BASC urges members to respond to Labour consultation

David BASC

BASC has welcomed the Labour Party’s commitment to “promote high standards with regards to game shoots, tackle criminality, and promote sustainability” contained within their animal welfare consultation launched today.

BASC will respond to the consultation launched by Labour’s Shadow Secretary of State for the Environment and Rural Affairs, Sue Hayman.

The UK’s largest shooting organisation is also encouraging members and anyone else who shoots to give their view on the draft proposals.

In particular, BASC welcomes Labour’s commitment to bear down on raptor persecution.

BASC also looks forward to discussing the detail on issues such as trophy hunting, the intensive rearing of game birds, gun dog sales and electronic training collars to ensure unintended consequences that could damage animal welfare and the contribution of shooting are avoided.

Christopher Graffius, BASC’s acting chief executive, said: “It’s worth noting that this announcement is not a final policy and that Labour recognises the importance of consulting on its proposals to avoid unintended consequences.

“BASC is particularly interested in working with Labour on the detail of policies on shooting trophies, game rearing and gundogs to ensure that any final policy is evidence-based and fit for purpose.”

Ian Grindy, chair of BASC’s game and gamekeeping committee, said: “It’s encouraging to see that Labour has listened to BASC’s representations on the importance of sustainable shooting and that the party is committed to tackling criminality and promoting animal welfare.

“There is a job of work to be done on the detail and BASC looks forward to working with Sue Hayman and her team to achieve positive policies for welfare and shooting.”

http://action.labour.org.uk/page/s/animal-welfare-consultation

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

What changes did Labour make to their wish list as a direct result of input from BASC?  Mr Grindy suggests they listened but there's a world of difference between listening and actually taking comments on board when making policy.

Were BASC specifically asked to respond to the consultation or did they just jump into the fray as any organisation/member of the public can?

Thanks.

This subject is being visited by all sides of government to formulate their policies ready to draft and enact post Brexit legislation.

It is imperative that our representative bodies engage fully with these processes so that our stance is taken into account. Every other pressure group will be putting their view forward, we must do the same.

As an example the CA is currently promoting this http://www.countryside-alliance.org/wildlife-law/

We must ensure our views are heard otherwise the RSPB, RSPCA, Chris Packham and every other fringe pressure group will have it their own way.

BASC is an all party organisation and we should, and do, welcome statements from any party which support shooting.

It is right we work with Labour to help bring them to the point where their potential policies do no damage to shooting.

The consultation has only opened today and we have not formulated our full response.

As our press release says: “BASC has welcomed the Labour Party’s commitment to “promote high standards with regards to game shoots, tackle criminality, and promote sustainability” contained within their animal welfare consultation launched today.”

3 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Glad you welcomed it - I certainly didn't!

Agree entirely. Hopefully Labour will sink in to obscurity and never regain power. So, why the hell are BASC aligning themselves to these losers?

There end game is to ban or severely restrict shooting as we know it.

Edited by Whitebridges

BASC are being seriously shortsighted on this in my opinion, as a representative body for shooting I'm surprised that they have "welcomed" a proposal that includes " Ban intensive rearing of game birds for shooting."

I think we all know their stance on Grouse Moor management and indeed Grouse shooting, the recent events concerning Ilkley Moor have shown that.

BASC appears to be almost deliberately missing the point that this plan amonst other things seeks to further enhance and strengthen the Hunting Bill, the end game to eradicate riding to hounds, but when they've done that who do they think will be next? 

The document is laid out with images of people in red coats riding with packs of houds, so as to be very clear as to their intentions. Paradoxically it also portrays under Domestic Pets a masthead image of brachycephalic dogs, breeds currently being campaigned against by vets, which is an interesting slip up.

Anyone engaged in ANY country sport needs to be aware of the looming threat, and regardless of whether you take part in any of the other sports, stand shoulder to shoulder, or they'll pick us off a bit at a time. 

1 hour ago, AndyS said:

BASC are being seriously shortsighted on this in my opinion, as a representative body for shooting I'm surprised that they have "welcomed" a proposal that includes " Ban intensive rearing of game birds for shooting."

I think we all know their stance on Grouse Moor management and indeed Grouse shooting, the recent events concerning Ilkley Moor have shown that.

BASC appears to be almost deliberately missing the point that this plan amonst other things seeks to further enhance and strengthen the Hunting Bill, the end game to eradicate riding to hounds, but when they've done that who do they think will be next? 

The document is laid out with images of people in red coats riding with packs of houds, so as to be very clear as to their intentions. Paradoxically it also portrays under Domestic Pets a masthead image of brachycephalic dogs, breeds currently being campaigned against by vets, which is an interesting slip up.

Anyone engaged in ANY country sport needs to be aware of the looming threat, and regardless of whether you take part in any of the other sports, stand shoulder to shoulder, or they'll pick us off a bit at a time. 

well said as a great supporter of basc i feel this could be wrong move supporting this 

BASC is a non political shooting association, if they were political I wouldn't be a member of that organisation. 

