Reload

Evening peeps

Probs been done a thousand times but if I dont ask I will never know

The wife wants to come to the clay ground  so bought a 20 gauge for her , he is the snag I've decide to load my own have the gear  just never loaded 20 g before , can someone advise a load and what bushes out from the lee load 2 I have  please

Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, snow white said:

I load 2/3 thousand a year only trouble i find is cases split so i use new ones but started to do roll turn only because got feed up of throwi g cases in bin.

All the best .

That is the big trouble with some 20 cases the quality is simply not there in the plastic any more, Once fired if not pin holed on the fold areas are very thin .

Its a shame i would use  a20 all the time for pigeons with a light steel load but cases are the killer wastage in gathered cases is higher than 12s.

Guest cookoff013
1 hour ago, pinfireman said:

I,m thinking of buying a  pallet of once fired 20g from Ballistic Products USA....good cases, Winchester, Remington and Federal,  If I can get  some others interested, it could be viable?

Don't even go there. Itll be way cheaper to make your own empties. American hulls have smaller internal volume, meaning you need to buy imported American wads and find right recipes, thats if you can find the powders. 

Cook.

Hi Cookoff, I have several thousand American wads, and will be bringing another 5000 back with me in May.......powder is no problem, I acquired quite a few tubs of Red Dot, Blue Dot, 2400 etc, when a local gunshop closed.  I have approx 1500 Remington RXP cases, 1000 Blue Magic cases and about 2000 Winchester AA cases. I,ve been reloading since 1976.  My machines are set up for compression cases, and I get several loads out of each case........Most Cheddite cases are rubbish. The cases I would like to bring in, in quantity, would be an assortment of gauges, particularly 20, 28 and 410.

Edited by pinfireman
mis-spelling

Guest cookoff013

pin,

i can already see that your reloading is different from everyone elses, your criteria is slightly different from us euroboys. the 1000 wads for me are a non starter. you pay import tax on them. 

a few tubs of reddot are nice but are borderline double the cost, of a european powder. thats comparing maxam vs alliant reddot. now because the hulls are different it may be that they are economic loads (hs hulls).

the cost of the final reload is often overlooked. 

18grain AS, fibre wad, 32g lead could be the same or less cost than 22grain AS, fibre wad 28 gram lead, if powder costs too much. (usually the case). if lead gets 10% more expencive, may as well reload 32g all the time.

57 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

pin,

i can already see that your reloading is different from everyone elses, your criteria is slightly different from us euroboys. the 1000 wads for me are a non starter. you pay import tax on them. 

a few tubs of reddot are nice but are borderline double the cost, of a european powder. thats comparing maxam vs alliant reddot. now because the hulls are different it may be that they are economic loads (hs hulls).

the cost of the final reload is often overlooked. 

18grain AS, fibre wad, 32g lead could be the same or less cost than 22grain AS, fibre wad 28 gram lead, if powder costs too much. (usually the case). if lead gets 10% more expencive, may as well reload 32g all the time.

Exactly   The economics don’t make sense, my reasons to want to load  steel in 20s areto reduce powder cost and economise  slightly on shot, cheap ex gamebore clay ground scrap once fired cases if not pin holed or split get the job done, but not all the loads they produce leave the hulls in a practical usable state, sure you can get a crimp anything will load a case lee load all to dillon  matters nothing , these cases are Just up to surviving one loading but not in all cases some are barely worth picking up. 

Now12s16s they seem to be stronger and its rare not to get one proper reload with full performance, just seems to be the 20s in some gamebore lylevale loads dont fare very well. New cases cancels out any gain for steel pigeon in the 20, so i sort through all i get free build up a stock then load it but wastage is high on once fired .                                                    

I also have european powders, and data for the same for compression (and compression type)  cases.  I load 10% less euro powders in these cases, than I would in Cheddite,  and have submitted them to proof house in the past. All  within safe pressures, and a velocity that I,m happy with. They cycle OK through the semi-auto, and have no  hard recoil in my o/u,s. Currently reloading 12g at around £145 per 1,000 (less when I use the powders I bought years ago), and .410 (3") for around £125 per 1,000.  I rarely load steel. None of my lead is reclaimed clay ground stuff.

I found that the way to keep costs down was to buy in bulk, whenever possible,  and share the cost with a couple of friends (both sadly passed away now).