Chinese engine cranes

ferguson_tom

Has anyone purchased one of the presumably far-eastern engine cranes from ebay? I notice there is a 2ton one for around £130 delivered on ebay which would do everything i want it to but i am hesitant when you consider what they are doing and possible damage if they let go.

Alternatively does anyone have one knocking about the garage they no longer use.

Will that be one of those chinese ce marks written in with a crayon? It will do the job but if you are worried then can it be modified to lock off when a engine is in the air? On my old mans we stick balks of wood through the hinge as a if all else fails, they might hold but might just crush but they will give enough time to get out of the way if it fails.

I got a Clarke folding one which is made in China. It’s heavy and does the job but I’ve no way of knowing whether the load rating is accurate.

i wouldn’t be worried about a Chinese crane as long as it was a UK seller and youve got somewhere to get your money back. I remember sgs had good prices and I got one of their engine stands.

41 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Ebay is littered with models - which all appear to be the same - for less than £120 and the same as those costing double.

This is often the case with anything bought from china, all you can do is look and decide which size crane you want and buy it. If its incredibly badly put together complain. i did with a 20 ton pres and got another one out to me within 1 week, and they did not want the other back. i did some re welding on the original one and  i still have the pair of them.

I do not see the Chinese tools as all bad they are built to a price and quality control is some times a little lacking, but overall i think they are worth considering certainly for the hobby mechanic or machine shop. .

thanks for the advice everyone, think for the money they are worth a punt. My main use will be for building and loading my minature steam engine onto the trailer while its in lots of bits so no where near its rating capacity.

i noticed sealey have added a very similar almost identical crane to the ebay jobs to there range. I wouldnt be surprised if they are from the same place with different stickers.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 18:29, bornfree said:

Iam sure they will lift what they are rated at, they would not get a CE mark if they didn't. Just don't overload it.

As far as I recall, the CE mark does NOT mean that the product has been tested by any independent body, it is just a declaration issued by the manufacturer, claiming that the product complies with all relevant EU legislation.