Blackbirds

Farmboy91

2 hours ago, getthegat said:

What about a raptor dummy of some sort, hawk or owl? Nothing to do with your summer berry problem, but I've been noticing a lot of blackbirds around at the moment and in little flocks of 8 or more. Not good news for berry growers I guess.

I think the dummy is worth a go,

2 hours ago, amateur said:

I built a frame net for our soft fruit beds and brassicas, which keeps the birds off.

Now I have to find a way of stopping our Scottie bitch from scoffing the carrots this year

Ideally Id like to net it as it would be properly bird proof but the area is just too big 

My grandad used to have a fruit cage, basically a pen for them. Using chicken wire. Kept  most things out. And was able to grow his berries knowing they were safe from blackbirds. We net ours and have in the past draped net curtains over them, doesnt danage the plants and lets light and water through. 

Edited by ShootingEgg

4 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

My grandad used to have a fruit cage, basically a pen for them. Using chicken wire. Kept  most things out. And was able to grow his berries knowing they were safe from blackbirds. We net ours and have in the past draped net curtains over them, doesnt danage the plants and lets light and water through. 

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

You can get some quite light but strong nylon netting in garden centres etc.which are OK for fruit on bushes and having a low wind drag works OK on light canes.  However, it is difficult to net a large tree like a cherry.

Thanks for all the suggestions, definitely think a raptor dummy is the best shot as I'm not sure id physically be able to net both areas 

3 minutes ago, getthegat said:

We've had a dummy hawk on our terrace fence, not had barely a bird near it in 8 years.

Was it a particularly expensive or detailed one? 

We have had our cherry netted for about 8 years. It started off as a small tree, and I do have to prune it each year to keep it within the bounds of the netting.

I extended our netted area to cover the brassicas, raspberries, gooseberries and blackcurrants this year using proprietary aluminium tubing so that my wife can walk in and garden and the birds keep out.

I have now improved the door catches so that our scottie bitch cannot nose her way through the gates and snaffle the carrots. 

30 minutes ago, getthegat said:

Got it from a garden shop. Quite detailed. About twenty quid if I remember right.

Thanks, shooting show this weekend so I'll have a look into next weekend 

8 minutes ago, benbaikal said:

i have got a load of netting free to anny body who wants it and will collect from leicester approx 30 nets 10x8

Shame I'm not coming that far up, thanks anyway.