22/250 ??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've commented before but I have .222 and .22/250 and to be honest there is ****** all between them if dead foxes are what your after. All the .22 calibres are good (including hornet if you pull back the range) so find one you like, .222, .223, .22/250 or hornet and go out and enjoy. :good:

On 2/20/2018 at 21:36, Gerry78 said:

s any one who shoots 222 id be interested hest from yas:good:

Hi Gerry,

I've had CZ 527 .222 for about 6 months had 6 fox for 6 shots, all down on the spot at ranges up to 245 yards.

Also had 3 squirrels (fed up of waiting for a fox) for three consecutive shots over 1/2 an hour period at ranges of 266, 261 and 257 yards using Hornady SP 50gr.

I can't ask for better than that to be honest.

As has been said previously just check ammo availability local to you, I personally have had no difficulty..

Edited by Good shot?
Tally corrected.

Guest cookoff013

if you ask your local RFD to get ammo in they should. i mean come on we are in the 21st century. its just 10 seconds admin time to actually order stuff. 

if they dont then you should be questioning yourself, WHY?

14 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Inthedark thanks for posting after I opened up that debate 22/250 ive had a look at at 3 diffrent cz rifles 222/223/22/250 I haven’t got a notion what i went lol the dealer swears by the 222 hes not trying hard sell as all the guns same price range and all good condition my mate has 223 you guessed it best fox round ever and a fella i work with shoots deer Southern Ireland he shoots 308 and 22/250 for vermin he thinks 22/250 dogs nuts So i think forum opinions and people i know in life im gona just havta pick a calibre myself Doin a bit of research on internet i think im leaning towards 222 :rolleyes:to be honest if im shooting 5-10 foxes a season il be doin good lol Thanx again lads any one who shoots 222 id be interested hest from yas:good:

only problem with this caliber is factory ammo.... nobody shoots them. 

.223 and .22-250 prob has the most amount of factory ammo available .223 being cheaper than .22-250 ive had both and will stick to .22-250

faster and flatter what's not to like?

can guarantee one thing the .223 and .22-250 will be factory chambered cals for years yo come.   cant see that with .222

There were several reasons why I chose 22/250.

It was for use on Fox, Roe in Scotland and fallow in the Republic. ( Before the law changed. )

If was just for fox only I suppose I would go with .223 on the grounds that I doubt I'd be taking foxes further than 300y

and it would be cheaper to reload.

I went the 223 route as ammo is easily available and it’s abit cheaper on ammo than the 22/250, my rfd stocks all brand and grain weight. From what I have heard it’s also abit Quieter than the 22/250, so it ticked all the boxes that I was after.

what ever you choose they are all good for Fox 

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 08:31, cookoff013 said:

if you ask your local RFD to get ammo in they should. i mean come on we are in the 21st century. its just 10 seconds admin time to actually order stuff. 

if they dont then you should be questioning yourself, WHY?

Its the amount they will have to order compared to how quickly it will move off their shelf. Most RFDs are strapped for cash and don't want slow moving stock. 

Edited by Vince Green

Guest cookoff013

well, its not entirely difficult as that.

.22-250 is a popular calibre, not flavour of the month now but highly desirable and still mass produced. 

it could be argued the same with a .204 ruger, i`m betting there is a small amount of guys use this, and ask there local RFD to set a small supply, i see it no different from any other product. 

there may be minimal order contracts, but i`m sure this can be discussed with initial purchase etc. 

same with all ammunition. even weirdo nontoxic shotshells. 

Well lads I said id let yous know regards foxing calibre and my decision is 222 already put money down on CZ My reason being is wanted something bit different i know 223/22250 have taken over but the ranges and amount of foxes il b shooting the 222 ticks all the boxes there enough gun shops hear in Northern Ireland Stock 222 ammo So thanks for your replys regarding 22/250 and 223 :good:

48 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Well lads I said id let yous know regards foxing calibre and my decision is 222 already put money down on CZ My reason being is wanted something bit different i know 223/22250 have taken over but the ranges and amount of foxes il b shooting the 222 ticks all the boxes there enough gun shops hear in Northern Ireland Stock 222 ammo So thanks for your replys regarding 22/250 and 223 :good:

Good for for you mucker , if that’s the one you want then it’s the perfect choice ??

No issue with being to much gun,  but I found that is was never as accurate as 222/223/204 in the two I have had experience of.   It is a great killer when it hits though. Personally would not buy another and certainly not buy a used one as the barrel may well be shot out.  

A

10 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

No issue with being to much gun,  but I found that is was never as accurate as 222/223/204 in the two I have had experience of.   It is a great killer when it hits though. Personally would not buy another and certainly not buy a used one as the barrel may well be shot out.  

A

Can't comment on 204 but my 22/250 (mostly used of bi pods) is probably more accurate than my 222 , both are way better than the 223 I had. Agree about the shot out comment but no reason why a looked after 22/250 wouldn't give years of accurate use or be less accurate than the calibres you mention.

On 24/02/2018 at 22:04, Gerry78 said:

CZ527? Got the American in .223 and enjoy shooting it. Hope you find the same!

4 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Cheers scrumbag i never bought it new its in pretty good shape stock rifileing etc Il just be waiting a time for it to come through backlog for paperwork etc It will only be used for the odd fox just have to put scope on rifle when i get it

Well, now you have it: get your dope, plink and be merry!