chokes

Young guns

It's not just about choke it is about cartridge/choke combination and only patterning will give you an answer. My preference is to use as little choke as possible. I would normally opt for imp cyl and quarter as I want a good pattern and a maximium qarter and half.

By way of example I frequently shoot percussion guns that have no choke. As a team we kill as many if not more than most traditional teams and yet none of our guns have any choke. That tells you a lot about choke at normal ranges such as those encountered rough shooting and decoying.

My daughter regularly shoots with me and has cylinder in each barrel of her silver pigeon 12 bore. She kills her share of pheasants.

I expect you will get a lot of contradictory answers so pattern your gun with your favourite cartridge, different chokes, and decide for yourself.

Good luck.

I use improved cylinder and quarter and seem to get on fine - although I must say this is more rather open than most of my friends use. With some loads that I have patterned, the quality of the pattern (in terms of the eveness of the spread of pellet strikes) seems to deteriorate when the choke is three quarters or tighter.   

4 hours ago, Young guns said:

what chokes do people think for decoying and rough shooting .. in english  terms thanks 

What sort of gun are you using at the moment? 

What chokes do you normally put in ? 

7 minutes ago, Young guns said:

I got a beretta silver pigeon and in my gun I got 1/2 and the other choke has no marks or anything so I don't know what that is do you ??

I would say the one that has no markings on it is a FULL , it should have ONE groove on it , perhaps you maybe haven’t noticed it . 

As you already know the other is a half (modified) choke . 

Either way the chokes that are in it are fine , many years ago when I had a silver pig , I think I had a 1/4 and 3/4 and just use the selector depending on the shot and how the bird presented it’s self .