Felt like I'd been robbed.

catchthepigeonmutley

I can't remember which as we went to several but one of the Beach Bars/Clubs in Barcelona royally had my pants down.

Drink prices doubled after 1 or 2  i forget which and we had all bought a round (4 of us) so the cycle repeated and it was again my turn.

I was unaware until the barman patiently waited with his hand out for more money than i had given him to pay the last round.

I think 4 double vodka red bulls cost me about 80 euros we sipped our drinks thereafter. 

I was charged 16 euros for a glass of beer in Rome and it wasn't a place with tables and chairs outside somewhere smart. It was a grotty backstreet hole in the wall well off the main drag.

But then in Bournmouth last summer, hotel bar, £26 at lunchtime for two glasses of white wine and a pint of Peroni. 

At an ice bar in London I paid about £22 for a refill on 2 glasses of champagne

they did ask if I would like 2 new glasses at £8!!

that was after paying about £30 to get in (with a drink) 

to be fair the glasses were made from the frozen tears of Jesus or the like. The mrs refused to eat her 'glass' when we had finished, unlike me!!! 

23 hours ago, catchthepigeonmutley said:

So there I was having a nice relaxing afternoon with Mrs. Catch The Pigeon for her birthday.  She was very careful all day not to reveal her age to all her Facebook friends messaging her (she's 58) and we'd had a very agreeable afternoon tea at a country hotel near Macclesfield.  We had just retired to the bar when the deed was done to the unsuspecting pair of us, namely only getting 40p change out of a twenty for a G&T (double) and a pint.   Anyone else been ripped off to such an extent, or was I just a bit naive?  I knew it would be expensive, but not that expensive.

Just had my BT bill drop on the mat, Does that count ?

Watch your change in these bars as well. When my nephew was a student he worked in several lively city centre bars and short changing was routine to the point of being compulsary. Very few people ever checked their change, keep it small, 20p or 50p and the staff shared out the 'over' on the till at the end of the night.

39 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Watch your change in these bars as well. When my nephew was a student he worked in several lively city centre bars and short changing was routine to the point of being compulsary. Very few people ever checked their change, keep it small, 20p or 50p and the staff shared out the 'over' on the till at the end of the night.

That is actual robbery, not just feeling like being robbed.

8 minutes ago, DannyS said:

Its the "gastro" pubs that **** me off. Cost you a fortune for average food. A place near me charges £23 for a Sunday roast!

Unfortunately in the southeast that seems commonplace. You'll pay £4.50 minimum for an ale and as much as £6.50 for lagers. 

I blame the londoners :whistling::whistling:

Toby Carvery or Weatherspoons every time for value. You have to know where to go

When I'm in London I usually eat/drink at The Bag of Nails in Buckingham Palace Road (Oops shouldn't have said that, don't want it getting too popular)

Edited by Vince Green