Recommend me a vehicle.

aga man

In need of some guidance please folks. I am looking to replace my work van in the next month or so and it turns out, I now need a van that can tow a 21ft caravan. Problem is many caravan sites will now not allow caravans to be towed onto their sites by commercial vans for obvious reasons.

So if I need a vehicle that can pull a big caravan, I am thinking I might as well look for something that can double up as a shooting truck for me and the dogs too.

So I need a vehicle that can carry my tools and spare parts, tow my caravan and get me out shooting when I need to. Perhaps I am asking for too much, but I have no real idea of what I am looking for.

The most important thing is reliability, my current Renault kangoo has been bomb proof and has the room to carry my tools and spares but obviously cant pull the caravan.

I have a budget of 6k and at the minute have considered a shogun 4work swb or a Suzuki grand vitara. Fuel economy is not as important as reliability, so if anyone can suggest an alternative or comment on the reliability of the 2 vehicle I have suggested I would be most grateful.

Thanks guys, I had considered a pick up with canopy but I am concerned about security, I carry over 5k of Aga/heating spare parts as well as my tools. The vehicle is garaged at night but a pick up might be a bit big for my garage, although I used to get my Discovery in there ok.

I was concerned about the lack of space in the swb, perhaps a lwb with blacked out back windows would be better.

For the record Dave, I think pickups are ok on caravan sites, it's mostly a white van thing and lettered up vans, particularly if they advertise tarmac-ing or tree work.:lol:

My farmer friend is in the same position as you at the moment. He needs 3+tn towing capacity and is not a fan of pickups, and has a similar budget to you. Options are limited if you want another commercial vehicle, really only the shogun or a Nissan terrano (if you can find one). However, 2.5 ton towing opens up your options. Mitsubishi make a commercial version of the outlander that may be in your price range or you could look at an Isuzu trooper. I guess you realise you won't be getting a low mileage minter for your budget....

Away from commercials, there are loads of options. I particularly like the 2006 onwards Hyundai santa Fe, but pretty much any turbo diesel 4x4 will tow your caravan.

2 hours ago, aga man said:

In need of some guidance please folks. I am looking to replace my work van in the next month or so and it turns out, I now need a van that can tow a 21ft caravan. Problem is many caravan sites will now not allow caravans to be towed onto their sites by commercial vans for obvious reasons.

So if I need a vehicle that can pull a big caravan, I am thinking I might as well look for something that can double up as a shooting truck for me and the dogs too.

So I need a vehicle that can carry my tools and spare parts, tow my caravan and get me out shooting when I need to. Perhaps I am asking for too much, but I have no real idea of what I am looking for.

The most important thing is reliability, my current Renault kangoo has been bomb proof and has the room to carry my tools and spares but obviously cant pull the caravan.

I have a budget of 6k and at the minute have considered a shogun 4work swb or a Suzuki grand vitara. Fuel economy is not as important as reliability, so if anyone can suggest an alternative or comment on the reliability of the 2 vehicle I have suggested I would be most grateful.

2 hours ago, aga man said:

When my Kangoo got killed, i had to start looking like you and nothing gets close on practicality for a shooting  work general transport bus . Anything  more practical is in a much bigger package.

I got an x trail but although ok its not ideal will be going.

Im looking at a van again looked at t5s merc vittos and trafics and vanos , the last two are good, but for me at this moment in time i am tipping towards as wb low roof VW crafter.

I like the mechanicals RWD the look they drive nice roomy strong and long lived with decent build and construction.

Have a drive in one and  with 6 k to go at you will find one if you like them, i know i like the way they drive and look i am as good as sold on one once i find the right one.

Sprinter basic same but i like the look of the crafter and mechanical differences myself.

image.png.ebd835a97779edaa5f78e148c7255ecc.png

image.png.6f5e55110c55b11b0507bc4b3d746ed7.png

image.png.7ab727d26a0cf9d55c1ef13f60ca890b.pngimage.png.e8d6938ade22613a24b94dde811f10f7.png

Edited by lancer425

There are some 4x4 commercial factory jobs great if you only need 2 seats.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ssangyong/rexton-w-cs

would a transit/vivaro/transporter crew can not fit the bill? Just become a caravan club member? 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708158370364?body-type=Window Van&sort=sponsored-supplied&radius=1501&model=VITO&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&advertising-location=at_vans&postcode=bh49jh&page=1

Edited by HDAV

Be careful what you go for a 21ft caravan is a good size to tow add a van and your overall length is awkward to get around tight bends and some small roundabouts. 

Be careful of the 85% rule for caravan laden to the vehicle weight, otherwise the tail will wag the dog. Pickups are poor at towing long heavy trailers and caravans unless the backs of them are weighted up with canopy and goods over the rear axle. I used to tow with a Ford Ranger and the same caravan towed a lot better with a Audi A4. 

The likes of Discovery’s with trailer stability control are great tow cars. A commercial variant would suit you. A lot of sites we used would not let any vans on towing caravans. 

Edited by figgy
Typos

3 hours ago, team tractor said:

I keep seeing about vans on sites. We camp every year in Cornwall, Devon , wales and never once have I been denied access in my transporters . All are kombis tho but others use vans and just sleep in the back .

I have a C&CC cl and I think the wording of both clubs t&c is not vans per se but sign written vans. It's still ridiculous though because what if a young bloke with a family only has access to his works sign written van, is he not allowed to take his wife and kids camping...it's stupid. Why don't they say what they mean "no travellers"

Edited by ips

14 hours ago, figgy said:

Be careful what yo go for a 21ft caravan is a good size to tow add a Ben and your overall length is awkward to get round tight bends and some small roundabouts. 

Be careful of the 85% rule for caravan laden to the vehicle weight, otherwise the tail will wag the dog. Pickups are poor at towing long heavy trailers and caravans unless the backs of them are weighted up with canopy and goods over the rear axel. I used to tow with a Ford ranger and the same caravan towed a lot better with a Audi A4. 

The likes of Discovery’s with trailer stability control are great tow cars. A commercial variant would suit you. A lot of sites we used would not let any vans on towing caravans. 

I find my l200 rows ours fine and much preferable to the outlaws discovery which I used to hate towing it with.

security is the issue though you can get central locking kits that lock the tail gate on the l200 but not sure i’d Be happy with that with thousands in the back