.243 reloading powder

• 2 weeks later...

We'll have to wait and see but we will have Alliant, Viht and RS powders all of which are currently in plentiful supply.  I doubt that there's a danger of companies as large as those failing to meet UK demand which is only a fraction of total demand.  The failure would be on importers for not starting the supply gearing now to meet the dwindling supplies of non-compliant powders as supplies run out (don't forget, its only importing them that is banned from April, not selling current stocks AFAIK).

Expect some sort of excuses for prices rising though.  

Edited by Savhmr

On 12/02/2018 at 09:49, rimmie said:

Get some reloader 10X for the .204 Steve, FANTASTIC. It’s NOT on the banned list. 

hi i use vit 160  its great  100 g sp       in 243         but i use  lilgun in my hornet    wow    thats a great powder    12g     with a vmax 35 g bullet head   3000 fps  and super good groups out to 150 yards 

I've just started working up a load using Vit N160 and 100gr Sierra ProHunters.

I have tested an initial batch at 1.0gr increments from 34.5 to 39.5 (just above to just below book min / max). Prior to any fine tuning I had good results with 35.5gr and 39.5gr, with the 39.5gr just edging it at around 0.5" @ 100yds and no pressure signs at all.

Unfortunately work intervened and I am now off in Egypt for the next month or so, but upon my return I will load up either side in 0.1gr increments and see if there is any significant improvement. I shall also run them all over the chrono to see what sort of velocity they are pushing. Certainly the initial impressions are very good, the groups are tight and it is not an unpleasant powder to shoot.

Ramshot hunter is good and all the Ramshot powders are compliant, I also use Vit 135 (again compliant) If you can get it Varget is fantastic but as rare as hens teeth now as it was so good across most rifle calibres. Not compliant in its present form. Whether the recipe will be changed to meet the EU Reach regs remains to be seen, but as its produced in Australia,  sent to the States fore repackaging, then sent to Europe for distribution, don`t hold your breath that this is going to happen any time soon.

Yes, Ramshot small spherical grain powders are all excellent powders and in terms of R&D, amonst the most advanced in development for their military applications.  Double base although not reputedly the barrel burners that extruded DB like N540 can be at hottter loadings.  One of the main advantages in using them is that they meter and throw very accurately so if you want to speed up reloading and have a decent powder thrower, the Ramshot powders can be thrown to 0.1 grains reliably in a decent thrower like a Harrells or BR3.  They are also clean burning.  The two flies in the ointment are general availability is still a little hit and miss and the price at 25% up on Viht, and 20% up on RS extruded powders.

Kranks are advertising Ramshot powder at £39.00 per pound for those lucky enough to be in sensible driving distance. One pound of Hunter powder will provide 162 cartridges firing a 100 grain bullet at the top end load of 42 grains. If you can find the right node for accuracy using less powder, even better. At that price it does compare very favourably with Vit powder.

17 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Kranks are advertising Ramshot powder at £39.00 per pound for those lucky enough to be in sensible driving distance. One pound of Hunter powder will provide 162 cartridges firing a 100 grain bullet at the top end load of 42 grains. If you can find the right node for accuracy using less powder, even better. At that price it does compare very favourably with Vit powder.

Do you know what they charge to deliver ?.  It might be worth considering 7 tubs delivered if delivery costs are reasonable

I phoned Kranks about a month or so ago and the courier charges to a distance band. Bristol  postcode was in a band that was quoted then as £39.00 and my pal OldMan in Staffordshire, his post code produced about £29.00 carrage if I remember correctly. We were up for about 7lbs then and truth to tell I didnt ask what Kranks courier was prepared to deliver in one load,  in either lbs or kilos. Would have to be a good rate when broken down as HPS in Newent (near to you I think) is advertising Vit powders at £78.00 a Kilo.

If you are interested in a bulk order perhaps you can pm me and I will discuss it over the following week/s with my reloading colleges to see if we can get it down to a sensible price. We have found that the x terminator powder is far and away the best for light weight 214 bullets. The TAC powder is not far behind and works great with 30 cal.

I'd be happy to chip into a bulk delivery of Ramhunter if anyone else was interested in chipping in to get delivery costs down?  Not sure whether it could be delivered to a residential address if over 5Kg so it may have to be at a nominated RFD?

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 13:08, Bazooka Joe said:

Will this make a difference when we are out of the EU.?

Probably not, the powders are not imported by the manufacturer, they are imported by independent companies who face a mountain of regulations and paperwork for a small amount of business. They have to wonder is it worth it? when we could be importing skis, tennis racquets or garden furniture instead?

Some times the hill is just not worth climbing for a few quid 

Vhitavouri powders are about £35 a tub in USA , why? because they do not have all the restrictions and regulations that we have.

Edited by Vince Green

On 04/03/2018 at 22:44, Flyboy1950 said:

I phoned Kranks about a month or so ago and the courier charges to a distance band. Bristol  postcode was in a band that was quoted then as £39.00 and my pal OldMan in Staffordshire, his post code produced about £29.00 carrage if I remember correctly. We were up for about 7lbs then and truth to tell I didnt ask what Kranks courier was prepared to deliver in one load,  in either lbs or kilos. Would have to be a good rate when broken down as HPS in Newent (near to you I think) is advertising Vit powders at £78.00 a Kilo.

If you are interested in a bulk order perhaps you can pm me and I will discuss it over the following week/s with my reloading colleges to see if we can get it down to a sensible price. We have found that the x terminator powder is far and away the best for light weight 214 bullets. The TAC powder is not far behind and works great with 30 cal.

Are you in Bristol mate? 

Just curious what rifle range you use for load development etc? 

On 04/03/2018 at 22:44, Flyboy1950 said:

Are you in Bristol mate? 

Just curious what rifle range you use for load development etc? 

Finally had a contact in the USA come up to explain that this 'chemical' problem with the numpties in Brussels has been going on for two or three years.

The chemical is Dibutyl phthalate.  I hadn't noticed any strange things happening to me in the last 40yrs of using some of these powders time will tell I suppose, the greenies in Brussels are not to be doubted.

Word is that all of the powders mentioned are slowly being reformulated but that takes time.

Anyway back to the subject. Yes, at present I would go with Viht N-140 for the lighter bullet weights ..55 -65  and   Viht 160 for 80-90gr   Rel 19 for the top weights

Then it's a matter of jiggling the load to suit your barrel.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Lampwick said:

Does it exist? I can never get an answer on the phone! 

It does indeed exists, and not in the land of Narnia.

Nathan who does the day to day running should answer the phone if he is not in the back of the unit doing the packing. 

Try all the numbers and sometimes it diverts and you get Marks wife on the phone.

Only time I had a problem was when they had some niggles with their online ordering system, an email and I received a phone call to sort it all.