steel shot

brownshooter222

I believe with most nitro proofed guns can use standard steel loads but, for high performance loads your shotgun must be proved to high performance standards and be used through 1/2 choke or less. 

Also i believe standard steel loads can be used through any choke. 

Edited by Clay cracker
Left out information.

You can use steel shot in any gun .It is up to you to decide if you want to or not. In theory there should be no damage to the barrels as the shot is contained in a cup . That said some modern guns are proofed a higher pressures for modern high velocity loads. 

So it would be sensible not to use steel in older guns .There is a question of advisable chokes used in connection with steel shot but I am not going to get into that argument .

Some makers will say that their guns are suitable for steel others say not . This I think is away of them covering themselves against claims for damage..

I have seen guns steel shot proofed with damaged barrels as well older guns . You only need one bad cartridge to do so .

Ask around and you will get several opinions .Its up to you to make am informed choice based on that but please do not blame others if you do take that advice and something goes wrong . Hopefully not .  

5 hours ago, Dangerous Brian said:

The original 325 choke containers were labelled up with nominal choking for lead and steel. from memory anything up to and including half choke was OK (steel full). Above that it said not suitable for steel.

Half choke is half choke, not steel full.

14 hours ago, motty said:

True. It was ill thought out at the time terminology the industry or some of it anyway, decided to add to labels on choke containers owners manuals and such like.

This when you look at it today is a pretty inaccurate way  way of describing things.  most steel shot shooters have become much more discerning and aware of what works and does not work in guns, We were all in the dark and listened to the pres and industry through the periodicals etc, but it soon became clear we had been fed a lot of miss information and steel was behaving way different than it was supposed too.

Steel did respond to choke in fact it liked choke and the use of steel in full choked older guns and tighter than full after market choke tubes soon became common place in the states and soon started to show up over here.

In the context of this thread  the 325 jap barrel is safe as houses on steel, and on stock choke tubes i would follow instructions as on the tube cases as outlined above, if any more choking is required i would buy appropriate after market steel choke tubes of whatever constriction i wanted from full to way tighter than full, the gun will be fine. 

The advice given in manuals and packaging is guns with the factory choke tubes after market chokes countermand any of these instructions as they are depending on the design and construction of the choke tubes to enable such a broader range of choke constrictions to be used.

To add to this many factory full tubes have been used with steel to no ill effect whatsoever both fixed and multi choked barrels, its not saying one should do this that choice is down to the individual to decide what is acceptable to do.

15 hours ago, motty said:

Not if you read some of the postings on the thread " choke determination" ? Choke is aparantly determined by the number of pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards!...not by the difference between the Diameter of the bore and the Diameter of the constriction at muzzle!?

33 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Not if you read some of the postings on the thread " choke determination" ? Choke is aparantly determined by the number of pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards!...not by the difference between the Diameter of the bore and the Diameter of the constriction at muzzle!?

That accepted steel with comparable choke constrictions the % between lead and steel is nothing like claimed by the half equals full in steel guidance which in itself is flawed information . .