Alexa

Winston72

I don't have one, because I think they are the most hideous invasion of privacy, but the Philips Hue lighting system is an ace gadget to work with.

I have some Hue lights in my office/gin bothy that I can control with Siri and to my easily pleased mind they are fantastic.

Especially after indulging in said gin when the office work is done ?

It is always listening and the content of what it is listening to is stored.

Not so long ago there was a warrant served against Amazon for retrieval of records in a murder trial where it was believed that Alexa was a witness to the murder.

If you consider the amount of tracking that goes on when you browse the web, the things you look at, the path that you took to get there, how many times you look, etc and all that data is stored to create a digital profile of you.

Add the ever listening Alexa into that mix, when you ask your other half "what do you fancy for tea?" Or "what do you think about Boris Johnsons speech", etc

I know it sounds paranoid, but I shall paste a link in a couple of minutes (when I find it) about social value scoring in China and then join the dots of just what Big Data means and how Alexa, Google, Cortana, Siri can contribute.

Edit to add: Here is the link, it is a longish read and not directly related, but consider the wider elements of data surveillance or social profiling through data acquisition.

it's a great discussion really.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/chinese-government-social-credit-score-privacy-invasion

Edited by grrclark

Funny thing on the radio the other day,A recording of an old Glaswegion man asming Alexa to play a sertain song.Alexa couldnt understand his broad accent and kept playing something else.The old guy krpt getting more and more frustrsited.He finally said "Alexa,please ime begging you,PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE play ????? By ?????.Alexa replied "thats PEA's succesfully addec to your shopping list.

Edited by Davyo

Only half listening to the radio yesterday I’m sure one ordered somebody dog food having heard the Alexa advert on the tv. I’ve had a play with one but it’s not for me. I’ve got a step daughter with a phone glued to her face half the time which is nearly the same - doesn’t listen properly, plays music loudly and puts random things in your Amazon basket ?

I know people with one-  once the novelty of asking questions wears off (very quickly!) I think the primary use is for playing music via Spotify. I've got no interest in getting this sort of device but I can see the appeal in this respect. A big potential benefit is to people of limited mobility as it offers music, news updates and weather etc.

With regard to music however, I've seen the wifi die and with it the music. No CD or record player in the house so that was that, lesson there is not to rely on them completely!

my wife got me one for xmas....well she didnt really she got herself one and said it was my present even though i said i never wanted one.

I find it pretty useless to be honest and very infuriating. I know you can use it for lots of different things but by time i have said the thing i want it to do 55times before it understands correctly i just use my phone which is always in my pocket.

My son received one of these gadgets for Xmas, set it up, asked it what the weather was doing, the time, put the radio on for 10 minutes, switched it off,
put it back in the box and nobody has seen it since.
IMHO one of the most useless gadgets I have ever witnessed.

Must say though, the radio sounded quite well through it.
:no::no::no:

Edited by das

I didn’t think the forum was full of technophobes, I’m sorry to hear all these negative responses. I think the concept is excellent and whilst many people will slag it off, this is the way of the future. 

In it’s simplest form it’s very good, but it’s potential is endless. 

Like everything in life it has its downsides and pitfalls, but this really is the tip of the iceberg. 

If you don’t like technology then that’s fine, but this is how life is going whether you like it or not. 

Edited by Cosd

Not quite Alexa but we were at Sunday lunch at a friends house when a question was raised about something or other and nobody knew the answer. I'll solve that said their son-in-law and at the dinner table started to shout the question into his state of the art iPhone. The absence of a response caused him to become quite animated in his questioning of the 'phone. This continued for some time without success which he attributed lack of clarity for the 'phone due to background noise and chatter

Outwith what I thought was an action not for the lunch gathering (despite best intentions) the sight of a someone shouting instructions at an inanimate object was to my mind quite stupid. If this is the way forward then the thought of many like minded people in a confined space /room/ restaurant / all simultaneously shouting different instructions into their 'phones is mind boggling. Time for this technophobe to retreat to a monestry.

We’ve got one, I told her not to buy it as it wouldn’t get used and is a waste of money. 

She bought one, I’ve not seen her use it for months, when I raise this point she tells me used apparently used it all the time lol. 

We at at least bought it on amazon prime day so it was half price or something like that! 

We’ve got one, I told her not to buy it as it wouldn’t get used and is a waste of money. 

She bought one, I’ve not seen her use it for months, when I raise this point she tells me used apparently used it all the time lol. 

We at at least bought it on amazon prime day so it was half price or something like that!