Felt like I'd been robbed.

catchthepigeonmutley

So there I was having a nice relaxing afternoon with Mrs. Catch The Pigeon for her birthday.  She was very careful all day not to reveal her age to all her Facebook friends messaging her (she's 58) and we'd had a very agreeable afternoon tea at a country hotel near Macclesfield.  We had just retired to the bar when the deed was done to the unsuspecting pair of us, namely only getting 40p change out of a twenty for a G&T (double) and a pint.   Anyone else been ripped off to such an extent, or was I just a bit naive?  I knew it would be expensive, but not that expensive.

Edited by catchthepigeonmutley

I'd have had that change out of a tenner.

At that kind of price I would have told them to pour it back in the bottle. For those that pay that kind of price normally good for you, but it ain't going to be me.

The most I've paid (and we drank them) was £8.10 For a pint of bitter and a glass of red, I did tell the chap behind the bar "well done for charging me that amount,but you won't get anymore out of me again" 

Two gin and tonics at Harry's Bar in Venice was the lira equivalent of 40 quid back in the 90's. What can you say or do when the other half has spent all morning rambling on about how wonderful it will be to have a drink in there. We didn't have a second though.

It is sad how pub prices have rocketed. There is one pub at home who can still do a good local ale at £2.50 a pint but everywhere else I never go any more, a few I quite miss but the turning point was when a schoolmate and i met up a few years back in an old favourite and it was over ten quid for two local pints and a packet of crisps. At that price it seems no wonder they have to charge the earth if people only then go out for one rather than the four to ten we used to enjoy.

Now on the occasions we are all back we either go to that one old favourite place or stay in.

Went to the premier league darts last Thursday in Cardiff, £4.90 for a can of Carlsburg export or £11 for a 2 pint plastic glass. £2.50 for a bottle of Pepsi which also had to be decanted into a plastic glass, however there’s more than a pint in the bottle so they were kindly going to dispose of the residual for me!, like hell, pour it into another glass mate!!!.

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

I'd have had that change out of a tenner.

At that kind of price I would have told them to pour it back in the bottle. For those that pay that kind of price normally good for you, but it ain't going to be me.

The most I've paid (and we drank them) was £8.10 For a pint of bitter and a glass of red, I did tell the chap behind the bar "well done for charging me that amount,but you won't get anymore out of me again" 

I'm with you, tight wad.

Short arms and deep pockets. ?