22/250 ??

Been looking at a second hand near new CZ American in 22/250 nice order throughout and the rifling perfect i would only be shooting the odd fox Wanted to ask forum what they think of this foxing round i used to shoot 223 years back Heard good and bad opinions on the 22/250 any info would be helpful :good:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Been looking at a second hand near new CZ American in 22/250 nice order throughout and the rifling perfect i would only be shooting the odd fox Wanted to ask forum what they think of this foxing round i used to shoot 223 years back Heard good and bad opinions on the 22/250 any info would be helpful :good:

An excellent calibre for Fox, especially when using V max bullets. Quite a few calibre bullets have been known to 'shoot through a fox'.It's never too much of a gun in my opinion.

49 minutes ago, inthedark said:

It's too much gun for foxing, as it shoots through most of the time. Assuming you're shooting within responsible ranges, .223 is more than capable enough

what a load of utter ****! Too much gun as it shoots through? ********! 

I bet you won't hear many foxes complain they have been shot through. 

I have shot hundreds of foxes with .30-06 they were all shot through as well. oddly they were all dead which I assume is the aim? 

Edited by ClemFandango

13 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

what a load of utter ****! Too much gun as it shoots through? ********! 

I bet you won't hear many foxes complain they have been shot through. 

I have shot hundreds of foxes with .30-06 they were all shot through as well. oddly they were all dead which I assume is the aim? 

That's a bit harsh buddy.   If a bullet goes straight through a target it's still carrying the energy that should be dumped into the target to kill it, i.e. , too much gun.

Assuming you're a stalker (.30-06) and shoot the odd fox as it pops up, no big deal, as a good friend of mine says, there's only one degree of deadness

Just now, inthedark said:

That's a bit harsh buddy.   If a bullet goes straight through a target it's still carrying the energy that should be dumped into the target to kill it, i.e. , too much gun.

Assuming you're a stalker (.30-06) and shoot the odd fox as it pops up, no big deal, as a good friend of mine says, there's only one degree of deadness

I do a bit if stalking, I was a keeper for a couple of years and controlled foxes on a pig unit. I have shot hundreds of them, at the time I had .30-06 so I used that. 

I can't recall ever shooting one where the bullet didn't exit and they were all dead. 

The whole argument about bullets "dumping their energy" if they don't exit is a non starter for me. I also, now am lucky enough to shoot quite a few lowland reds, still with .30-06 and the bullet still exits and guess what they are still dead. 

You are right. Dead is dead is dead, hole in one side or hole in two. doesnt matter. 

17 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

I do a bit if stalking, I was a keeper for a couple of years and controlled foxes on a pig unit. I have shot hundreds of them, at the time I had .30-06 so I used that. 

I can't recall ever shooting one where the bullet didn't exit and they were all dead. 

The whole argument about bullets "dumping their energy" if they don't exit is a non starter for me. I also, now am lucky enough to shoot quite a few lowland reds, still with .30-06 and the bullet still exits and guess what they are still dead. 

You are right. Dead is dead is dead, hole in one side or hole in two. doesnt matter. 

Let me just clear something up here. The OP asked for opinions on the .22/250 as a foxing round. I've owned one and used it against fox, and I've given my opinion on it which he can consider or not as he sees fit.

He hasn't asked for your opinion of my opinion, and if you want to shoot them with a artillery piece, knock yourself out, it matters not to either me or the spirit of the thread.

The only bullet I ever used that didn't exit on a broadside fox was a Hornady SX 70g in a 6PPC.

Which was desirable as the pelts were being sold.

As far as I can remember the 22/250 would exit except on facing shots.

But in answer to your question the 22/250 is a superb 1/2 MOA fox calibre.

Edited by Robertt

So if a 22250 is too much gun. Then why are so many people using light weight 243's. I use the hornady 55grn vmax in 22250 as does a mate. An excellent fast expanding round. The soft point type rounds may punch through more but still killing the fox along it's journey. 

If the guns accurate then buy it. it' an excellent fox calibre, thousands of keepers can't be wrong.

Edited by haynes

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Yep, 22-250 is certainly a fine foxing round, as is the 223, 222 and a whole load of other calibres and will get the job done. I would guess 223 and 22-250 Being the most popular choice of fox dispatcher, but have never understood under what circumstanes one will kill a fox and the other wouldn't? I use 223, 204 or 243 for fox depending how i feel when i open the cabinet which one i take and can honestly say i've never been on a fox and wished I'd picked one of the others because this one ain' up to it! 

If YOU want a 22-250 then go for it, learn how it shoots and enjoy. 

Oh yeah, assume every bullet you fire regardless of calibre will pass through your target, if it doesn't but kills the fox, great, if it does pass through and kills the fox, great job done. 

1 hour ago, inthedark said:

I am also of the opinion that it is not too much gun. When I used one, a big 6" exit wound would show that plenty of energy was "put into" the fox.

2 hours ago, inthedark said:

Let me just clear something up here. The OP asked for opinions on the .22/250 as a foxing round. I've owned one and used it against fox, and I've given my opinion on it which he can consider or not as he sees fit.

He hasn't asked for your opinion of my opinion, and if you want to shoot them with a artillery piece, knock yourself out, it matters not to either me or the spirit of the thread.

thanks for clearing that up. I don't really care. 

The first line of your answer was totally factually inaccurate. .22/250 is NOT too much gun and on that basis he should not be dissuaded from purchasing one.  

1 minute ago, ClemFandango said:

thanks for clearing that up. I don't really care. 

The first line of your answer was totally factually inaccurate. .22/250 is NOT too much gun and on that basis he should not be dissuaded from purchasing one.  

Like I said, that's my opinion and as such it's accurate. If you've ever owned a .22/250, give the OP your opinion on it as a foxing rifle, if you haven't, you're not really qualified to be posting on this thread

I was using mine last night to very good effect, Yes it does pass through but it's normally a 6 inch hole on the exit side, but i would sooner see that, than having one run off wounded for not using "enough gun"

I was out one night with my .17HMr on Rabbits and Mr Fox popped up he was only about 80 yards drilled him with an engine room shot and he ran off into the woods, i found him after about 15 mins, but i've never had that happen with the 22.250. ihave used my .243 in the past with 58grain Vmax again they don't run but they are very messy to pick up afterwards.

Shoot what you think does the Job, i know quite a lot of Gamekeepers and most of them use .22.250 or .223 the .22.250 is excellent on a Drone pro 10 on the top if set up correctly you can shoot out to 285 yard with no hold over and that distance covers most work.

22.250 far too much gun for Fox. ? :lol:

22.250 passes straight through ?  :lol:

The 22.250 is a brilliant Varmint cartridge, that's what it was designed for, shooting Varmint and efficiently at that. 

Too much gun !!!!!! You sound like the local FEO (That's "firearms enquiry officer" )