Being non political doesn't mean they shouldn't engage in political consultation, this being a consultation on issues with implications for it's members. They're acting with the express view of representing the interests of their members, like me. 

The genie's out and on the loose, all this populist **** won't be stuffed back into the bottle, too late for that. The UK is about to see some real radical change especially in the countryside, where the new up and coming reality will settle is uncertain, much taken for granted under the status quo will be gone forever in new Britain. If we want a say in what's thrown out and whats kept, one has to engage, to not engage is to burry ones head in the sand and be thrown out with the bath water.  

4 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

All I can say is thank God some posters aren't negotiating with political parties or government on my behalf. 

Sticking two fingers up at any political party and refusing to talk and set out ones wishes and hopes for the future is a very shortsighted and, may I say, ignorant view.

I agree in spirit.  However, ignoring reasoned debate and plumping for direct action hasn't done the hardcore anti's any harm has it?

Talking only works if both sides are willing to genuinely listen and are open to new points of view.

Believe what you will from any of them, get used to these statements.

Not a priority at the moment

We don't have enough funds to tackle this at the present time

As a wildfowler I hope BASC are more help to game shooting than they are to wildfowling at the present time.

23 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Most people (voters) in the UK are reasonable and usually want whats best, most dont like threatening direct action, and will only be persuaded by reasoned debate. if shooting is to survive it will need to present its case without confrontation or lies

A good protest can help bring rural issues into the public eye though.  Direct action doesn't have to mean the type of violent stuff that the hard left get involved in, thats their level and we need to be way above that.

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

In the off topic section there is a thread saying Labour are talking about banning the rearing of game birds.

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/forum/2-off-topic/ 

How does this sit with BASC, does it not seem contradictory.

Think this is the same topic in effect. And Labour arent just saying stop resring, they are saying stop any form of fox hunt that ends with a dead fox (loop holes in the laws) and end the badger culls. It is a way of gaining yet more votes, they've targeted students, now the animal rights groups are getting their dose of corbyn. 

1 hour ago, CharlieT said:

All I can say is thank God some posters aren't negotiating with political parties or government on my behalf. 

Sticking two fingers up at any political party and refusing to talk and set out ones wishes and hopes for the future is a very shortsighted and, may I say, ignorant view.

well, I feel we get what we deserve. there are times to stand your ground and argue your point.
I was a member of The British Field Sports Society when the ban on hunting with dogs was first muted, their position was firm and strong, I don't and have never hunted, love to see them off, wonderfull  sight and sounds,  but firmly believe in the freedom of choice for those that wish to, booked my place on the coach to London for the march in the belief the march was all about the support of hunting and opposition to a 'hunting ban'
then we got the countryside alliance taking over control (don't care why, logistic's or whatever reason, does not matter) they totally diluted the original purpose of the march, hunting, by fetching other rural issues into the frame, bus timetables ect, but  included them into the purpose of the march, hence the all important coverage of the march in the media was conveniantly for Blair all about rural issues, not totaly focused support for hunting, we, who were there know the march was in support for hunting, as was the one at Newcastle, I couldn't do the others
it was always going to be a hard one to win but I feel the CA lost the plot and the ban was the result, the CA no longer has my support, it seems to have no backbone
I feel the BASC is going down the same path, it seems to me to be making consessions before any debate, lead ban as an example, allowing rules, laws, legislation through with no real opposition, courses for this, courses for that, soon they will be compulsory, they should be by personal choice, stand your ground, thats what the membership pays for, support, don't make consessions, make them work for it, argue
dinners ready

1 hour ago, itchy trigger said:

well, I feel we get what we deserve. there are times to stand your ground and argue your point.
I was a member of The British Field Sports Society when the ban on hunting with dogs was first muted, their position was firm and strong, I don't and have never hunted, love to see them off, wonderfull  sight and sounds,  but firmly believe in the freedom of choice for those that wish to, booked my place on the coach to London for the march in the belief the march was all about the support of hunting and opposition to a 'hunting ban'
then we got the countryside alliance taking over control (don't care why, logistic's or whatever reason, does not matter) they totally diluted the original purpose of the march, hunting, by fetching other rural issues into the frame, bus timetables ect, but  included them into the purpose of the march, hence the all important coverage of the march in the media was conveniantly for Blair all about rural issues, not totaly focused support for hunting, we, who were there know the march was in support for hunting, as was the one at Newcastle, I couldn't do the others
it was always going to be a hard one to win but I feel the CA lost the plot and the ban was the result, the CA no longer has my support, it seems to have no backbone
I feel the BASC is going down the same path, it seems to me to be making consessions before any debate, lead ban as an example, allowing rules, laws, legislation through with no real opposition, courses for this, courses for that, soon they will be compulsory, they should be by personal choice, stand your ground, thats what the membership pays for, support, don't make consessions, make them work for it, argue
dinners ready

Agreed, 100%........ (apart from the fact that ive had my dinner)