot easier to ride than a 125cc. Just remember the examiner just wants to see you are safe on the road, try & relax,hope this helped & very best of luck mate.

Edited by blackbird

Good luck, you will be grinning from ear to ear.

The 600 will feel a lot more stable which inspires confidence. Try not to get nervous and keep a clear head!!

When my partner did her test she really couldn't get on with the 125, she was being pushed all over because of the weather, stuck her on the 600 and it transformed her riding confidence 

Don't panic about the high speed stuff, I was told years ago the bike is better at straight lines than you, just relax and let it move about beneath you. Riding motocross teaches a lot about how they behave, to a beginner it can feel unnerving.

Edited by R1nut

I did direct access years ago also on a 600. Be careful with the slow riding and turning around in the road (curb to curb) I failed the first time on this point as I put my foot down during the turn and managed to stall the bike! As long as you look at where you are intending to go rather than the front wheel or road directly in front of it you will be fine. Passed second time and went out and bought a shiny red Kawasaki ZX-9R, and spent many years of exhilarating riding, but alas I am now bikeless :(

And remember heavy left foot, I dont know if they fail you if you drop your right foot first might be worth checking with your instructor

Good luck mate!

Done my tests about 3-4 years ago. Mod 1 was the hardest and that's because it's in your head! Nerves had me but honestly if you've rode before you'll be sound and its over so fast. 

Also trust the surface - I did mine in the pouring rain and the grip was amazing better than any other surface you'll ever encounter. Like **** to a blanket.

Enjoy it and good luck and on 19th post up the results 

On 10/02/2018 at 20:22, biketestace said:

I was lucky enough to have owned a training school for 5 years, and have 5 previous years working for other training schools.

Listen to your instructor !

Enjoy yourself !

Listen to your instructor :good::good:

this!

oh and dont try and get your knee down! ;)