Tesla Owner

Brodie

32 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Pistol P - we have a few hybrids at the rental company where I work p/t and the one which scared the pants off me as I took off was a new BMW X5 which went off like a bat out of hell. Huge lump of metal that accelerates like a super car. Great fun though. 

For some reason I got invited on an Audi test drive event and the Q7 electric (I think still a concept then) was the same.... stopping the damned thing as a different matter!

Hi all. I am back in the virtual PW world and happy to report that the Tesla is going well. I have had it 6 months so far and have had three small faults 

The frunk (aka the front trunk or bonnet - as there is no engine this is additional storage) refused to open. This was fixed by a Tesla 'ranger' who did it on my drive

A warning message appeared telling me that the emergency braking (the car will apply the brakes if it thinks you will hit something) wasn't working. This was fixed by an 'over the air' software update.

The air suspension refused to rise. This required a trip to the local service centre.

So not perfect but all were dealt with promptly and in different ways.

I have done a couple of longer runs, the longest being 200 miles to York. This could have been done on a full charge but as I told the car that I wanted to arrive with 15% battery remaining it told me to stop at the Supercharger at Grantham for 10 minutes. Enough time to get a coffee.  In York I recharged at the hotel I was staying which had a charger. So the total cost of a 400 mile round trip was the £7 it cost me to initially fill the car up. Not bad. 

Also went to Norwich. Parked in the city at a car park that had free charging. That topped me up while I had lunch with friends so I had plenty to get back. 

Once you realise what charging is available and the effective range of the car you soon lose the range anxiety that you initially have when driving an EV. 

I have had 7 people in it as well as five people + two dogs with no problem. It is very spacious but does lack the land hight of the Discovery. 

Performance is still stunning. Coming back from York down the A1 I had an M5 on my tail. I soon left him trailing. I slowed down when I got to 100mph as I value my licence and he sailed past probably feeling quite smug. However I had him for toast. 

So I am still very satisfied but they wont suit everybody's needs. 

Any questions feel free to shout.  

1 hour ago, AVB said:

Performance is still stunning. Coming back from York down the A1 I had an M5 on my tail. I soon left him trailing. I slowed down when I got to 100mph as I value my licence and he sailed past probably feeling quite smug. However I had him for toast.   

Which model do you have? The M5 is a monster!

Test drove a Nissan Leaf today and frankly was blown away. Was pretty quick, gripped well and the electronics were awesome fun. I know that electricity has got to be produced somehow but at the power station it's easier to clean up the emissions than on each car. Sorely tempted, and I went in driving a 220bhp Audi TT

15 hours ago, Munzy said:

Which model do you have? The M5 is a monster!

I have a Model X 75D with the uncorked performance upgrade. 

To be fair to the Beamer I had the advantage of getting my foot down first and being electric there is no torque curve whereas the Beamer could have been in the wrong gear! 

Looking at the Beamer stats, on paper, it would beat me 0-60 (3.4 vs 4.2) but don’t know 50-70.  

I think it's the case with Teslas that the batterys are integrated into the chassis, there's no 'battery  pack' which can be easily swapped out.

So when your batterys are done your car's done, a bit like a mobile phone.

And a ****** to recycle.

?

44 minutes ago, Nial said:

I think it's the case with Teslas that the batterys are integrated into the chassis, there's no 'battery  pack' which can be easily swapped out.

So when your batterys are done your car's done, a bit like a mobile phone.

And a ****** to recycle.

?

The batteries can be changed. Yes it’s more complex than changing the batteries in your remote control but it can be done by Tesla (normally if they are damaged by impact). 

Tesla guarantee them for 10 years so, personally, I am not bothered. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 11:51, Nial said:

Will Tesla cars be here in 10 years?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/03/tesla_results_q1_fy2018/

>:-0

Who knows what car manufacturers will be around in 10 years time! Yes Tesla aren't making money at the moment but their problem is one of not being able to make enough cars. They are selling every one they make, they have a large number of deposits taken for the Model 3, and production is ramping up. Musk's problem is one of over promising and then missing the production targets. In some respects their finances mirror Apple's in their early days. 

I recon they will survive or be bought out by one of the major manufacturers. 

My car is on a PCP so, whilst I would like them to survive,  it doesn't affect me if they don't.