BASC urges members to respond to Labour consultation

David BASC

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have difficuly in responding to this consultation, whilst l realise Corbyn and his mob would gladly ban fieldsports l cannot support trophy hunting (the recent tv programme showed how bad it was), l can see no place for the legitimate use of electric collars, they are just plain cruel.

Maybe the regulation of the rearing and release of gamebirds would be a goid thing. It may help stop huge commercial shoots with bags into the 1000s of birds and reduce the  dumping of shot game which in any sane world is indefensible.

Perhaps l should just ignore the BASC request this time.

Edited by grahamch

17 hours ago, Dougy said:

Unfortunately i find it very very hard to be able to buy into anything that the governments promise to do other than look after their own. 

download.jpg.9f432641319be9575cb74acfbb0ffa7b.jpg

I agree, but that doesn't mean we just roll over and die.

BASC, CA, Uncle Tom Cobley, whoever are trying to do something, its better than just giving up!

11 hours ago, grahamch said:

I'll have difficuly in responding to this consultation, whilst l realise Corbyn and his mob would gladly ban fieldsports l cannot support trophy hunting (the recent tv programme showed how bad it was), l can see no place for the legitimate use of electric collars, they are just plain cruel.

Maybe the regulation of the rearing and release of gamebirds would be a goid thing. It may help stop huge commercial shoots with bags into the 1000s of birds and reduce the  dumping of shot game which in any sane world is indefensible.

I wouldn't be so laid back about some of these proposals. Trophy hunting could mean UK Deer Medal heads......not my cup of tea but a big issue for a lot of UK based stalkers. The ban on INTENSIVE (need to understand their definition of this) game bird rearing would also hit all the small syndicates and farm shoots who just put down 500 or 1.000 birds a season. I'm with you on the big bags on commercial shoots but a complete ban would hit all shoots. Perhaps a legal bag limit ought to be introduced of say no more than 150 birds per day.

11 hours ago, grahamch said:

I think that e collars have their place in dog training. Cruel? Why?

Yeah, lets also seriously curtail the rearing of game birds. Then we should set a limit on the amount of days we can go wildfowling and pigeon shooting. Maybe no shooting on Sundays?

Where would you like the restrictions to end?

By all means hold negotiations with people who are willing to hear both sides of the argument,but after listening to some of the Labour party front benchers attempting to shout down anyone who disagrees with them I fear that any talks you have with them would be futile.But we must stand strong and fight any threat to our wonderful way of life both BASC and the CA must discuss tactics to overthrow this threat.

22 hours ago, CharlieT said:

All I can say is thank God some posters aren't negotiating with political parties or government on my behalf. 

Sticking two fingers up at any political party and refusing to talk and set out ones wishes and hopes for the future is a very shortsighted and, may I say, ignorant view.

Yes I agree talk to them , but for BASC to say they welcome anyone to ban shooting  is just rolling over

3 hours ago, David BASC said:

Clarify please where BASC has welcomed a ban on shooting on this thread? Of course BASC has not done that! Please read my original post carefully, thank you

A lot of posters on this thread have missed your point, and they've missed it because you put it like a politician. That's causing people to associate you (BASC) with politicians, giving the impression that you're sleeping with the enemy.

Some straight talking might be useful to save the day.

Guest topshot_2k
5 hours ago, squirrelhall said:

Yes I agree talk to them , but for BASC to say they welcome anyone to ban shooting  is just rolling over

Did you even read the post?

"BASC has welcomed the Labour Party’s commitment to “promote high standards with regards to game shoots, tackle criminality, and promote sustainability” contained within their animal welfare consultation"

How does that even remotely mean they welcome a blanket ban? I'd never vote for or support Labour but I think its time these big commercial shoots sort their act out. Putting on big number days for the corporate/city lot doesn't sit well with me and isn't helping our cause. One positive is that Labour are highly unlikely to get elected anytime soon.

Edited by topshot_2k

11 hours ago, motty said:

I think that e collars have their place in dog training. Cruel? Why?

Yeah, lets also seriously curtail the rearing of game birds. Then we should set a limit on the amount of days we can go wildfowling and pigeon shooting. Maybe no shooting on Sundays?

Where would you like the restrictions to end?

I tend to agree with this. Mates dog has an e collar, but thats' only cos he cant get a saddle on it! 

Regarding the effectiveness of associations; I am on the CA's mailing list and therefore have developed a very positive feeling about the organisation. 

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

I tend to agree with this. Mates dog has an e collar, but thats' only cos he cant get a saddle on it! 

Regarding the effectiveness of associations; I am on the CA's mailing list and therefore have developed a very positive feeling about the organisation. 

Me too, very impressive set up at the CA.

