Importing from the USA

Yes you can, but once you look at the export costs on the far side you may decide there are better ways to find whatever it is you want. 

I was looking for something harder to find a while back, I could have bought one easily in the states though at £500. Getting it back though looked to add a four figure sum. Placing a wanted add here offering a price somewhere between the two would have shaken one of the tree. Placing a few wanted ads eventually found one at a very good price. 

Back in the 80s and early 90s I imported custom made rifles from the USA into the UK as an RFD.  The export duty was $50 and the shipping was usually $100 and this would nornally cover two rifles and possibly spare custom triggers etc.   Then the US Government decided the export license would go up to $250  and shipping/handling cost rose sharply. Add import duty and vat to this and it got silly.

The paperwork is almost like your moving an exocet missile. Back then you could also purchase a rifle at a local store and then bring it back with you and pay import duty and vat here as long as it was on your ticket. 

It has got expensive. I am currently looking for a T/C Encore action, very reasonable in the USA but to ship one in would be very expensive.

I worked through a firm called Worldwide Sports Network Inc.  Have not been in touch with them for 20yrs or more so don't know if they are still in business but they always did a good job for me.

Edited by Walker570

I bought a American 22lr, but used my local RFD, who intern used the UK importer. Yes they are cheaper in the US, but like what has already been mentioned, once all the fees are added, it's cheaper to use the Importer through an RFD. I bought some RangeGuard ear defenders from the US and had a friend send them to me, they was less than half the price that I could get them from the UK, but by the time delivery, import and VAT was paid, they ended up about £5 dearer. You live and learn.

Maybe once we have our own trade deal with the US it might become cheaper, but I wouldn't hold my breath

4 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

I bought a American 22lr, but used my local RFD, who intern used the UK importer. Yes they are cheaper in the US, but like what has already been mentioned, once all the fees are added, it's cheaper to use the Importer through an RFD. I bought some RangeGuard ear defenders from the US and had a friend send them to me, they was less than half the price that I could get them from the UK, but by the time delivery, import and VAT was paid, they ended up about £5 dearer. You live and learn.

Maybe once we have our own trade deal with the US it might become cheaper, but I wouldn't hold my breath

I would suggest that next time you ask your friend to send you something, ask him to write 'gift' on the package, and maybe put a covering note inside it. That way, no duties are paid.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I would suggest that next time you ask your friend to send you something, ask him to write 'gift' on the package, and maybe put a covering note inside it. That way, no duties are paid.

Better stil

wrap in birthday paper or out of its original packaging along with a birthday card.

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Steve, they are way ahead of you on that one, gifts are not exempt from duty and without a proper invoice they won't believe the valuation you declare and will, most likely, pluck something ridiculous out of thin air.

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I back up Vince on this. Do not try to pill the wool on Customs and Excise, it can be very painful if and when you are caught. I've been waved through many times because I have been upfront and truthfull.

+1 a relative of mine works for them if they smell a rat your in **** street

The old gifts story is a throwback to the days when there were thousands of American Service families and people did send birthday and Christmas gifts to family members. 

Rather surprisingly, I have bought a few things from China (like Bushnell rifle scopes) and they never seem to incur duty. I don't understand how that works