winchester sx4

hankook1

just ordered my new Winchester sx4 3.5" chamber composite matt black with a 30" barrel will be trying it out sat roost shooting seem to be a lot of gun for £674.00 as i thought the only changes were purely ergonomics but it seems they have upgraded the active valve system as well by fitting a brass ring as apposed to the plastic one on the sx3 to give it better longevity guess time will tell !!

figgy the dealer has just called me and said there suppliers have a stock error and actually don't have any left and will need to order it from browning and will be end of march but will still let me have it for the same price as there are going up so its either wait six weeks or they have a sx3 for £55.00 more (not sure what to do :/)

ye i was originally after a sx3 anyway only went for the sx4 cos  they were doing them cheaper than the sx3 and its basically the same gun, once all the sx3 s have gone i think the price of the sx4 will go up anyway just like they done with the franchi affinity. either way im happy to go for the sx3 almost 10 year production run must say something for it .

On 15/02/2018 at 20:04, hankook1 said:

ye i was originally after a sx3 anyway only went for the sx4 cos  they were doing them cheaper than the sx3 and its basically the same gun, once all the sx3 s have gone i think the price of the sx4 will go up anyway just like they done with the franchi affinity. either way im happy to go for the sx3 almost 10 year production run must say something for it .

Have an sx3 and have no need to go to a 4, absolutely love it as a s/a. 

Congratulations on the new gun. 

Just a quick question, did you handle a 30” barrel before ordering? 

Being a semi auto that will be the equivalent of 32” barrels on an  O/U, a very long gun if your using mainly on pigeons. 

Cos

Hello cosd,

I've gone for a new sx3 instead with the 28" barrel as they made a mistake with the stock levels of sx4s and i  didn't think the 6 week wait was worth it think I've made the right decision as the sx3 is a well proven gun and your right  with barrel length think 28" would suit me better  as they say you can always add a 2" extended choke if needed its a bit more difficult to reduce the length !! 

9 minutes ago, hankook1 said:

Hello cosd,

I've gone for a new sx3 instead with the 28" barrel as they made a mistake with the stock levels of sx4s and i  didn't think the 6 week wait was worth it think I've made the right decision as the sx3 is a well proven gun and your right  with barrel length think 28" would suit me better  as they say you can always add a 2" extended choke if needed its a bit more difficult to reduce the length !! 

A much better length gun me thinks that would also appeal to more people on resale. 

Congratulations again, the SX3 is as you said a well proven gun. 

I used a friends a few years back at a clay ground and liked it a lot. 

Cos 

I have an sx4 in camo with a 28 inch barrel, its a great gun, handles slightly different to the sx3 that I have also tried. Its a bit more front heavy and being an over and under man I prefer the new forward balance point. I also prefer the slimmer handle as i dont really like big bulky handles so you can really get your fingers round it. 

It has the same internals pretty much as the sx3.

I have this paired with a petternmaster code black goose choke (as its my fowling gun) which brings the barrel out to 29.5 inches, and I prefer that too, so maybe a 30 inch barrel would have been better for me.

Only thing is I have only had it a few months and already seen the paint start to go on it. So you may be onto a winner with the black, as long as it doesn't rust too bad.

• 2 years later...