I think BASC's press release could have been worded a little better, with more caution implied than enthusiasm. 

I love hunting with hounds and I am seriously concerned that Corbyn would do as he says and remove any 'loopholes' which currently allows some form of hunting with hounds to continue. The Scots have it better in this regard, with the use of hounds to flush to guns etc. but Sturgeon, another raving leftist, is about to attempt to stop hunting completely by eliminating all of these perceived loopholes. 

As for banning intensive game rearing, well it all depends on definition. We could be left with hatching a few eggs under bantams.

We could soon be in a situation similar to the near continent, with no rearing allowed and a very restricted quarry list. All it would take is a very left wing Labour government, which is a distinct possibility, especially since the Conservatives are totally distracted by sorting out Brexit and paying less attention than they should to actually running this country efficiently. 

Edited by scolopax

14 hours ago, topshot_2k said:

"BASC has welcomed the Labour Party’s commitment to “promote high standards with regards to game shoots, tackle criminality, and promote sustainability” contained within their animal welfare consultation"

How does that even remotely mean they welcome a blanket ban? I'd never vote for or support Labour but I think its time these big commercial shoots sort their act out. Putting on big number days for the corporate/city lot doesn't sit well with me and isn't helping our cause. One positive is that Labour are highly unlikely to get elected anytime soon.

i read it to say labour are going to ban intensive game rearing. If this is so how does that not impact on shooting. How is what you highlight above not already covered.

15 hours ago, topshot_2k said:

19 hours ago, David BASC said:

Clarify please where BASC has welcomed a ban on shooting on this thread? Of course BASC has not done that! Please read my original post carefully, thank you

The press release I read was on BBC Scotland news headlines on line I Think it was wednesday said they are going to ban intensive game rearing  along with stopping the badger cull and several other things. Sorry if this is a different release to the one you refer to. But a much more serious one in my opinion

This press release from the Countryside Alliance takes a somewhat stronger stance........................

Countryside Alliance Chief Executive Tim Bonner writes:

Yesterday the Labour Party launched a consultation on an ‘Animal Welfare Plan’ which says that it will “make sure that the UK has equal and better animal rights across the world (sic)”. This conflation of animal welfare and animal rights is backed up by a list of proposed policies which lurch from the sensible, to the populist, to the prejudiced.

In the end what shines through is not a coherent approach to improving the welfare of animals, although some of the proposals might achieve that, but a dog whistle appeal to the metropolitan Labour base. In particular Labour’s focus on wildlife and the countryside remains firmly motivated by partisan politics, rather than in supporting farming and rural communities, or addressing real animal welfare issues.

The politics of this approach, as well as some of the policies themselves, are deeply questionable as some Labour MPs understand. After the 2015 General Election then Shadow Defra Secretary Maria Eagle commissioned a report entitled ‘Labour’s Rural problem’ which found that “the perception problems are huge – not just rural voters’ perception of Labour, but more crucially Labour’s perception of rural voters”. In the 2017 election Labour again performed worse in rural seats than it did in urban ones yet it seems set on an agenda which is almost designed to alienate many rural people.

Of course there is the obligatory attack on hunting. Despite the Hunting Act being such an achievement of which the Labour Party is so proud it apparently needs to waste even more parliamentary time on radical surgery. ‘Loopholes’ need to be closed and the Act needs to be ‘strengthened’. Meanwhile, there is also a direct attack on shooting with a pledge to ban “the intensive rearing of gamebirds for shooting”. What this means is anyone’s guess, but given that game rearing is already regulated through the Animal Welfare Act 2006 it must signal significant restrictions which would have a direct impact on all of us who shoot reared game.

As important as what is in the ‘plan’, however, is what is not in it. It reveals a set of priorities that are at odds with most people in rural areas not just because of attacks on hunting and shooting, but because it absolutely ignores most of the pressing animal welfare issues that are important to people in the countryside and beyond. There is not a single mention in the ‘plan’ of the epidemic of sheep worrying by domestic dogs, the widespread problems of poaching and associated criminality, the impact of sky lanterns on domestic and wild animals, or the horrific cost to cattle, farmers and the taxpayer of bovine TB. Pledging to “end the badger cull” is one thing, but doing so without even acknowledging that bTB exists is another entirely.

We will, of course, respond to the consultation and hope that it will be open and engage with a much wider set of views. It is, however, a great shame both for the countryside and the Labour Party that it has started from here.

Tim Bonner
Chief Executive

29 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

IMO the CA press release blows the BASC one out of the water! The BASC gives me the impression that they are almost getting into bed with Labour!

I'm not being biased as i am with the BASC (at the moment!!!)

Totally agree. This is exactly the sort of thing members should expect from their organisation. Basc should take note!!!

Edited by motty