Freelander 2 Timing Belt

steve_b_wales

Hi,

If you strip off the auxiliaries and cover to get in to the belt, cut the belt all the way around down the middle (so it’s half as thick as it should be on its width) this exposes enough of the teeth on the sprockets to slide the new belt on then cut the remainder of the old belt off and slide the new belt the rest of the way on. This saves any timing issues or timing pins needed.

hope this helps.

Steve.

17 minutes ago, Stevemitton said:

Hi,

If you strip off the auxiliaries and cover to get in to the belt, cut the belt all the way around down the middle (so it’s half as thick as it should be on its width) this exposes enough of the teeth on the sprockets to slide the new belt on then cut the remainder of the old belt off and slide the new belt the rest of the way on. This saves any timing issues or timing pins needed.

hope this helps.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. The reason I asked is that my local garage who does the servicing etc stated that they couldn't do the job as 'special' tools were needed, at a cost of a few £100. Obviously not, as after I put this question on here, I had a reply from the Freel2 site, and all that is needed is the timing pins, as you mentioned. These are cheap enough to purchase (around £35) I believe. I won't be doing the replacement myself, but appreciate your advice.

5 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks Steve. The reason I asked is that my local garage who does the servicing etc stated that they couldn't do the job as 'special' tools were needed, at a cost of a few £100. Obviously not, as after I put this question on here, I had a reply from the Freel2 site, and all that is needed is the timing pins, as you mentioned. These are cheap enough to purchase (around £35) I believe. I won't be doing the replacement myself, but appreciate your advice.

No problem, hope you get it sorted ?

Just now, Stevemitton said:

No problem, hope you get it sorted ?

Cheers. There's an independent LR repair/service garage near my home, so I'll ask them tomorrow. I would have preferred the other garage though, as I know the owner personally. Not sure why he said what he did. If he didn't want the work I would rather him say, or at least, tell me he's too busy at the moment.

7 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Cheers. There's an independent LR repair/service garage near my home, so I'll ask them tomorrow. I would have preferred the other garage though, as I know the owner personally. Not sure why he said what he did. If he didn't want the work I would rather him say, or at least, tell me he's too busy at the moment.

The engines in the freelander 2 are all ford motors I believe, so most garages would have timing pin kits To do the job. Might be worth phoning a couple of garages to get quotes.

I’ve Done loads them before and just done one last week only tool needed is a 6mm drill bit for the cam pulley and put a paint mark on crank sprocket always replace the water pump can get a skf kit from Andrew page that comes with everything you need pump bolts belt tensioner and idler around 100 quid

13 hours ago, db135 said:

I’ve Done loads them before and just done one last week only tool needed is a 6mm drill bit for the cam pulley and put a paint mark on crank sprocket always replace the water pump can get a skf kit from Andrew page that comes with everything you need pump bolts belt tensioner and idler around 100 quid

Thanks. I was advised by a member of the Freel2 website to use a firm called Gates. They are advertising a full kit for £94. But, it's asking what variant the vehicle is - FA or LF. On the log book the variant says S4F12F and the chassis number starts with SALFA, so what is correct variant?

11 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks. I was advised by a member of the Freel2 website to use a firm called Gates. They are advertising a full kit for £94. But, it's asking what variant the vehicle is - FA or LF. On the log book the variant says S4F12F and the chassis number starts with SALFA, so what is correct variant?

Fa and lf will relate to engine code I think. All I do is give Andrew page the reg number and he checks on his dealer site and always gets the right kit for the engine code Euro car parts do gates timing belt kits they will do the same if you give them your reg number

47 minutes ago, db135 said:

Fa and lf will relate to engine code I think. All I do is give Andrew page the reg number and he checks on his dealer site and always gets the right kit for the engine code Euro car parts do gates timing belt kits they will do the same if you give them your reg number

I’ve emailed Andrew earlier today and I’m just waiting for a reply.:good: