Town Pigeons

old'un

Town Pigeons

Don’t usually bother posting what I shoot but this field and its location as been my bonus field for the last 5 weeks, I have a few rape fields to cover and most have been poor shooting throughout the winter averaging 15 to 30 birds, the field in the pictures as been showing birds all winter but the last 3 weeks there’s been 1000+ plus birds on it, I have shot it every week for the last 3 weeks and had bags of 65, 105 and today 78, the reason for the title and the post is the fields location next to the M5 near Bromsgrove, nearly all the birds came over the M5 from the direction of Bromsgrove, they came in small groups of around 5 or 10 birds, when shot at they turn around and head straight back to Bromsgrove, I have noticed this over the years ( and I dare say others have to) that fields near towns seem to get hammered more often than fields further out in the sticks, think they come from golf courses, parks and peoples gardens, just hope they keep coming.

20180212_132623.jpg

20180212_152306.jpg

20180212_152329.jpg

20180212_152403.jpg

20180212_152423.jpg

12 hours ago, motty said:

I have had superb shooting from pigeons that come out of towns. I am not sure if those fields get any more hammer than fields further in the sticks.

If you read any of my posts the town/city pigeons are my main quarry as they are very predictable in the way they flight out to feed and are easy to follow as the numbers in the flocks give a constant line to follow. This year our lines have been indistinguishable. 

Town pigeons are no different than country pigeons except perhaps in terms of numbers.

In all the years I have been shooting pigeons I have only twice been lucky enough to have town pigeons coming to the land that I shoot. Sadly I had to give up the land just outside Evesham when I moved from the Cotswolds. When I moved up here it took me a year to realise that the large Estate bordering the village had a satellite farm ten miles away just outside a North Lincolnshire town. Aga Man and I shot over 100 flighting on that land and Wilksy and I shot sixty six or so the following year.

2 hours ago, JDog said:

Town pigeons are no different than country pigeons except perhaps in terms of numbers.

In all the years I have been shooting pigeons I have only twice been lucky enough to have town pigeons coming to the land that I shoot. Sadly I had to give up the land just outside Evesham when I moved from the Cotswolds. When I moved up here it took me a year to realise that the large Estate bordering the village had a satellite farm ten miles away just outside a North Lincolnshire town. Aga Man and I shot over 100 flighting on that land and Wilksy and I shot sixty six or so the following year.

Hmmm, don’t you think town pigeon get used to seeing and hearing noise, cars, people and are a little more tolerant of disturbance. we have a bird table at the bottom of the garden, there is an Ash tree some 30 meters away that pigeons land in and then fly down to the bird table, I have stood on the patio and these birds still come down and feed, they can see me quite clearly but don’t seem to bothered about me being there, there is a local park/nature reserve not far from home and its full of pigeons, you can walk through this park and pigeons not 50 yards from you are happy to carry on feeding on the grass.    

17 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done I wondered where they had gone to , we shoot by the next junction down and they have not shown this year. Nice comfortable set up , I would have used the trough as a seat, again well done.

Yep, there was a lot of pigeons in that area last year but this year as not been brilliant, strange really because the weather this year 17/18 seems to be a little harder than last year, but I guess that’s pigeons for you, think they have all moved up north?

3 hours ago, old'un said:

Hmmm, don’t you think town pigeon get used to seeing and hearing noise, cars, people and are a little more tolerant of disturbance. we have a bird table at the bottom of the garden, there is an Ash tree some 30 meters away that pigeons land in and then fly down to the bird table, I have stood on the patio and these birds still come down and feed, they can see me quite clearly but don’t seem to bothered about me being there, there is a local park/nature reserve not far from home and its full of pigeons, you can walk through this park and pigeons not 50 yards from you are happy to carry on feeding on the grass.    

I was at the stables this morning to see the morning flight out of the city. I twenty minutes 100 plus came very high so travelling far. In the paddock next to our horse we had 14 birds feeding on the clover.

The normal flight out height is tree high this morning it was three times that.