Wild afternoon in the Wolds

Mightymariner

I've not been out shooting for ages and didn't expect to be free yesterday, but fortune smiled and I was.

I have various options for roost shooting but hadn't seen JDog for ages so asked he was free. He was, but only until the rugby came on TV.

He kindly invited me to a wood close to his home, which was an easy walk.

The winds were strong and gusting nicely as we approached, and a few pigeons scattered out of the far end.

After JDog had seen off some local youths on motorbikes we took up position inside the wood.

All the early shots were JDog's but Jasper did mark one of mine which flew on and dropped further in.

All the shots were stonkers, this wood was mixed broadleaf and the trees are mostly 35-40 yards up.

I moved further in and while I didn't have many shots, I was very happy with the three stormers I brought down, all second barrel, dead.

After a while it went quiet from the other side, I assumed JDog had retired to his log burner. 

I stayed till 5pm, having no more shots.

There weren’t as many pigeons as I expected but every one shot was one to remember.

At 7:30 this morning from the warmth and comfort of my bed I saw a flock of over 200 pigeons come from I know not where and alight in the same wood. At 8:30 another lot arrived. I cannot understand this behaviour.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:17, JDog said:

There weren’t as many pigeons as I expected but every one shot was one to remember.

At 7:30 this morning from the warmth and comfort of my bed I saw a flock of over 200 pigeons come from I know not where and alight in the same wood. At 8:30 another lot arrived. I cannot understand this behaviour.

That's pigeon's for yer.  Never cease to amaze you. Always unpredictable. So get em when you can.  :yes: