lakeside1000

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, KB1 said:

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the not insignificant fact that its illegal to push (or bury) a misfire in the ground

And if one of my kids happened upon it, I'd be looking for someone to lose a limb! 

Is it? Can you provide a link to that please.

What a very interesting thread this has been, quite honestly I am surprised some of you ever go out and shoot!

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Is it? Can you provide a link to that please.

What a very interesting thread this has been, quite honestly I am surprised some of you ever go out and shoot!

I will try and find one……..

Who was your comment aimed at?

Edited by KB1

19 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Thank you, just read through that and can find the bit about it being illegal, but it is without substantive information as to what BASC are basing their advice upon.

It does mention it being illegal, but make no reference to the law that covers it.

Disposal of live/misfired shotgun cartridges:

Contact your local police firearms licensing authority who can collect live or misfired cartridges and dispose of them. The Health and Safety Executive also provides guidance on disposal of large quantities of live or misfired ammunition. DO NOT dispose of live or misfired cartridges through domestic waste, burial or burning – it is illegal and dangerous.

Edited by Newbie to this

16 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, thanks I read all of it, but would like to know which law it is basing the guidance upon.

Sorry, I miss read you post and thought you said you couldn't find the bit about it being illegal. I had a Sunday afternoon brain malfunction :lol:

Edited by Newbie to this

34 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Really, for a single misfire?

HSE can be very anal, 

I agree with you it's no big deal and I have had god knows how many over the last thirty odd years and never gave it a thought on fact we would pass it around for inspection ?

I posted that it was illegal based on what I had been told many years earlier, and when I googled it and found that it had been confirmed on the BASC website, quite honestly, that was enough for me not to pursue clause such and such; sub section blah blah blah……..  Anyway, having a law that prevents live ammo being buried in the ground seems to me to be a sensible one, as it removes the subjective nature of what one person or another deems as safe practice when disposing of such.

48 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I don't doubt it is sensible, I just seek confirmation rather than here-say!

You could always email BASC for substantiation if you feel their publication is based on hearsay :whistling:

Edited by KB1

1 hour ago, KB1 said:

I posted that it was illegal based on what I had been told many years earlier, and when I googled it and found that it had been confirmed on the BASC website, quite honestly, that was enough for me not to pursue clause such and such; sub section blah blah blah……..  Anyway, having a law that prevents live ammo being buried in the ground seems to me to be a sensible one, as it removes the subjective nature of what one person or another deems as safe practice when disposing of such.

well, no, it doesn't, it just makes it illegal to push it into the mud or bury it, which I would have said is safe... 

It doesn't stop me throwing it in the sea, posting it to the police, taking it to bits, putting it back in my gun and trying to shoot it again etc. 

It's pretty academic I suppose but I am curious what law covers it, i.e. is it firearms law or disposal of hazardous material or both or neither? 

25 minutes ago, KB1 said:

You could always email BASC for substantiation if you feel their publication is based on hearsay 

I could but I really feel the onus is on the person that stated it was illegal and now cannot substantiate their claim, I await their response to back up their claim.:rolleyes::whistling::yes:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

14 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

well, no, it doesn't, it just makes it illegal to push it into the mud or bury it, which I would have said is safe... 

It doesn't stop me throwing it in the sea, posting it to the police, taking it to bits, putting it back in my gun and trying to shoot it again etc. 

It's pretty academic I suppose but I am curious what law covers it, i.e. is it firearms law or disposal of hazardous material or both or neither? 

It doesn't what?

As to what specific law, I haven't got a clue:hmm:

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I could but I really feel the onus is on the person that stated it was illegal and now cannot substantiate their claim, I await their response to back up their claim.:rolleyes::whistling::yes:

I assume that your referring to the third person is me:) Ive now passed the onus onto BASC:)

You so want me to be wrong……… I can feel your pain TC:sad1: