AGAIN!! Waste not want not

Walker570

I think I mentioned the 90 odd pallets I had been given. Well, I had started to take some apart, purchased a tool for the job and discovered it was about 1/4 inch too narrow, no problem ground that away and brilliant does the job.  Then on sneaking around part of an estate I have permission to shoot on, I found an old pheasant pen at the cross roads of four rides and a frame about 4ft off the ground which had a water tank on. The frame is still pretty solid and I had the flash of inspiration. Why not use some of that pallet timber to build a hut/hide on top of this frame which has a perfect view down each ride, which also have pheasant feeders on. Weather was kind this morning so I set about it. One of the pallets was double sided so very strong, so i used this as the floor and worked from that. 10 inch windows on all four sides which will have storm flaps for when I'm not there to keep the inside dry. Will have a coat or two of green garden fence paint and a roof.  All four rides are perfect for flattening any tree rats but also heavily used by munties.  A couple of bags of horse carrots and a bag of maize might just start things off.

Driving sleat and rain just stopped play, so the job is not yet complete.

2018-02-11 12.39.35 (800x450).jpg

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I think I mentioned the 90 odd pallets I had been given. Well, I had started to take some apart, purchased a tool for the job and discovered it was about 1/4 inch too narrow, no problem ground that away and brilliant does the job.  Then on sneaking around part of an estate I have permission to shoot on, I found an old pheasant pen at the cross roads of four rides and a frame about 4ft off the ground which had a water tank on. The frame is still pretty solid and I had the flash of inspiration. Why not use some of that pallet timber to build a hut/hide on top of this frame which has a perfect view down each ride, which also have pheasant feeders on. Weather was kind this morning so I set about it. One of the pallets was double sided so very strong, so i used this as the floor and worked from that. 10 inch windows on all four sides which will have storm flaps for when I'm not there to keep the inside dry. Will have a coat or two of green garden fence paint and a roof.  All four rides are perfect for flattening any tree rats but also heavily used by munties.  A couple of bags of horse carrots and a bag of maize might just start things off.

Driving sleat and rain just stopped play, so the job is not yet complete.

2018-02-11 12.39.35 (800x450).jpg

Careful you don’t scratch the side of that Landy. 

20 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

I do like a good pallet build, built a set of garden benches from a load of offcuts from a roof truss bin a few years ago and are still going strong.

Pallet builds are fantastic , I've been watching a shed being built from pallets at work , I reckon to buy the shed would have cost a grand or more ,and wouldn't have looked half as good.

Coat of green fence paint and it should blend in nicely. I think I know where there is a couple of pieces of profile roof sheeting which will do the job nicely.   Certainly need a couple of shelves inside for the coffee mug and biscuits, not sure about the stove though..   Yes, I think the wood alone for this small job would have been up around the £80 mark. OK there is a fivers worth of screws in there. Didn't use nails because if I find it need extending or altering I can just take the screws out and adjust.  Should have it up and usable this Saturday, so will take some more photos in situ.

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Coat of green fence paint and it should blend in nicely. I think I know where there is a couple of pieces of profile roof sheeting which will do the job nicely.   Certainly need a couple of shelves inside for the coffee mug and biscuits, not sure about the stove though..   Yes, I think the wood alone for this small job would have been up around the £80 mark. OK there is a fivers worth of screws in there. Didn't use nails because if I find it need extending or altering I can just take the screws out and adjust.  Should have it up and usable this Saturday, so will take some more photos in situ.

I look forward to you extending it, I'm sure the East wing will look lovely!:good: 

Nev let me know if you want some cam-net to cover it.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

18 hours ago, ditchman said:

do us a favour...if you put a screw thro' yer foot .....

DONT TAKE A BLOODY PICTURE OF IT PLEASE.....

This reminded me of being out on a barbecue with my father. It was a seriously posh doo and because the people running it where in the meat trade lots of sausage etc.  We sat at a long table and we had some hot dog style buns being passed down the line. My dad very quickly removed one of the sausages and replaced it with a plastic reproduction of a thumb which had been ripped from a hand, which was so realistic, I think ditchy would have fainted. It got passed down the line and suddenly there was the most unholy scream as the recipient happened to be one of the posh ladies and only a quick splash of water stopped her passing out.  I don't think my mum spoke to dad for a month after that incident.  You would not have thought butter would have melted.

19 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Your a man of my own heart Walker570 , I love recycling bits and pieces from what people dump in skips ect ,

I had a fairly exposed rape field down the marsh a few years ago , going past a skip , there was a couple of fairly new four foot by six foot fencing panels laying on the top , I asked the owner if I could have them and he said yes of course you can, be nice to see them reused , I did reuse them but not the way he was thinking .

I carried them both down the marsh and stuck them in the middle of the field in a v shape , all I had to do was to take my seat and a net . I could turn the panels to whatever way the wind was blowing and just hang the net on the front , another advantage was , they protected you from the cold wind and you had more than enough room for your dog  , simple method and the pigeons came to the decoys as if they didn't exist .

On 2/11/2018 at 22:02, Walker570 said:

Did you finish this project? Or is it still leaning against the land rover?

It is all complete and loaded on my trailer ready to be taken to it's allotted position covering four rides which indicate motorways in all directions for munties. Would have been in position last Saturday but a small hole appeared in the header on one side of the V8 and needed a bit of welding so rather than risk a 150 mile round trip like that, it has been sorted and this Saturday is the day.   Had an old typist chair which I modified to be at the correct height for the 33inch threshold on the shooting windows.  The hut being 4ft square that enables a shot to be taken in any direction without moving from the chair, just rotate.  Come rain or shine I can sit there and smooze all day:yes::good::lol:

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

It is all complete and loaded on my trailer ready to be taken to it's allotted position covering four rides which indicate motorways in all directions for munties. Would have been in position last Saturday but a small hole appeared in the header on one side of the V8 and needed a bit of welding so rather than risk a 150 mile round trip like that, it has been sorted and this Saturday is the day.   Had an old typist chair which I modified to be at the correct height for the 33inch threshold on the shooting windows.  The hut being 4ft square that enables a shot to be taken in any direction without moving from the chair, just rotate.  Come rain or shine I can sit there and smooze all day:yes::good::lol:

sounds ideal look forward to seeing pics of end result

Well, I finally got to complete the high blind other than fine tuning, drop down window covers etc. Did manage to pit in a shelf for my coffeee cup and biscuits though.

Pictures speak louder than words.

I left the area along for four hours then went back and sat in it for two. I was a bit dissappointed on the other ride i had a look at , nothing seemed to be moving, one tree rat at 220yrds away and a muntie buck almost walked into the Landie but that was it. I expected after all the snow and it was a smashing day, sun shining, everyhting would be after feeding up.

Sat in the new nlind and again it was seriously quiet, eventually a tree rat did come to have a look at the beans I had spread up the ride and departed this world, followed by a second and I thought here we go...then it went dead quiet again.   Now this bit of scrub is stinking with munties normally and eventually a half grown doe walked across the ride without stopping. Then a 1/4 sized one came and knocked hells bells out of the spring pecker on the pheasant feeder. Neither worth shooting. Eventually I gave up and moved to another pre baited ride and sat again for an hour , zero, so I upped pegs and left for home.  The really good bit of the day apart from just being there, was, I saw three barn owls in different areas.  before leaving I laced the rides with some left over horse beans, peanuts and carrots, so leave them 10 days and go back and see the result. You can just about see it.  I have put a flip top feeder on the small tree on the left just as the tunnel starts but need to prune a bit of trash so I can see it clearly. 

2018-03-05 10.02.59 (800x450).jpg

2018-03-05 10.01.38 (800x450).jpg

2004-01-01 00.00.00-1 (800x599).jpg

Edited by Walker570