Gun Related Number Plates

Matty89

What is the general consensus on gun related number plates?

I personally prefer not to advertise the fact I shoot to the general public however the missus has bought me a number plate as a surprise gift for valentines.

The plate clearly states 'GUN' in it and the car its proposed for is a LR Defender.

I don't want to be an **** about it but I have my reservations with putting it on the car for 2 obvious reasons 

- Advertising the fact I own guns and could be targeted or followed home as a result

- Advertising to anti's who may vandalise my car as a result.

Does anybody have shooting related number plates and have had problems as a result?

I feel quite uneasy about putting it on but don't want to be an unappreciative so and so at the same time.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a few near me and thought about the fact they're advertising themselves as a SGC holder.

Interestingly in my local dealer there was a notice about putting pics on social media posing with a weapon, "Look at me bagging a few woodies", "Oooh look I'm on holiday in Fuengirola and the house is empty"

In all honesty I've seen 12g slabs on the back seat of an empty car in the supermarket car park.

Going back to the original point, I've also seen a pub car park full of Range Rovers etc, disgorging men in tweeds after a day's shooting. It screamed out to me that there were weapons in the boot.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Apart from the security issue, I'm afraid I consider personalised number plates as naff. I can find ways of spending my money more sensibly.

BUT as said, you have to do some carefull explaining to she who must be obeyed if YOU don't want it.  Best of luck.

Yes, that is another valid point!:good:

Wasn't so long ago, I was watching a video on You tube about a shoot. Car park full of discoverys and Rangerovers, then this 90 pulls up with the plate "sniper", it didn't read exactly that but looked mint! So I started to have a look for a few online and there was the actual plate. He must have put it up for sale or something. Think it was about 15k.

Most seem to echo my own thoughts it seems.

The plate dates to 03 so will go straight on my Defender.

I know it will knock her duck off if i moan about it so I think i'll have to bite the bullet and bang it on and hope it doesn't get vandalised as a result.

Its not exactly subtle though especially with the rear 4x4 plates as it will just read...

XXX

GUN

Edited by Matty89

10 minutes ago, labstaff said:

I'v seen a few shooting number plates near me. It's not for me but I do have a basc sticker and the only note left on my car was offering beating. 

That's good to know mate, never even dared put a BASC sticker on mine for fear of the above.

Only have a National Trust sticker in my front window.

I would just explain to your misses your concerns and see what she has to say, she may well agree once you explain. Let her know you are very chuffed with the present but you feel it draws unnecessary attention to the fact that you own guns.

Good luck either way, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

Edited by Newbie to this
Missed a space

I wouldn't worry about putting a plate like that on my truck. Who actually reads other people's plates? If you were "unlucky" enough to be issued a gun-related plate when you bought a new car, would you ask for it to be changed? As someone said above, getting out of a range rover wearing tweeds, or carrying a gunslip out to the car are far bigger giveaways. 

I think you can be overcautious unnecessarily. 

Edited by walshie

Its no for me i try to do everything under the radar and even the folk next door hardly know what i get up to . My cousins the opposite a big mouth flying close to the wind and always seems too be in trouble its like he thrives on it , but as you get older you just cant be bothered with it  

36 minutes ago, Matty89 said:

Most seem to echo my own thoughts it seems.

The plate dates to 03 so will go straight on my Defender.

I know it will knock her duck off if i moan about it so I think i'll have to bite the bullet and bang it on and hope it doesn't get vandalised as a result.

Its not exactly subtle though especially with the rear 4x4 plates as it will just read...

XXX

GUN

That's no good mate. Nice of you to be courteous but you've just outlined legitimate security concerns, my gf's feelings about an unwanted gift wouldn't come before those, that's just my opinion anyway.

13 minutes ago, walshie said:

I wouldn't worry about putting a plate like that on my truck. Who actually reads other people's plates? If you were "unlucky" enough to be issued a gun-related plate when you bought a new car, would you ask for it to be changed? As someone said above, getting out of a range rover wearing tweeds, or carrying a gunslip out to the car are far bigger giveaways. 

I think you be overcautious unnecessarily. 

My thoughts too.

So no one see you walk back to the house with a brace of pheasant. A few woodies or rabbits. The Labrador and you in a Barbour or similar clothing. I’d put it on, what’s the chances you would be targeted for having a plate with gun on. 99.99999% against 

1 hour ago, millrace said:

Dont make it look personal,,plain font proper spacing etc....most plates get altered to look like a word...may not be as obvious as you think...and if theres nothing shooting related on the jeep..stickers etc why would anyone know you shoot......keep it plain.....

I was in the exact position as the OP and I decided rather than upset the apple cart i'd put it on the car, but I went the opposite way to the above. Mine is XXX (my initials) 1 GUN. I've had an 'illegal' plate made that puts the 1 next to GUN so XXX 1GUN and most people who have mentioned the plate to me don't even register the 'GUN' part, they're more interested in what the 'obvious' XXX part is.

I've had it for around 4 years and not had any problems, but the majority of my shooting is at ranges where anti's don't seem to be bothered about.

FYI I have a 'properly' spaced plate for the MOT. I can understand the small/highly stylised letters that are difficult to read but the spacing restriction is just a money spinner for bored traffic cops as far as i'm concerned, it doesn't stop/defeat ANPR cameras or anything.

42 minutes ago, walshie said:

I think you be overcautious unnecessarily. 

what walshie says.

bang it on your disco