Wildfowling Coat - any new ones to buy?

Richie10

2 hours ago, Ajarrett said:

I've an Eider too, and no complaints with it. Short jacket really made for chest waders - waders as the Amercians call them

Alan

i wouldn't expect you to knock Rivers West gear :hmm:http://www.riverswest.co.uk/uk-pro-team.html

i had the one of these http://www.riverswest.co.uk/uk-jarret-wildfowler.html and found it a total waste of money,not waterproof,**** zips and sweat my nuts off,

Edited by andrewluke

i have 2 riverswest jackets  the eider and a bit lighter one which i have forgotten the name off.  both not waterproof ,light shower ok . wind and rain and it goes straight through ,and the zips are a nightmare.

best bit of kit i have is a cheap gortex jacket with plenty of pockets and layer up underneath as required .

I have had loads of Wildfowling jacket, by far the best jacket has been an onyx arctic shield jacket. Onyx mostly make snowmobile jackets so you know their gear is well made, plus the come up in summer at mental cheap prices. 

I like layering, I usually buy a good hayloft or similar primaloft insulation jacket for social wear, when it’s abit worn it gets promoted to my Wildfowling mid layer ? 

https://www.snareshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AS533000

2 hours ago, IEH said:

I frequently use a cheap Flexothane coat worn over warm layers.  It has kept me largely dry, even during torrential rain,  is dead easy to clean when clarted in mud and has lasted me a few seasons now.  Not fashionable but very functional!

I use the trousers, cut off just below the knee when wearing thigh boots; worn over the top.

So far I'm please with my Kobuk wading jacket.

22 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I use the trousers, cut off just below the knee when wearing thigh boots; worn over the top.

So far I'm please with my Kobuk wading jacket.

Thats exactly what i do, (chest high). Are you not using your Longshoreman ?  I feel obliged to say that I sold mine on E bay for £275 and bought a Fjallraven smock, its much more supple and light and you just rub more wax into it if you need extra waterproof.  they are very well made, with the pocket at a convenient height to leave your hand in and rest your gun when your waiting for a flight...

4 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Thats exactly what i do, (chest high). Are you not using your Longshoreman ?  I feel obliged to say that I sold mine on E bay for £275 and bought a Fjallraven smock, its much more supple and light and you just rub more wax into it if you need extra waterproof.  they are very well made, with the pocket at a convenient height to leave your hand in and rest your gun when your waiting for a flight...

It still gets an airing. The Kobuk was a chrissy pressie. Being neoprene, it's easy to hose down after I have been playing Hippo.

You sold yours cheap! I looked on ebay the other day and some are up for £600 :oops:.

1 minute ago, Penelope said:

It still gets an airing. The Kobuk was a chrissy pressie. Being neoprene, it's easy to hose down after I have been playing Hippo.

You sold yours cheap! I looked on ebay the other day and some are up for £600 :oops:.

I kept tabs on the Barbours on ebay and the ones for silly money never sold, i was very happy to get the £275 which showed a profit of a £185 (thanks for the tip off..:yes:) I was always struggling with such an expensive coat only worn to go fowling, usually after dark, and got very precious anywhere near a barbed wire fence..;). The Fjallraven's are just as expensive but i get a lot more use out of it. walking and rabbitting etc,  

I bought a Country Covers Falklands jacket 10 years ago at a game show... (company is now call Fortis after the father running the company unfortunately passed away)

Its a 3 in 1 jacket having a zip in/out liner that can be worn on its own.

It wasn't cheap but when told it had a 4 year warranty i made some disparaging remark about if it got ripped on barbed wire, and the dad said "if in first 4 years, bring it back, we will repair or replace under the warranty"!

Its not yet let me down, I have not had to claim under the warranty, its still going strong, doing its job and I have bought a lighter weight jacket last year for earlier season fowling and beating.... from them !

Speaking to one of their guys at the shooting show, he made a comment that their biggest problem was the jackets lasting too long so people didnt have to replace them often enough to generate business!   and the kits made in England

(My OH bought a skirt off them and the price to adjust it after she lost a shed load of weight was very reasonable even though it really meant remaking it)

• 4 months later...