Wildfowling Coat - any new ones to buy?

Richie10

In the market for a new coat for next season as the last one has died and fed up of going out in it, got last few days to go...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Might have to go back to the layering, but prefer a big coat. Something tough and not for sitting round a pond but on the foreshore/saltings.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by Richie10

1 hour ago, Reabrook said:

Another advocate for layering. Especially if I’ve any distance to walk. I recently bought a Ridgeline Mallard. Extremely lightweight but so far it’s impressed me with its resistance to the weather

I have a Ridgeline Mallard. Good, but certainly not waterproof.

I can recommend a Buffalo Jacket as part of your layering under a army goretex outer, the buffalo is very warm, windproof and reasonably water proof, but also very light. I wear mine over a thermal vest and it allows plenty of movement, its made from pertex with a pile lining and has excellent wicking properties, used under a single layer goretex its waterproof, or can be worn alone, mines the belay jacket with a full zip and detachable hood 

1 hour ago, motty said:

I have a Ridgeline Mallard. Good, but certainly not waterproof.

I’ve only worn mine a dozen times so not exactly tested it in full. However one night last week was about as wet a night as I’d like to be out in and it stood upto that. It’s certainly wind proof.

No different really to other brands. My lad bought an expensive Nomad smock which he found brilliant. I bought one and it leaked like sieve!

49 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Agree with layering and the Ridgeline Monsoon smock cannot be beaten for wildfowling as a top layer. Just sweat a bit walking but absolutely wind and waterproof. Good value too.

Yes very good for standing still, absolutely superb when teamed with the same firms trousers.

just bought a Cabelas 4 in 1 coat from tidepool at the shooting show, looks good! has a big fleece underlayer that can be zipped out easy and the outer shell has a coating that repels the water, not sure how long that will last but has me fooled! look forward to getting some fowling done in it. got it for £165

On 15/02/2018 at 14:12, fse10 said:

Have a pro logic max5 thermo armour jacket with removable fleece used it up on the Solway in some cold wet weather so far so good.

I have the pro logic 4. 6th season ending tomorrow. Maybe the jacket is a tad heavy but I were only the thermal layer underneath. I also used it on walked up shooting on last day of season and stood 3 hours straight of snow and sleet with very little sweating for theilage walked... If it decides to give in, I'll go for the 5. Also intrigued by the Cabela's, read plenty prizes for their stuff but why changing when you know something works?!

Cheers

Love the Kentdale parka from Rivers West, and have two of them.

Had on test a Browning Grand Passage parka - a superb wildfowling coat waterproof and windproof and does not take on gallons of water and therefore weight when wet. Plenty of pockets. Rubberised cuffs, although the rubber has started to peel off in its second year, which is largely cosmetic anyway. Everything you need in a wildfowling coat - my favourite coat ever so far.

All these American coats seem to suffer from a poor zip. Plastic zips may be fine on the North American prairies, but will eventually fail for foreshore work. Had both my Kentdale parka zips changed for 2-way metal zips via the local dry cleaners for £20.00 each. Grand Passage zip still holding up well, but need to give it a spray up every few trips for smooth functioning.

Don't know what the Grand Passage costs as I didn't have to pay for it!

Alan

On 14/02/2018 at 16:29, Richie10 said:

In the market for a new coat for next season as the last one has died and fed up of going out in it, got last few days to go...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Might have to go back to the layering, but prefer a big coat. Something tough and not for sitting round a pond but on the foreshore/saltings.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'll show you something that might be of interest on Saturday.

7 hours ago, Ajarrett said:

Love the Kentdale parka from Rivers West, and have two of them.

Had on test a Browning Grand Passage parka - a superb wildfowling coat waterproof and windproof and does not take on gallons of water and therefore weight when wet. Plenty of pockets. Rubberised cuffs, although the rubber has started to peel off in its second year, which is largely cosmetic anyway. Everything you need in a wildfowling coat - my favourite coat ever so far.

All these American coats seem to suffer from a poor zip. Plastic zips may be fine on the North American prairies, but will eventually fail for foreshore work. Had both my Kentdale parka zips changed for 2-way metal zips via the local dry cleaners for £20.00 each. Grand Passage zip still holding up well, but need to give it a spray up every few trips for smooth functioning.

Don't know what the Grand Passage costs as I didn't have to pay for it!

Alan

I wore a  Rivers West Eider for several years. That was a jacket that seriously divided opinion. Mine was amazingly waterproof but others had no end of trouble with the seams etc. Funnily enough the zip was my only complaint on that Jacket.