Bathroom ceiling painting?

Salop Matt

Folks, We have just had a new bathroom fitted (shower with extraxtor fan not actually a bath) and we have a newly boarded and plastered ceiling.

Now I need to paint it........But:

1. Can I just put Dulux bathroom paint straight on or do I need to do a mist coat with plain white emulsion first ?

2. If I do need to do a mist coat what ratio of paint and water should I mix ? 

3. How long should I give the mist coat to dry?

4. How many coats of Dulux bathroom paint should I apply?

TIA 

Matt 

49 minutes ago, salop sniper said:

Folks, We have just had a new bathroom fitted (shower with extraxtor fan not actually a bath) and we have a newly boarded and plastered ceiling.

Now I need to paint it........But:

1. Can I just put Dulux bathroom paint straight on or do I need to do a mist coat with plain white emulsion first ?

2. If I do need to do a mist coat what ratio of paint and water should I mix ? 

3. How long should I give the mist coat to dry?

4. How many coats of Dulux bathroom paint should I apply?

TIA 

Matt 

IMO

1. If its new plaster i always use a mist coat, can use watered down bathroom paint, although i would use emulsion (cheaper and tends to water down and penetrate  better!)

2. 50/50

3. If in a rush touch dry, but i would leave it till next day.

4. At least 2 + mist. i would do 3.

We did the same to our bathroom a couple of years back - despite having an extractor fan that will rip your scalp off (inside the shower cubicle) we still get problems with mould in the winter so I would highly recommend an anti mould type paint - we have no issues during the summer months but have to run a  Dehumidifier for an hour after every shower in the colder months.

Even anti-mould paint can only do so much to combat black mould you get in bathrooms.

Extractor fans are good but need air coming in to be able to vent damp air outside, or they are no more than a very weak vacuum fan. Opening the bathroom window a little even in winter will stop most of the condensation.

I put a suspended cladded ceiling in about 10 inches below the original.Extractor in the cladding with the flexi hose exiting the outside wall.Did what i wanted with no interferance from the wife and shes not allowed in.Its my own space, shes got the other shower room.Now i can actually find my stuff where i left it.Love the cladding and it has the modern clean look & you just give it a wipe.

20171215_133457.jpg

052018142329.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Don’t use the pink to white indicator type paint......

you will  end up with a ceiling that has an interesting effect after every shower...

clearly it didn’t happen to me when I was too cheap to buy paint for a small shower room and though I would use up leftover from another room

?

Edited by happypig